10 Most Powerful Demons in Marvel

• 91 results
Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

Since i was a kid, i was very intrigued with the paranormal.. so with this, i enjoy reading comics that has a certain twist with the domain of the occult.. Now, how can we not discuss the occult without the demons.. This blog focuses mainly on the beloved demonic characters in Marvel.. from many demonic entities in Marvel, I've shorten the list to 10 of the baddest demons around in the entire marvel Continuity..  

to decide who should be placed on the list, i made 5 criteria to consider. they are: 

Power: the level of power of the demon 
Influence: the level of demonic influence they had to the universe 
Evilness: the extent of evil these demons possess 
Destruction: the extent of destruction the demon caused to the universe and such 
Defeats: the number of defeats the demon encountered from the hands of heroes, the lesser the defeats, the higher the score

each criteria is to be scored from 1 to 5, 5 being the highest..

Ready? then let the horror begin.. 

#10 - SURTUR   

Surtur is the gigantic fire demon who possess powers of apocalyptic proportions, this demon has been plaguing Asgard since time immemorial. He also wields the Sword of Doom, a magical sword capable of manipulating mystical energies and breaking to inter-dimensional barriers. He also wields the sword known as Twilight which is capable of summoning hordes of demons. 

As much as i love Surtur, i can only give him the tenth spot, for despite his powers, there are still some demons who had caused much trouble to the Universe, and spawned more horror than the gargantuan fire demon. 

Power: 4
Influence: 2
Evilness: 4
Destruction: 4
Defeats: 3      

#09 - NIGHTMARE 

Nightmare was once just a servant to the ancient demon Shuma-Gorath, but later realize that his power is far too great to be just a mere servant. He then escaped to a splinter dimension now known as the Dream Dimension. Inside his realm, Nightmare is virtually omnipotent capable of controlling the dimension's reality and cast powerful spells. He also managed to manipulate the cosmic being Eternity by putting 1/3 of Earth's population to sleep but was foiled by the Ancient One. Nightmare is not you typical demonic stereotype but he nevertheless possess great power and great influence over the Universe through dreams, but even with all his powers, he only take the 9th place in this list. 

Influence: 3
Evilness: 3
Defeats: 4      

#08 - THE DWELLER IN DARKNESS   

Spawned somewhere in the beginning of time, The Dweller in Darkness is a demonic entity who feeds off the fears of sentient beings. In the universe that existed before the current one, the Dweller in Darkness caused a crack in the M'Kraan Crystal, the Nexus of all realities which caused a chain reaction and unleashed the power of the N-Galaxy within it, causing the destruction of the Universe. The Dweller hoped to feed off the fears of all living beings knowning that the end is near, but the Phoenix Force touched all the minds of all living beings in existence and united them in peace, foiling the Dweller's plan. This demon reminicent of Chthulu is a demon who once destroyed the enitre universe. Now, the Dweller is nothing more but a shadow of his former power, but still is capble of such destruction.

Power: 3.5
Influence: 3
Evilness: 3.5
Destruction: 5

#07- SATANNISH   

Satannish is an extremely powerful Hell-Lord, said to be second only to Mephisto. Like other Hell-Lords, Satannish is known for granting mortals mystical power in exchange for their souls.  Satannish is a demonic being of pure mystical energy, an embodiment of evil. The guise he most often employs around human sorcerers is that of a green-skinned, horned being with a second face in his stomach. Satannish is more akin to a supernatural force of nature than a being; as such he possesses "virtually unlimited" mystic power which can be used for a variety of effects. Despite his great powers, Satannish the Supreme is nothing more but a creation of the Dreaded Dormammu, and he still hasn't shown any feat that make him stand out as an individual. 

Influence: 4
Destruction: 3
Defeats: 3.5     

#06 - BLACKHEART  

Blackheart is the son of Mephisto which he created from the accumulated evil of a town due to centuries of murders. He possesses great power also as great or possibly even greater than his father. He also possesses high intelligence and telekinetic abilities capable of destroying an entire planet by the force of  will. He seems to be at his strongest within the Dark Force Dimension. 

Blackheart is one of the cooler characters on the list. He is extremely powerful and cunning which allowed him to seize his father's throne for a while. His powers are considerable, but sadly, the soulless son of Mephisto only takes the 6th spot on the list. 

Power: 4.5
Influence: 3.5
Evilness: 4.5
Destruction: 3.5

#05 - SET  

Set is an Elder God and a Class One demon. He has one of the first sentient life to be born on Earth. Because of his greed for power, he killed his own brother making him the first murderer on the planet's history. He possess vast mystical power and his sheer size is capable of coiling alternate Earths. He is the Lord of the Serpent Men and creator of the Serpent Crown. He is portrayed as a seven headed serpent similar to the Great Beast from the Sea mentioned in the Bible. His ravenous appetite of this serpent-god could never be sated. Set is one of the most powerful demons in existence and is easily be one of the top 3. But what gave the Greater Destroyer a slip in the ranking is his constant defeats since the Hyborean Age which makes the Serpent's Sea, a reflection of his power to recede considerably. 

Power: 5 
Influence: 4.5
Evilness: 5
Defeats: 2.5    

#04 - DORMAMMU 

The dread Dormammu is a member of a race of beings made entirely of mystical energy known as the Faltines. He is the Lord of the Dark Dimension and being with more raw power than most mystical demons. He is also responsible for the creation of Satannish and he once dared enaged the cosmic entity Eternity in combat. Doctor Strange refers to Dormammu as his most terrible foe and a threat to all life in the universe that at full power no one can stand against. 
Dormammu may possess more raw power and have caused a great deal of trouble for the universe, but his impatience often gets the best of him resulting to his defeats. 

