Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

AGE OF ULTRON Marvel's NEXT BIG EVENT.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cavemold
    No Caption Provided

“Age of Ultron” has been teased at Marvel Comics in one form or another for more than two years — including the timeline in Avengers #5, Avengers #12.1(re-released this past Free Comic Book Day), 2011′s Marvel Point One one-shot and just this past Friday with a binary code that translates to “Age Of Ultron.”

It looks like full details of the project — which we know involves writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Bryan Hitch — will be revealed today around 3 p.m., during Marvel’s latest “Next Big Thing” conference call with the comic book press. We’ll be on the line covering the conference live as it happens, and this page will be continually updates with the latest — so keep hitting refresh.

On the line: Writer Brian Michael Bendis and executive editor Tom Brevoort. “Age of Ultron” is a 10-issue limited series, shipping between March and June. Bryan Hitch will be drawing the first five issues, and the second five will be drawn by Brandon Peterson and Carlos Pacheco. “There will be a very cool reason for the artistic shift,” Marvel marketing’s Arune Singh says.

“‘Age of Ultron’ is about Ultron finally fulfilling his destiny, accelerating his intelligence and taking the Earth,” Bendis says. “The Marvel Universe has been taken by Ultron. There has been a shocking amount of devastation and casualty.”

Bendis clarifies that though the story started in Avengers, the story involved the entire Marvel Universe. “It stars the Avengers, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Moon Knight, Black Widow, it goes all over the place,” the writer says.

Bendis continues, saying they wanted to give readers a “unique” Bryan Hitch experience by waiting to solicit the book until his section was done, thus allowing the issues to ship rapidly. “We came up with a schedule that allows us to tell the whole story in a smaller batch at a time, and get to the stuff at the end, which is really kind of shocking and big for us and the Marvel Universe.” Bendis says there are only six people who know the ending, and he’s not even telling some of his closest friends. “That’s how big of a secret it is.”

“There’s a break in this story that’s pretty seismic,” Bendis says, leading to the artist change. “Overall, a unique event experience,” Bendis continues, saying the story is about what happens when one of the biggest villains in the Marvel Universe succeeds in doing what he always wanted to do.

Brevoort adds that they have about 150 pages of “beautiful, top-of-his-game Bryan Hitch artwork” turned in. “We have a substantial amount of this series in the can already,” Brevoort says.

How is this a different type of event for Bendis? Bendis says it’s more “contained” than others, and that the tie-ins will be contained to something more manageable and easy to digest. “Like House of M, there will be tie-ins, but it won’t be a budget-buster,” the writer says, adding that readers can buy-in at whatever level they’re comfortable.

“It reminds me of Infinity Gauntlet in that what’s happening is so outrageous,” Bendis says. “The artists that I’ve mentioned today are the artists that can do this. There are very few artists that can bring it with the gravitas that they have.”

Brevoort says that Age of Ultron essentially begins where other events end. “Ultron is here, he’s already put his footprint onto the landscape. This is happening today, in the contemporary Marvel Universe. It is happening in the Marvel NOW! Marvel Universe.” “This is Marvel NOW! with at least three or four exclamation points, instead of just the one,” Bendis jokes. “And it is in continuity.”

Bendis says the seeds go back to the 2007 Mighty Avengers story by him and Frank Cho, and the most relevant prologue would be this year’s Free Comic Book Day issue/Avengers #12.1.

First press question, from Word Balloon, asks about timing: Brevoort says it’ll be three issues in March, three in April, two in May, two in June, plus an epilogue in June. There will be a about six or seven tie-ins total, mostly in May, including an issue of Superior Spider-Man.

More ART AND PANELS HERE -http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=48102

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cavemold

Who will die?

