Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

A Descent Into the Maelstrom?

BrotherEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 51

Edited By BrotherEye

And who might you be?

No Caption Provided

Chris Yost's New Warriors is a fun book and my first exposure to the New Warriors as a team. These aren't the New Warriors of old but an entirely new team with an interesting dynamic. Each one representing a different member of Marvel Earth's many different human derived races. Humans, Inhumans, Mutants, Godlings, Atlanteans, Clones and so on. The overarching mission being whether these races will survive the coming arrival of the Celestials. All in all, quite interesting. Currently, the team are involved in a somewhat late Inhumanity cross over. For those who don't know, the Infinity event was part of a big push by Marvel at promoting the Inhumans. The Inhumans being a splinter race of humans whose ancestors were experimented on by the alien Kree to serve as living weapons. During Infinity, Black Bolt the Midnight King and leader of the Inhumans detonated the Terrigen Bomb that contains the mutagenic material that activates the genes of those with Inhuman DNA. We learn that tribes of Inhumans long ago left their city of Attilan and travelled the world where they interbred with mankind meaning that the Terrigen Bomb activated a load of Nuhumans now. This has led to the Inhumans getting their own ongoing series written by Charles Soule who is a fine writer.

No Caption Provided

On the topic at hand, I have been wondering on potential plotlines and villains we might see pop up in Inhumans. Currently, Chris Yost's New Warriors in the midst of its Inhumanity where the young New Warrior Haechi is being fought over by two Inhuman tribes. One is led by Lash who was introduced in Inhuman but three mysterious beings have arrived on Earth on behalf of their mysterious master who is returning to Earth. Who could these guys be? Well, here is my theory on the matter... I believe this mysterious could be Maelstrom. The half-Inhuman/half-Deviant son of the Inhuman renegade scientist Phaeder who died long ago. Why do I think so? Well, Maelstrom is typically served by a trio of servants known as Maelstrom's Minions. And the three beings that appeared in New Warriors look a lot like said Minions. Could this mean Maelstrom is not far behind? As I understand it, the last time he featured was in Guardians of the Galaxy as an agent of Oblivion but hasn't had a role s far. That could change considering his enmity with the Inhumans and he could very well feature in Inhuman as a big villain alongside the Lineage, Lash and the Unspoken.

No Caption Provided

Personally, I feel great potential in Maelstrom. He's got nothing but hatred for his parent species namely both the Inhumans and the Deviants for how he was treated. His father was exiled from Attilan for his use of cloning and his mother was killed by the other Deviants. As such, he hates the Inhuman Royal Family and has clashed with the Avengers in the past. He died a number of times but always came back with a vengeance. After dying at the Avengers, he managed to ascend into a powerful cosmic being and became an agent of Oblivion the very embodiment of nothing in the cosmos. At his height, he tackled with the Celestials and Thanos as well who was armed with the Infinity Gauntlet. So, I think he would offer a very dangerous and powerful foe for the Inhuman Royal Family to face. If the Unspoken was the Magneto of the Inhumans, then Maelstrom would be their Apocalypse.

So, could we be seeing Maelstrom coming back for a big role in Marvel's Inhumans? I really hope so...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.