Influence: 4

#03 - MEPHISTO  

Mephisto is one of the Class Two demons what were spawned from the energies released from the destruction of the Elder Gods. He is arguably the most powerful of the Hell-Lords and a prominent figure of evil in the universe. he rules his own realm he call Hell or Hades,  a horrible place, where demons are tortured and torture others, and fiery pits of smoke and lava. Mephisto is nearly unstoppable while in his dimension, possessing power rival to a hungry Galactus.  

Mephisto is far from being the most powerful demon on the list, but his influence and prominence catapulted him to 3rd place on this list. Mephisto is probably the most well known of the demons in Marvel, the quintessential Devil and lord of lies. The dread Dormammu may be more powerful, but Mephisto outclasses him by sheer fame and influence on man. 

Influence: 5     
Destruction: 4..5 

#02 - SHUMA-GORATH 

Shuma-Gorath is an ancient demon of the highest order. Within his native dimension, he is completely omnipotent. Shuma-Gorath once ruled Earth until the powerful sorcerer Sise-Neg banished him. Even powerful demons such as Dormammu expressed inferiority to Shuma-Gorath, and powerful Hell-Lords such as Mephisto and Satannish claimed themselves as rats in a great temple while they were at Shuma-Goarth's lesser realms. 

Shuma-Gorath is without doubt one of the most powerful demons on the list, if not possibly the most powerful. But as of now, Shuma-Gorath is in deep slumber, and who knows what will happen if this horror awakens. 

Influence: 4.5

#01 - CHTHON  

And the top of the list goes to the Demon among Demons and He who holds the Darkness. Chthon is and Elder God, brother to Set and a Class One demon. Within his realm, he is, for all intents and purposes omnipotent, with the power to reshape reality at will. He is the creator of the Darkhold, the Book of Sins which caused so much evil throughout recorded history. He is also responsible for all creatures of the night such as Vampires, Witches, Werewolves and Zombies. Chthon is also the primal devil himself that predates the Judeo-Christian teachings. He is the demon who had foretold the end of the Holy Catholic Church and of the world itself, known today as the "Malachy Prophecy". His mere presence is so strong that it almost killed the Sorcerer Supreme himself, Doctor Strange and if not for the sorcerer's faith in what he calls "something far subtler and far more majestic that the great shadow" then all is lost even for the Sorcerer Supreme himself. 

What made Chthon superior than that of Shuma-Gorath in this list is not power. But rather, the demonic influence and pure horror that he had caused. He is the true devil according to the Holy Catholic Church in Marvel, the great shadow the creeps behind the feet of God. He is responsible for the corruption of the winged race of Akah Ma'at, celestial beings reminiscent of biblical angels. He also insigated the war been the corrupted winged beings known as the Asura and those still loyal of their creator, the Seraphim. His creations, the demons known as the N'Garai who onced ruled Earth were driven off to another dimension by the angel Lucifer and his army before his fall from grace. Even immensely powerful demons such as Mephisto and Dormammu invokes his unholy might, as well as the demon responsible for blessing Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch with powers beyond comprehension.  

If you fear demons, then know one thing. and that is to fear Chthon above all others.  

Influence: 5
#1 Posted by King Saturn (223716 posts) - - Show Bio
your list is pretty well done... though the defeats category confuses me... cause if Chthon is so powerful... then why does he have such a high number for Defeats ? 4 out of 5 is a little high of a percentage for being defeated isnt it...I mean if you are such a tough demon... why is there an 80 percent change I can beat you ??? 
#2 Posted by ckal (1097 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
" your list is pretty well done... though the defeats category confuses me... cause if Chthon is so powerful... then why does he have such a high number for Defeats ? 4 out of 5 is a little high of a percentage for being defeated isnt it...I mean if you are such a tough demon... why is there an 80 percent change I can beat you ???  "
I was a little confused by the defeats section also. Does the higher the number for defeats mean the less defeats they have had, or vice versa?

@lord_oraculous016:  Great list man, I can tell you put a lot of time and thought into this. I also learned some things too =) Nice job.
#3 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

You missed the biggest and most awful one:

Joe Quesada
#4 Edited by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@ckal said:

" @King Saturn said:

" your list is pretty well done... though the defeats category confuses me... cause if Chthon is so powerful... then why does he have such a high number for Defeats ? 4 out of 5 is a little high of a percentage for being defeated isnt it...I mean if you are such a tough demon... why is there an 80 percent change I can beat you ???  "

I was a little confused by the defeats section also. Does the higher the number for defeats mean the less defeats they have had, or vice versa?

sorry about the confusion.. what i meant is, lesser defeats, higher score.. my bad.. and thanks a lot for the compliments.. 

@FadeToBlackBolt: LOL
#5 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Dormammu should be above mephisto though

#6 Edited by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx said:

" Dormammu should be above mephisto though "

yes, Dormammu has more raw power, but Mephisto edged him out in influence..
#7 Posted by ckal (1097 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016:  OK that's what I thought. All good!
#8 Posted by Jake Fury (18059 posts) - - Show Bio

Honorable mention for.. 

The Beast of The Hand!
#9 Posted by darkrein (353 posts) - - Show Bio

I would debate Mephisto being more powerful then The dread Dormammu

#10 Posted by Edamame (27881 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: I thought that Shuma-Gorath was the most powerful in these regards.
#11 Posted by TheJuggernautpunch (6135 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: Shuma is the most powerful, but he put Chthon above him because he loves him more.
#12 Posted by Edamame (27881 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheJuggernautpunch said:
" @Edamame: Shuma is the most powerful, but he put Chthon above him because he loves him more. "
LOL. I see. So it went from being an objective truth to a subjective truth.
#13 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
" @Edamame: Shuma is the most powerful, but he put Chthon above him because he loves him more. "
such remarks are rude, inconclusive and hardly a debate worthy opinion.. the next time you even attempt to judge me, please try to read what I've written first.. sorry for the harshness of words.. but you my friend made a offensive claim..