Who will pick this up?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

Oh, so this is an actual event, not an Avengers crossover? Eh, I may pick it up in TPB if it gets good reviews.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@SmashBrawler: Everyone is an Avenger now

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

This should be pretty awesome, I'm looking forwards to it.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Jonny_Anonymous: I meant that it's an actual event instead of something like Avengers Disassembled.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Death Certificate

Oh FFS with another event

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cavemold

this event will be a 10 issue event in 4 months. tons of double shipping

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cavemold

@SmashBrawler said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: I meant that it's an actual event instead of something like Avengers Disassembled.

yea its universe event. Bendis is the main writer. so the x-men will have hand in this

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

WHEN WILL BENDIS LEAVE THE AVENGERS ALONE?!

I'm sorry, but even when he's not writing the damn title, he's writing the damn title. Dude, you've had your say on the team for like, 10 years already. Move on, and leave them alone.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Marvel, please fire Tom Brevoort & Joe Quesada....

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Martian

Ultron will just lose at the end... ;)

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cavemold

@Vance Astro said:

Marvel, please fire Tom Brevoort & Joe Quesada....

thats not happen until they quit lol

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cavemold

@Gambit1024 said:

WHEN WILL BENDIS LEAVE THE AVENGERS ALONE?!

I'm sorry, but even when he's not writing the damn title, he's writing the damn title. Dude, you've had your say on the team for like, 10 years already. Move on, and leave them alone.

never he is ultron lol

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @mr.obvious said:

Ultron will just lose at the end... ;)

But the twist will be, he merges with the Vision and becomes an Avenger. 10 years later he will take over the Vision completely and we'll do this again.
    reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By reignmaker

#@&! Time to take out another student loan so I can afford this.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cavemold

maybe thats why vison is getting a one shot lol

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Martian

@Vance Astro: I will not be surprised AT ALL if this actually did happen, lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gambit1024

@Cavemold: If the big reveal in this event is that Bendis was Ultron all along, that would mean that Hank Pym created Bendis. And if Pym, my favorite Marvel character ever, is the one that created that monster, then... welp, I just wouldn't know what to do with myself. It would kill me.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

@Cavemold: If the big reveal in this event is that Bendis was Ultron all along, that would mean that Hank Pym created Bendis. And if Pym, my favorite Marvel character ever, is the one that created that monster, then... welp, I just wouldn't know what to do with myself. It would kill me.

The big reveal is that Bendis created Stan Lee.
    Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cavemold

@Vance Astro said:

@Gambit1024 said:

hahah at least moonknight is coming back.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gambit1024

@Vance Astro said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Bendis creates Stan Lee -> Stan Lee creates Hank Pym -> Hank Pym creates Ultron -> Ultron is Bendis all along.

God, I hate Marvel.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Hawkeye left standing (reflection) must be Bendis.........don't know if I'm even gonna try this one although I do like Ultron.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cavemold

it didnt take long to drop another event. Life is uneventful in MU lol

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#25  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'm glad that we're finally getting to this Ultron storyline Marvel's been hinting at, but I'm not sure how I feel about Bendis writing it as it said that he was done writing the Avengers. I'm also not happy that Bryan Hitch is only going to be drawing half of the series, as I wish Marvel would actually have one consistent artist for a whole series instead if having two or three artist working on one series.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cavemold

@War Killer said:

I'm glad that we're finally getting to this Ultron storyline Marvel's been hinting at, but I'm not sure how I feel about Bendis writing it as it said that he was done writing the Avengers. I'm also not happy that Bryan Hitch is only going to be drawing half of the series, as I wish Marvel would actually have one consistent artist for a whole series instead if having two or three artist working on one series.

i beleive the 4m time period was to much for one artisit

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By kingjoeg

*sigh*...Better not tie-in to jonathan hickmans avengers. I want the current writers to be able to tell their own stories. Definatley not buying this crap, and isn't that peter parker bryan hitch has drawn? Pretty sure he's being replaced.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Cavemold said:

@War Killer said:

Which is another problem Marvel has, they care more about getting more issues out but in doing so they're constantly switching up creative teams, which in the end only hurts the books as there isn't an constancy.

