Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Avengers Vs. X-Men for a beginner?

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've wanting to get into Marvel NOW! for a good while, and all of the NOW! books take place after Avengers Vs. X-Men, so can I read all of the issues of Avengers Vs. X-Men without getting confused?

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jonez_

I don't understand the question...

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120: I'm pretty much a beginner in comics and I'm interested in Avengers Vs. X-Men so can a beginner understand this book in terms of characters, references etc.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, you won't get confused...but it's a pretty mediocre event...probably not worth your time...just read the synopsis to see what has happened since then...

Read "Battle of the Atom" (X-Men event) instead...

LightPsyche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By LightPsyche

The AvX series was my first start to comic book-dom...but the NOW! titles aren't necessarily tied to the event.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By oldnightcrawler

No, you won't get confused...but it's a pretty mediocre event...probably not worth your time...just read the synopsis to see what has happened since then...

pretty much. or you could just read Avengers Vs X-Men: Consequences. It's half as long, and better written.

Read "Battle of the Atom" (X-Men event) instead...

this, conversely, is terrible advice.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mxyzptlk_CV
    JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mxyzptlk_cv: It's probably the most confusing thing for a beginner you could've picked. Are you trying to turn him off of comics?

OP: Anyways, dude skip AvX and just read what you want. Come back with a list of NOW! or All-New NOW! titles you're interested in, an we'll let you know if you need any backstory (you shouldn't).

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skip it and just jump into Marvel NOW. It's very accessible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

@oldnightcrawler: Why? I thought it was good... :P and not very confusing...

I quit the minute all those other X-Men from other timelines popped up. Too many sh*t characters and stuff going on that I don't care about.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

actually? well I'm glad somebody liked it, I guess.

To me it wasn't even as good as other X-men crossovers happening that same month, let alone any other time.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: thats what Marvel thinks at least... whether that's true or not is entirely debatable.

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

actually? well I'm glad somebody liked it, I guess.

To me it wasn't even as good as other X-men crossovers happening that same month, let alone any other time.

lol sadly this is very true. BOTA was a disaster. All the characters were completely off... except perhaps for Young Cyke... all those future people... past originals... sheesh it was a clusterfu@k of epic proportions and could NOT be a worse starting point for a new reader.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@devilsgrin81: maybe if the whole thing had been a storyline within All-new', or just between All-new' and Uncanny', but it just felt really all over the place for no good reason. It felt like a crossover just for the sake of a crossover, and ultimately just a train wreck because of it.

But, yeah, even then it would have been a terrible place to start.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the advice folks! Just a quick question, how is Deadpool NOW, Daredevil NOW and Hawkeye NOW. I've been hearing a lot of praise and mixed things. So far I've read the first two volumes of All New X-Men (it's been great) and the first volume of avengers and uncanny and new avengers.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the advice folks! Just a quick question, how is Deadpool NOW, Daredevil NOW and Hawkeye NOW. I've been hearing a lot of praise and mixed things. So far I've read the first two volumes of All New X-Men (it's been great) and the first volume of avengers and uncanny and new avengers.

Hawkeye's been great, one of Marvel's best books overall.

I haven't been reading Daredevil since issue 27 (because I've been waiting for the trades), but I would totally recommend at least those first 27 issues.

Uncanny Avengers just gets even better as it goes, especially after the first trade. One of the best Avengers books in years.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dudes, i just wanna like mention that i'm reading a whole other series called A+X and it's awesome... It's about a year old. I have not read A-vs-X yet, although i hear so much about it but I feel like THE ONLY ONE ON EARTH whose familiar with this awesome whole other series and I recommend it. Obviously it's X-Men PLUS Avengers, each comic holds 2 separate stories of 1 X-Man tagged up with 1 Avenger.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I will mention though that the artwork varies. Like a lot.. Some of the issues have amazing artwork, others are poor and then some are like 3-D'ish. I wish they kept the same artist throughout the entire series.

iMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX isn't too hard, the synopsis covers the story arc well though and probably much more concisely than trying to read it yourself and figure it out. Deadpool NOW is pretty good but I prefer the artwork in Thunderbolts and I find the series absolutely hilarious..... for instance when the little girl gives him 10$ on the subway during the infinity event, priceless!

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just really disappointed with the Psylocke / Spider-Man issue, and kinda lost track after that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.