@Edamame: not really.. if you would read the blog first, it was stated there that Chthon got the #1 spot just because of power.. if you would recall, i have acknowledged that Shuma-Gorath is probably the most powerful one in the list, but what made Chthon stand one is his scale of influence and horror caused in reality.. Chthon was the DEVIL or SATAN himself prior to judeo-christian teaching as well as in the views of the Holy Catholic Church.. he corrupted angel-like beings, spawned demons that were banished by the angel Lucifer, foretold the end of the church and the world itself.. i even created and tabulated stats in show them in numerical statistics to prove my points.. my opinions are based on facts and i was never a love sick puppy to judge my claims on such fan-boyish regards like some people here..
#14 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  Hmm, call me crazy but I had this feeling someone would bring him up =P.
#15 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: LOL
#16 Posted by TheJuggernautpunch (6135 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: Truth hurts, doesn't it ?
#17 Edited by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

" @lord_oraculous016: Truth hurts, doesn't it ? "

not really.. the truth never hurts because there is no space for lies.. the truth only hurts if you cannot the fact that you are lying to yourself.. so in context, its lies that hurts people, the truth can easily be brushed off since, it is what it is and you can never fool yourself for not believing it.. and that's the truth.. the only instance that you can get hurt from the truth is if your are lying to yourself..

what brushed me off is not what's written in your claims but rather, the rudeness and complete disregard for respect.. you can always disapprove something with someone but that doesn't give you the right to be rude and blatantly pointing fingers on someone..
#18 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" You missed the biggest and most awful one:

Joe Quesada
"
LOL
#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting write up, oraculous, you've clearly done your research. I enjoyed reading it :)

#20 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: thank you so much.. your compliments humble me..
#21 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: No worries, as I said, I enjoyed reading it, and I thank you for putting it up :)
#22 Edited by TheJuggernautpunch (6135 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: You're certainly a big fan of Chthon. I've noticed it. You were also putting Chthon above Shuma in another thread. Chthon is nowhere near Shuma-Gorath.
#23 Edited by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheJuggernautpunch: both are my favorites if you must know, and i honestly can't remember ever stating Chthon is more powerful than Shuma.. i remember once siding on a stalemate and that is all it.. plus, if you would review my blog i have clearly said that Shuma-Gorath is more powerful than Chthon.. and its influence is what tipped the balance in Chthon's favor.. i ask you to do such and i will clarifiy any misunderstood ideas..
#24 Edited by TheJuggernautpunch (6135 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: Stalemate ? You're out of your mind. Shuma-Gorath would destroy Chthon. And WTF did you put Chthon on the same power level with Shuma ?
#25 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheJuggernautpunch: why? simply because Chthon achieved a level of power comparable to that of Shuma-Gorath and well above most other demons.. both are eternal rivals of the Vishanti, and either of the two are never fully defeated by the Vishanti themselves.. both are omnipotent in their native dimensions.. but i have to admit Shuma is still powerful as even Sise-Neg himself was not able to destroy him.. but there is a conundrum to these two.. if you remember, Doctor Strange was able to defeat Shuma-Gorath while Chthon's mere presence almost killed him.. and that showcase of powers and logic prompted me to make such decisions.. 
#26 Posted by TheJuggernautpunch (6135 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016:  Almost doesn't count. At the time he beat Shuma-Gorath he became the absolute master of black and white magic, was backed up by a lot of magical deities, and still it was very hard to beat Shuma. Was he like that when he faced Chthon ? No. Chthon is nowhere near Shuma-Gorath's power level.
#27 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheJuggernautpunch: true.. Strange won with the aid of the mystical deities but it doesn't really matter to Chthon either.. Strange was only saved by his faith and nothing else, same as i believe there is no power he can wield to protect himself from Chthon.. i'm a fan of Shuma-Gorath but i still do think Chthon is not as weak as you portray him to be.. Shuma-Gorath has been banished and defeated by several mystical deities before such as Crom.. 

Chthon was the reason why the Vishanti created the seat of the sorcerer supreme.. and Chthon is the supreme-most being of the dark arts as well as of the magic known as Chthonic Magic.. i have also thought about the way these two demons travel to dimensions.. iirc, Shuma-Gorath has managed to return to Earth and is of sufficient power to break to dimensional barriers while Chthon cannot because there is no dimensional rift big enough to contain the enormous magical forces within him.. so those that mean he is more powerful than Shuma? unlikely, but the semantics says so.. 

plus, its unfair to judge that Chthon is no match for Shuma since Chthon doesn't have much feats to showcase for he has never been allowed to leave his realm unlike Shuma and Set.. no being has managed to fight Chthon firsthand but his powers and influence he emits even while in his realm is considerable.. plus remember the Scarlet Witch? look what she did..
#28 Posted by Prince CortSether (2301 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: Nice list. I do agree with Chthon being higher than Shuma-Gorath in terms of influence due to the fact that Chthon is more buried in recent memory whereas Shuma-Gorath was at his highest menace before recorded history (though for the length of terrorizing Earth before banishment, Shuma has it won in that department). 

@lord_oraculous016 said:
" @TheJuggernautpunch: Shuma-Gorath has been banished and defeated by several mystical deities before such as Crom..  

