Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Avengers vs. X-Men, Where to start?

esreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By esreborn

I'm still new in the comic book world and for the most part I've been buying primarily DC comics to get caught up in that universe. I just recently started buying Spider-Man, Iron Man, Avengers comics these past couple of weeks; yet I won't have time for a while to start reading them.

I don't know anything about the Marvel universe other than basics (but you might consider that limited). I heard of a Hope? Cable is the son of Jean Grey and Scott Summers? Things like that which should be common knowledge I just found out about. So that just goes to show how much I know.

My question is, what would you consider mandatory reading to be brought up to speed on the big AVX story.

Below are the comics I've recently purchased and I have yet to research a proper read order as well. What else do I need to get/read?

• New Avengers 1-64 + 3 Annuals + All the mini-series that impacted the New Avengers
    • Avengers Illuminati
    • Avengers Dissembled
    • Civil War
    • Secret War
    • Secret Invasion
    • Siege (and related 1-shots)
    • House of M 1-8
    • Spider-Man House of M 1-5
    • Spider-Man: American Son 1-4
    • Identity Wars (Deadpool, Hulk, Spider-Man)
    • The Avengers Annual 1
    • The Avengers 24.1
    • The New Avengers 20, 22, 23
    • Avengers Sanction 1-4
    • Venom 13.1-13.4 (bought because I'm going to frame the covers together; badass)
    • Avengers Assemble 1
    • Avengers vs. X-Men 0
    • Amazing Spider-Man 546-564, 574-607, 612-637, 642-657, 674, 681, 682
    • Spider-Man Marvel Adventures 1
    • Web of Spider-Man 1-7
    • Brand New Day Spider-Man Swing Shift Director's Cut
    • Amazing Spider-Man Annual 35, 36, 37
    • Amazing Spider-Man Extra One-Shot 1, 2, 3
    • Amazing Spider-Man: Dark Reign The List (One-Shot)
    • Amazing Spider-Man: The Short Halloween (One-Shot)
    • Amazing Spider-Man: The Many Loves of (One-Shot)
    • Amazing Spider-Man: Brand New Day (One-Shot)
    • Anti-Venom 1-3

I'm pretty big on getting the "full-story" for anything that I'm interested in. While I would prefer to read the mandatory stories for now, I would most certainly be interested in hearing of other big stories. To give you an example on how serious I am about "getting the full-story," check out my DC read order (still in progress). http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/esreborn/deciphering-a-batman-centric-read-order/87-79192/

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject!

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Chaos Burn

X-men Second Coming? sets up Hope nicely

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By BatteredArmor

How about #0

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

Fear Itself, Chaos War, Schism
    BB

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chaos Burn

@Billy Batson said:

BB

oh god not Schism, imo it was awful.

Basically buy the last issue and you'll get Wolverine moving out, and you'll be clued up

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

@Chaos Burn said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Basically buy the last issue and you'll get Wolverine moving out, and you'll be clued up

Guy already has Siege, might as well go all out.
    BB

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chaos Burn

@Billy Batson said:

@Chaos Burn said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Guy already has Siege, might as well go all out.
    BB

hah fair enough

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By CATPANEXE

It's hard to say, as it hasn't been nailed down/published in full yet.

The writers specifically state this story stems directly from Avengers The Children's Crusade.

The X-Men Hope 1-shot collects her important background. I think, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that this book also had a rather lengthy

bio at the end of it summoning up much about the Phoenix Force, seemingly to set the stage for this very event.

Getting as in depth as you suggested on her character and story, are the story arcs Messiah Complex, Endangered Species, Messiah War, Utopia,

Nation X, Second Coming, Schism. and Regenesis.

The volumes of Cable (2008-2010), X-Men The Life & Times Of Lucas Bishop, and Generation Hope would also be on your list their.

You seem to have the essentials covered on Scarlet Witch in this event otherwise.

Ms.Marvel is shown to have a crucial part in the story, and one that will change her characters direction. See: Ms.Marvel (2006-2010)

Noh-Varr aka Protector is shown to have an important role in the series. Marvel Boy, Dark Avengers #1-6, and Dark Avengers Annual briefly cover his back story to now.

The character Captain Marvel is shown to have relevance, but I'm uncertain of which stories exactly play in at this point.

Much of what you have listed I'm not personally certain has relevance, and seems a list of reading just for Marvel in general.

If that's the case than reading Initiative, World War Hulk, Dark Reign, Siege, and Heroic Age centric issues would probably be in line for you,

though I still doubt their relevant to this new event. The Spider-man comics you listed don't seem of any relevance to the event to me.

Most characters onsite have issue appearance pages as I'm sure you already know, and cross-referencing key characters may help you out.

More will be apparent when the actual AvX comics themselves are printed of course.

That's all I can think of.

esreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By esreborn

@CATPANEXE said:

It's hard to say, as it hasn't been nailed down/published in full yet.

The writers specifically state this story stems directly from Avengers The Children's Crusade.

The X-Men Hope 1-shot collects her important background. I think, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that this book also had a rather lengthy

bio at the end of it summoning up much about the Phoenix Force, seemingly to set the stage for this very event.

Getting as in depth as you suggested on her character and story, are the story arcs Messiah Complex, Endangered Species, Messiah War, Utopia,

Nation X, Second Coming, Schism. and Regenesis.

The volumes of Cable (2008-2010), X-Men The Life & Times Of Lucas Bishop, and Generation Hope would also be on your list their.

You seem to have the essentials covered on Scarlet Witch in this event otherwise.

Ms.Marvel is shown to have a crucial part in the story, and one that will change her characters direction. See: Ms.Marvel (2006-2010)

Noh-Varr aka Protector is shown to have an important role in the series. Marvel Boy, Dark Avengers #1-6, and Dark Avengers Annual briefly cover his back story to now.

The character Captain Marvel is shown to have relevance, but I'm uncertain of which stories exactly play in at this point.

Much of what you have listed I'm not personally certain has relevance, and seems a list of reading just for Marvel in general.

If that's the case than reading Initiative, World War Hulk, Dark Reign, Siege, and Heroic Age centric issues would probably be in line for you,

though I still doubt their relevant to this new event. The Spider-man comics you listed don't seem of any relevance to the event to me.

Most characters onsite have issue appearance pages as I'm sure you already know, and cross-referencing key characters may help you out.

More will be apparent when the actual AvX comics themselves are printed of course.

That's all I can think of.

This was very helpful, thanks a lot!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @esreborn: Avengers X-Sanction

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.