Quantity over quality is never a great idea; no matter how many issues Marvel is able to generate, the fact that their sacrificing great stories for the sake of getting more comics out isn't helping the business, nor is it a better way to beat DC's New 52. It's just a cheap way to put more comics on the shelves.
    Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cavemold

@kingjoeg said:

*sigh*...Better not tie-in to jonathan hickmans avengers. I want the current writers to be able to tell their own stories. Definatley not buying this crap, and isn't that peter parker bryan hitch has drawn? Pretty sure he's being replaced.

im 100 percent certain new avengers will tie into it and that new spider man lol

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cavemold

@War Killer said:

@Cavemold said:

@War Killer said:

Which is another problem Marvel has, they care more about getting more issues out but in doing so they're constantly switching up creative teams, which in the end only hurts the books as there isn't an constancy. Quantity over quality is never a great idea; no matter how many issues Marvel is able to generate, the fact that their sacrificing great stories for the sake of getting more comics out isn't helping the business, nor is it a better way to beat DC's New 52. It's just a cheap way to put more comics on the shelves.

alot peoole complained how long AVX took this marvel way of shortening the event.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @kingjoeg said:

From what I can tell by just looking at cover is that it was drawn apparently before Marvel Now! was announced as, if you look at the different characters, they are all wearing their previous costumes before Marvel Now! Cap is still wearing his previous uniform, not his new more militaristic one; Iron Man is wearing his Bleeding Edge armor in the cover but instead now has the black/gold color scheme he's currently sporting in his new series; Hulk isn't wearing his new armor, and if you can spot Ms. Marvel buried underneath there you can see that she's wearing her lightning bolt costume, not her Captain Marvel suit.
    Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cavemold

@War Killer said:

@kingjoeg said:

From what I can tell by just looking at cover is that it was drawn apparently before Marvel Now! was announced as, if you look at the different characters, they are all wearing their previous costumes before Marvel Now! Cap is still wearing his previous uniform, not his new more militaristic one; Iron Man is wearing his Bleeding Edge armor in the cover but instead now has the black/gold color scheme he's currently sporting in his new series; Hulk isn't wearing his new armor, and if you can spot Ms. Marvel buried underneath there you can see that she's wearing her lightning bolt costume, not her Captain Marvel suit.
    yea thats true!
    Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cavemold

they are triple shipping the first month crazy

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By kingjoeg

@War Killer: Bendis said its set in the marvel now era in the article mate

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tg1982

yay. another "event" *yawn*

We''ll see if this one is any good.

I hope so, I like Ultron alot. One thing I can't figure out is their costumes. As said it's set during Marvel Now! but they are in their current costumes, unless this picture was drawn before the news of Marvel NOW! was released and no one knew of the costume changes, it was said to have gone back to 2007, who knows how old this picture actually is.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By John Valentine

Love that Hawkeye seems to be the last Avengers standing.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cavemold

hawkeye arrow are pure !

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @kingjoeg said:

@War Killer: Bendis said its set in the marvel now era in the article mate

I did read the article and I know it's set during Marvel Now!, I was just pointing out that if you look closely at the cover it's obvious that the Avengers are wearing their pre-Marvel Now! costumes as I already pointed out. I just found it a bit odd because you would think Marvel would keep their artist up-to-date on what costumes the heroes are currently wearing.
    chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chocobojam

Could it be that at the end of this event that Ultron will also become an Avenger!!?

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cavemold

ultron the avengers!

Sinfulplayerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sinfulplayerx

@Cavemold

said:

ultron the avengers!

No Caption Provided
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By sethysquare

wtf, another event right after the event just ended?

Avatar image for the_hulks_anger
    The_Hulks_Anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Hulks_Anger

Unfortunately events seemt to sell well regardless of if the overall story is a hit...Marvel knows this and won't stop cashing that check till it bounces. That said I hope this event has some memorable moments.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.