Things occurring in the Hyborean era in the Conan series have no canon bearing on 616 though, even for the short time that Conan was published by Marvel. Also, Steve Englehart who had written all of Shuma's appearances in the Classic Dr Strange adventures had nothing to do with the Shuma-Gorath in the Conan series. Though, if you do want to take that into consideration as being completely relevant, it's not that much of a low showing. Shuma was still able to summon rains of fire and commit murder while trapped in a mountain, and at the very end it was only banished by Crom from afar, never in a direct confrontation. Though the Conan version of Shuma apparently is far weaker than Marvel Earth's version.

Chthon was the reason why the Vishanti created the seat of the sorcerer supreme.. and Chthon is the supreme-most being of the dark arts as well as of the magic known as Chthonic Magic.. i have also thought about the way these two demons travel to dimensions.. iirc, Shuma-Gorath has managed to return to Earth and is of sufficient power to break to dimensional barriers while Chthon cannot because there is no dimensional rift big enough to contain the enormous magical forces within him.. so those that mean he is more powerful than Shuma? unlikely, but the semantics says so..  

Shuma-Gorath never actually brings the embodiment of his true self after his banishment by Sise-Neg though...he tried to appear on Earth once by using the mind of the Ancient One, which failed because of Dr. Strange's murder, and the only other time was when he was severely weakened and hungry (and that story was horrible writing if you ask me, hell it states that Shuma-Gorath's equilibrium is its biggest weakness and Shuma becomes dizzy and falls down. Gods shouldn't even have equilibriums lol). When Shuma-Gorath does conquer dimensions (Universes) it never brings the full embodiment of its power to that realm. We know that because while in a lesser realm Shuma's evil energy made Kaluu collapse and foam at the mouth, and that deeper into the dimensional abyss Strange went, the more powerful the mystic energy became. In either case, Shuma-Gorath has been able to pull Marvel Earth within its realm and make everyone on it writhe in agony. I haven't seen Chthon demonstrate something on that scale...and if he can do that then we sure haven't seen it yet. We do know that Shuma's power busts galaxies just by its presence based by Kaluu's statement to Strange/Arioch.

plus, its unfair to judge that Chthon is no match for Shuma since Chthon doesn't have much feats to showcase for he has never been allowed to leave his realm unlike Shuma and Set.. no being has managed to fight Chthon firsthand but his powers and influence he emits even while in his realm is considerable.. plus remember the Scarlet Witch? look what she did.. "

Chthon just gave her the ability to wield magic, but the extent of her powers didn't come from Chthon. That's why he wanted her body so he could use it later, but then he got his ass kicked while trying to use her as his puppet and never was able to access her for power again. The extent of her Chaos Wave came from her and not Chthon. I really don't think Chthon is an omniversal power.
#29 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@Prince CortSether: thank you..
#30 Posted by Prince CortSether (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

No prob.

#31 Edited by "Colossus" (4111 posts) - - Show Bio

i think chthon may be near shuma gorath than you guys think i remember merlyn was unable to contain the darkhold and merlyn is the guy who fights Mad Jim Jim jaspers and such level threats 

not to mention scarlet witch has been depowerd when the darkhold was seperated on occasions

#32 Edited by fallenangel5991 (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: 
 I can't believe I didn't find this thread of yours earlier.

Your list seems pretty good.  The only thing I would disagree with in your list, is Surtur should definitely be more powerful than Nightmare and Dweller-In-Darkness.  
Personally I would put Surtur above even Blackheart.

Here is Surtur proving that he has enough power to bust an entire galaxy.

Here, we actually see Surtur destroying Beta ray Bill's galaxy. 

Below is Surtur actually beating Odin in combat, something no demon below Mephisto can ever hope of doing.

And the last scan shows just how freaking huge Surtur really is.

That is why I think Surtur is right after Mephisto.
#33 Posted by MarquisDeTagle_ (81 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: Great list. I also think Shuma-Gorath is the most powerful on the list, but Chthon seems to be badder and not far behind him. He clearly fits the description of the "Devil" like corrupting angels, seducing mortals and enduring sins, creations of dark creatures and the involvement of the Church. Very nice and informative.
#34 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

ok, i know i posted before, but im gonna make a more comprehensive list.  
10.  Surtur:  He killed Odin and is pretty tough.  He also has his own dimension.  Sadly for him, he cant leave it much and he doesn't possess people much (if ever).  he could do something pretty bad though--he will likely cause ragnarok, or effectively Revelations in Asgard.  Power:  5  Influence:  3  Evilness: 10  Destruction:  9  Defeats:  6+       
9.   Zadkiel:  he was an angel for a long time, but switched sides after gaining power when god let him bond to Johnny Blaze to save his soul.  He conqoured heaven which is pretty impressive, but it turns out god kinda let him by revealing that he was the true power behind the Ghost Rider force.  And right now he is burning in hell thanks to Mephisto.  Still, if Mephisto ever decides to let him out things could go pretty badly.  He is also probably one of the smartest on the list.  Power:  6  (used to be 9)  Influence:  5  (used to be 9)  Evilness:  10  Destruction:  8  (seemed big, but he never actually controlled heaven, he just thought he did)  Defeats:  1 (but it was a doozy)      
8.  Set:  a foe to match the gods of Earth.  he also will very likely be the one who opens up the gates of Hell so Mephisto can conquor the world.  doesn't do much right now, but he has in the past and he will again.  Power:  6  Influence: 8  Evilness: 10  Destruction:  9  Defeats:  8+     
7.  Blackheart:  Since he has beaten his dad (Mephisto) before and can walk earth freely as well as enter hell whenever he chooses, this guy has great opportunity.  He is also cool.  Power:  6  Influence: 10  Evilness:  10 (see name for proof)  Destruction:  9  Defeats:  8+      
6.  Dormmammu:  With Strange gone and the inexperienced Voodoo in, he has a great chance at destroying Earth.  which is what he wants.  most of the sorcerer supreme's job is to stop him from breaking into our dimension  he rules his own.  he also used hood to control much of the MU.  Power: 9  Influence:  7  Evilness:  10  Destruction:  6  Defeats: 10+ 
5.  Nightmare--his powers make him quite formidable, and he owns an entire dimension.  sure deadpool and trauma took down his influence a notch and he always places bellow mephisto, but he still could cause a lot of chaos and doesn't need to operate through hosts and supers like most other demons.  he is particularly frightening because unlike most of the others, he can twist people's minds not just punch everything into submission.  Power:  5  Influence:  9 (great over people, not so cool over other demons)  Evilness:  10  Destruction:  8  Defeats:  4+          
4.  Dweller of Darkness:  He was defeated, but not dead.  he wanders around the universe like galactus instead of being confined to his own dimension.  he is old, really old.  he could get to be omnipotent if he absorbed the right stuff.  Power:  8  Influence:  6  Evilness:  9  Destruction:  9  Defeats:  1+  
 3.  Chthon--powerful, but he pretends to be more powerful than he is.  its been established that the Christian Devil is Mephisto, who has the Hell the damned will go to, so Chthon is just an Eternal-like being who transformed himself into a demon.  and right now hes trapped in the Darkhold.  Power  7  Influence:  9  Evilness:  10  Destruction:  8  (everything can be undone since he is just a reality twister)  Defeats:  2+  
2.  Shuma Gorath:  in slumber, but ultra-powerful and God's first foe.  problem is, he doesn't control hell so he doesn't get all those souls.  Power:  10  Influence:  9  Evilness: 10  Destruction: 9  Defeats:  2 
1.  Mephisto--it appears he is the true Devil.  He is manipulating everything and just brought down his arch-nemesis Zadkiel.  He also has convinced one of the two Ghost Riders that they work for him.  He killed the Mockingbird skrull and rewrote history in One More Day.  and even though this doesn't influence the universe that much, he got Mary Jane's soul, so that is pretty awful.  Oh right, one more thing.  The ultra-powerful demon Maduk Kudris (the father of Hellstrom) is actually a creation of his.  Power: 10.  Influence:  10.  Evilness: 10.  Destruction:  10.  Defeats:  directly, none.    
#35 Edited by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@Violet-Eyed Dragon: an interesting list but you need to know some essential information.. 

Mephisto is nowhere near the power of other demons such as Shuma-Gorath, Chthon, Set and even Dormammu.. these mentioned demons would eat him alive.. 

• In one of the lesser realms of Shuma-Gorath, it was mentioned that demons such as Mephisto and Satannish are mice in a great temple.. 
  • Hell lords such as Mephisto are indirect spawns of the Elder Gods.. created from the dark energies released by the Demogorge after the fall of the Elder Gods.. 
  • Dormammu, as a being composed of pure mystical energy, possesses more raw power than any Hell-Lord, even Mephisto
  • Mephisto invokes Chthon's demonic might such as when he imprisoned the demon Darklove in one of the pages of the Darkhold..
  • Chthon is unlike Mephisto who is a collector of souls and bargains souls for wishes so that he may take possession of these souls.. Mephisto needs souls of the damned to be kept in his realm because he feeds off the psychic energies of these tormented to increase his powers.. whereas Chthon only sees these souls as his play things, manipulating them and corrupting them by inducing them to make sins..
  • Mephisto's fame to be known as devil is due to the fact he often comes to mortals and bargains their souls for wishes.. as for Chthon, he has caused so much evil even before the dawn of humanity.. he had corrupted angels, spawned demons and played with the fates of mortals.. he is the creator of all the creatures of darkness such as witches, werewolves, zombies and vampires..
  • the Holy Catholic Church never saw Mephisto as the devil.. Mephisto never sought more than to collect many souls as possible.. he is the one who masquerades himself as the devil, but he is far from being described as the embodiment of all evil.. on the other hand, Chthon is the great shadow who creeps behind the feet of God and the root of all evil.. he is the creator of the Darkhold.. known to all as the Book of Sins.. the Vatican and the Pope himself knows Chthon as the devil.. that is why all the sorcerers and the Catholic Chruch made a pact to end his evil.. the Chruch sent St. Brendan who aided the powerful wizard Merlin to stop the evil of the Darkhold.. but even them failed to destroy it..
  • Chthon is also responsible for the insanity of the Scarlet Witch who she "blessed" with a minuscule fraction of his unholy might during her birth.. the same Scarlet Witch who in the distant future re-wrote and altered the entire Omniverse beyond recognition and sent a catastrophic wave of pure Chaos that destroyed nearly everything and even feared to reach the Throne of God..

• Eternity himself likened Chthon to cancer saying that if he were to e left unchecked, he will utterly destroy all reality as we know it.. that is why the Vishanti, Gaea, the Mother Earth, the sorcerers and the Catholic Church all work together to prevent Chthon's influence, even if they must result to lies..
  • Chthon never claimed to be more powerful that he actually is.. he is a being of immeasurable power, so great infact that it is the very reason why he cannot leave his realm for no inter-dimensional rift can ever accumulate his immense power.. so he acts via host, a host who only possess a tiny fraction of his essence.. for there is no mortal, even the likes of the Scarlet Witch can ever contain his full demonic might..
  • Chthon is a God who went mad and degenerate into a Demon.. he seeks chaos and evil and has influenced mortals to commit sins.. the is the Devil himself according to the Pope, the Vatican and the entire Holy Catholic Church who is the root of all evil, and has foretold the end of the world and the fall of the Church known as the Malachy Prophecy.. and his weakest, none so far but it is known that he seems to be affected by Love, Faith and the Goodness in the heart of mortals.. 

Mephisto's accomplishment pales in comparison to those of Chthon, Shuma-Gorath and Set.. Elder Gods are beings with great power comparable to those of the Great Old Ones.. and Hell-Lords are just way beneath the likes of them.. 

Elder Gods / Great Old Ones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hell-Lords..  
#36 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016:   very interesting i did not know that.  however i think a bit of that has since been retconned.  the newest comics identify mephisto as king of hell and the actual devil himself.  chthon might have more raw strength (in fact it appears he has a lot of it), but in the ability to take the souls of humans mephisto reigns supreme.   unless of course mephisto and chthon are the same being with their powers split into two different bodies...
and just out of curiosity what makes chthon superior to shuma gorath they seem kind of equal??
#37 Edited by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@Violet-Eyed Dragon: ...  

actually there is no retconn involved.. Chthon never did fancy himself as the devil.. sure, he is considered by many to be the devil, but he never actually claimed the identity.. Mephisto is the King of Hell.. but there are other hells in Marvel.. Mephisto only rules a portion of it which he shares with other hell lords such as Satannish, Thog, Lucifer and Marduk Kurios.. Hell Lords such as them collect souls and keep it in their realms.. these tormented souls in one of the sources of their powers.. that is why these Hell-Lords pursue souls and even bargains them to mortals.. also, Mephisto is a Class Two Demon.. while Chthon is a Class One Demon..

Chthon on the other hand is nothing like that.. he is an infinite source of power by himself.. he is not dependent on souls for power.. that he does is he influence others to make sins and corrupt their souls making them his pawns.. Chthon loves to see mortals suffer and threat them like toys.. he also grant wishes like Mephisto in return for one's soul via the Darkhold Dwarf and the Other.. but unlike Mephisto, Chthon plays dirty, he twist the wishes.. ultimately causing more evil and chaos.. here are some of the poor individuals who fell into Chthon's darkness..

• When Morton Thurnton used a Darkhold page, Chthon appeared to him and summoned the Hellhound to aid him in finding weapons of destruction..
  • He gave a priest named Reverend Styge the ability to heal and resurrect the dead.. but in order so, he must feed on human flesh..
  • When a paralyzed woman named Clarisse Van Ripper used a page, the Other appeared to her and gave her the ability to sense the world through a demon..
  • A prison inmate named Norman "Mercy" Zachos used a page of the Darkhold and the Other granted him escape, but he was plagued by demons whenever he was in darkness..
  • The Other was summoned by a Mr. Hayward who wanted people to remember what he fought for in World War II. The Other created an army of Japanese planes that attacked Maui in a recreation of Hayward's memories. Many innocent people died..
  • On an airplane, Sarrah Roberts used a page and the Other came to her. The Other unleashed a demon that granted her wishes and those of the other passengers. These wishes were twisted so that malice could ensue..

Hell-Lords like Mephisto has struck a deal with Death in order for them to keep the souls of the damned.. on the other hand, Death despises Chthon because he combined life and death in a creature known as a vampire.. Death even assumed the guise of a Spaniard named Carlos Muerte to rival Dracula and oppose him in creating more vampires because they are cheating Death itself..   

also one interesting note is that Mephisto rules over one portion of Hell where he shares with six other Hell Lords.. such as Satannish, Thog, Asmodeus, Marduk Kurios (now ruled by Daimon Hellstrom), Lucifer and Beelzeboul.. Chthon on the other hand speaks to his worshipers through SEVEN HELLS..  

he experimented on innocent souls by combining the the essence of man, beast and demon which resulted the the creation of werewolves..  

he corrupted the angelic creations of Oshtur to be the executioners of lesser beings known as the Asura.. those who remained loyal to Oshtur in time became the Seraphims.. Chthon also spawned the race of demons known as the N'Garai which ruled over Earth millions of years ago but were driven off by the angel Lucifer and his army before his fall from grace..  

Doctor Strange himself also died when he came face to face with Chthon.. the only thing that save him is his unyielding faith in that he calls "something far subtler and far more majestic than the Great Shadow".. in recent times, the powerful mutant Exodus discovered a living source of unimaginable power hidden with Mt. Wundagore, the same mountain where the Scarlet Witch was born and an essence of Chthon is imprisoned..  

in more recent history, Chthon posing as Oshtur, manipulated the sorcerer Ian McNee in gathering the Four Cornerstones of Creation (the Sword of Bone of Oshtur, the Serpent Crown of Set, the Ebon Rose of Gaea and the Darkhold of Chthon).. with the other cornerstones, Chthon almost corrupted the very fabric of magic itself, enabling him to control all of creation.. but he was banished back by the combined efforts of Oshtur, Gaea and Set.. 

and just out of curiosity what makes chthon superior to shuma gorath they seem kind of equal??  

i still think Shuma-Gorath is still slightly more powerful than Chthon, or at most they are equal in power.. IMO, what makes Chthon best out Shuma-Gorath is the aspect of influence.. Chthon has caused many evil throughout history.. influencing man to commit sins and succumb to his darkness.. Shuma-Gorath seems to lost that touch in humanity.. Shuma-Gorath caused terror before the dawn of humanity, devouring humanoid apes and enslaving them in the process.. Chthon isn't like that.. what he wants is to see humanity suffer and ultimately be corrupted by his evil.. both Shuma-Gorath and Chthon are eternal rivals of the Vishnati.. but for some reason, the Vishanti seems to be more terrified of Chthon in a sense that they will do whatever it takes so that he will never return to Earth.. they even created the seat of the Sorcerer Supreme and the Book of the Vishnati just to combat Chthon's unholy influence.. even if they need to resolve to lies.. 

during Avengers Disassembled when the Scarlet Witch went insane and killed half of the Avengers, Doctor Strange came confronted the Scarlet Witch due to her abuse of magic.. 

Doctor Strange later said that there is no Chaos Magic (the power given by Chthon to the Scarlet Witch).. that the Scarlet Witch's powers is to manipulated reality itself.. 

but it was later revealed that Doctor Strange lied.. that there is truly Chaos Magic.. magic so powerful that it was thought to be non-existent.. Chthon later claimed that his feat was ended by a lie.. a lie that there is no God of Chaos, that there is no Chaos Magic.. 

that basically sums up who Chthon is.. the only thing i know is that.. 

^_^ 
#38 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016:   cool  i never knew this stuff   i bet doc strange just was confused, he didnt actually lie.  
 now i have a question.  you say mephisto only rules 1/13 of hell (5 going to the other hell lords, 7 for Chthon).  how come mephisto believes he can cause the apocalypse and get all the world's souls if he only has to share that much power?  im not denying your facts on chthon, im just wondering why mephisto seems to think he is the ultimate Devil.  or maybe its just one of his lies...
#39 Posted by RLAAMJR (2533 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016 said:
   how about Belasco?
#40 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@Violet-Eyed Dragon said: ...

" @lord_oraculous016:   cool  i never knew this stuff   i bet doc strange just was confused, he didnt actually lie.    now i have a question.  you say mephisto only rules 1/13 of hell (5 going to the other hell lords, 7 for Chthon).  

thanks.. actually, the splinter realms which also compose of the hell dimensions are equally divided to Seven Hells or Netherworlds.. Mephisto rules one of them.. 

there might be more than just seven realms of hell.. Dormammu once tried controlling all Hells with the help of his creation Satannish.. 

Chthon on the other hand resides in his own dimension known as the Other Realm which also known as the Dimension of Shadows or the Flickering Realm.. his realm is not connected to the realms of Hell ruled by the Hell Lords.. what he meant when he said that he speaks through seven hells, he may be suggesting that he is far more superior than any ruler of hell.. it was must be noted that Chthon is for all intents and purposes Omnipotent in his realm same as Shuma-Gorath, possessing total control over the dimensions reality.. Hell Lords are far more powerful within their realm but they were never described as omnipotent within them..  

how come mephisto believes he can cause the apocalypse and get all the world's souls if he only has to share that much power?  im not denying your facts on chthon, im just wondering why mephisto seems to think he is the ultimate Devil.  or maybe its just one of his lies..

well actually, it is not only Mephisto who believes or pose as the biblical Satan.. other Hell Lords do the same as well.. after the Demogorge released all the dark energy it gained after devouring most of the Elder Gods, these dark energies soon were shaped by the unconscious desire of their earliest human worshipers into various incarnations of evil which eventually gave rise to the Hell Lords.. these Hell Lords soon capitalized on the eventual human belief in a single Lord of Evil, Satan which was derived from the Hebrew word of adversary.. each demon claimed to be that being and named their realms Hell.. Mephisto is probably the most powerful of the Hell Lords.. that is why he thinks he is the ultimate devil.. or probably like you said, its just one of his lies..  

Chthon as influenced the lives of beings ever since the rise of the first sentient life.. he has been causing so much evil long before the rise of most Earthly religions and even before the word Satan has been invented.. that is why he is considered by the earliest civilizations as the primal embodiment of evil and the true devil himself even before and after the rise of the Judeo-Christian beliefs.. is this probably why Chthon is known as the Demon among Demons and He who holds the Darkness..

the best example of his demonic influence was when he corrupted the angels of Oshtur.. these angels rebelled and was ultimately banished.. very reminiscent of the biblical story of Lucifer and his fall from grace.. 

another interesting note is that Oshtur, who serves as Chthon's opposing power is depicted as an angelic being.. she is also associated with "Virgin Birth" as she gave birth to Agamotto without procreation.. he feast is also known as Eostre which is later absorbed into Christian belief as Easter and t he Christian Feast of the Annunciantion of the Virgin Mary.. 
#41 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio
@RLAAMJR said:
" @lord_oraculous016 said: how about Belasco? "
well Belasco is a human that degenerated into a demon.. plus his masters are the N'garai.. and we all know that the N'Garai are just creations of Chthon..  

Belasco is a powerful sorcerer.. but as a demon, he is still way back of the list.. ^_^
#42 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016 said:
" @Violet-Eyed Dragon said: ...

" @lord_oraculous016:   cool  i never knew this stuff   i bet doc strange just was confused, he didnt actually lie.    now i have a question.  you say mephisto only rules 1/13 of hell (5 going to the other hell lords, 7 for Chthon).  

thanks.. actually, the splinter realms which also compose of the hell dimensions are equally divided to Seven Hells or Netherworlds.. Mephisto rules one of them.. 

there might be more than just seven realms of hell.. Dormammu once tried controlling all Hells with the help of his creation Satannish.. 

Chthon on the other hand resides in his own dimension known as the Other Realm which also known as the Dimension of Shadows or the Flickering Realm.. his realm is not connected to the realms of Hell ruled by the Hell Lords.. what he meant when he said that he speaks through seven hells, he may be suggesting that he is far more superior than any ruler of hell.. it was must be noted that Chthon is for all intents and purposes Omnipotent in his realm same as Shuma-Gorath, possessing total control over the dimensions reality.. Hell Lords are far more powerful within their realm but they were never described as omnipotent within them..  

how come mephisto believes he can cause the apocalypse and get all the world's souls if he only has to share that much power?  im not denying your facts on chthon, im just wondering why mephisto seems to think he is the ultimate Devil.  or maybe its just one of his lies..

well actually, it is not only Mephisto who believes or pose as the biblical Satan.. other Hell Lords do the same as well.. after the Demogorge released all the dark energy it gained after devouring most of the Elder Gods, these dark energies soon were shaped by the unconscious desire of their earliest human worshipers into various incarnations of evil which eventually gave rise to the Hell Lords.. these Hell Lords soon capitalized on the eventual human belief in a single Lord of Evil, Satan which was derived from the Hebrew word of adversary.. each demon claimed to be that being and named their realms Hell.. Mephisto is probably the most powerful of the Hell Lords.. that is why he thinks he is the ultimate devil.. or probably like you said, its just one of his lies..  

Chthon as influenced the lives of beings ever since the rise of the first sentient life.. he has been causing so much evil long before the rise of most Earthly religions and even before the word Satan has been invented.. that is why he is considered by the earliest civilizations as the primal embodiment of evil and the true devil himself even before and after the rise of the Judeo-Christian beliefs.. is this probably why Chthon is known as the Demon among Demons and He who holds the Darkness..

the best example of his demonic influence was when he corrupted the angels of Oshtur.. these angels rebelled and was ultimately banished.. very reminiscent of the biblical story of Lucifer and his fall from grace.. 

another interesting note is that Oshtur, who serves as Chthon's opposing power is depicted as an angelic being.. she is also associated with "Virgin Birth" as she gave birth to Agamotto without procreation.. he feast is also known as Eostre which is later absorbed into Christian belief as Easter and t he Christian Feast of the Annunciantion of the Virgin Mary..  "
very interesting.  i am glad you explained this.  i now think chthon should be top of my list.   i guess when he spoke through the seven hells he was doing so by going through the Hell-Lords hells
its kinda confusing i guess cuz mephisto, the self-proclaimed prince of lies, likes to make himself out to be far more powerful than he really is.  
an interesting note--the number assosciated will hells and demons is 6, while angels and heaven have the number 7, so it is wierd that their are 7 hells instead of 6.  
one last question: how is it possible that something as powerful as Chthon is imprisoned in the Darkhold.  Is that completely holding him??
#43 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016 said:
" @RLAAMJR said:
" @lord_oraculous016 said: how about Belasco? "
well Belasco is a human that degenerated into a demon.. plus his masters are the N'garai.. and we all know that the N'Garai are just creations of Chthon..   Belasco is a powerful sorcerer.. but as a demon, he is still way back of the list.. ^_^ "
anyway, just because he says hes a demon doesn't make him that.  he is more just a really powerful metahuman. 
#44 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

my list      
10, satanissh
9.Blackheart
8.Mephisto  
7.Surtar
6.Dormamu  
5. Zom  
4.set    
3.chthon  
2..cytorak  
1.Shuma  

sorry about spelling
#45 Edited by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

very interesting.  i am glad you explained this.  i now think chthon should be top of my list.   i guess when he spoke through the seven hells he was doing so by going through the Hell-Lords hells 
its kinda confusing i guess cuz mephisto, the self-proclaimed prince of lies, likes to make himself out to be far more powerful than he really is.   

thank you.. actually in Marvel, there is Satan which is the Hell Lord Marduk Kurios.. and there is also Lucifer, the fallen angel who once fought against the N'Garai.. i also think Mephisto has some form of delusion of grandeur and goes out and telling everyone he is the true Satan.. why? he probably need this title to pursue more human worshipers and more souls for him to collect.. because we all know, the number of souls in a Hell Lord's realm is a testament to his powers.. the more souls he get, the more powerful he becomes..   

an interesting note--the number assosciated will hells and demons is 6, while angels and heaven have the number 7, so it is wierd that their are 7 hells instead of 6.

actually the number 6 itself doesn't have any demonic connotation.. it's the number 666 which is.. 666 is the number of the devil according to Judeo-Christian beliefs.. the number 7 is not exclusive for angels.. there are also 7 Demon Lords in Christian beliefs that signifies the 7 Deadly sins.. 

• Belphegor - Sloth
  • Mammon - Greed
  • Leviathan - Envy
  • Beelzebub - Gluttony
  • Asmodeus - Lust
  • Lucifer - Pride
  • Satan - Wrath

as you noticed.. both Lucifer and Satan are in the list.. its because, they are completely different beings.. Lucifer is actually the angel of God that He named in heaven as one of the most, or perhaps the most perfect angel ever created. It was only when Lucifer was cast down from heaven that his alternate entity was known as Satan.. Lucifer is the name of an angel whereas Satan is the name given to the devil. It is said that Satan has lived in the Spirit world for more than 6,000 years. In this regard he has not yet been visible to human beings. It is however foretold that he will make himself visible soon by appearing physically in the world and will call himself the Beast, a very remarkable being that will proclaim himself as God.. these concepts of demons were basically created during the ear of the Judeo-Christian beliefs.. 

now, where does Chthon fall in this category? apparently none.. the history of both Lucifer and Satan (Marduk Kurios) in Marvel fit the conventional description in the biblical context.. they are fallen angels and malevolent spirits of the Earth.. Chthon is an Elder God.. a primeval being and one of the first beings to inhabit the Earth.. the best description for him is that he is the great shadow behind the feet of God and the underbelly of creation.. the corruptor of angels and the source of all evil.. he transcends the words Lucifer or Satan, for the he is primeval darkness, and the Demon among Demons.. the lord of all horror, evil and chaos..  

one last question: how is it possible that something as powerful as Chthon is imprisoned in the Darkhold.  Is that completely holding him??

Chthon is not imprisoned in the Darkhold.. the Darkhold is his creation.. a book of evil where all his dark knowledge are inscribed.. he created the Darkhold as his touchstone and a way for his eventual return.. the reason for his imprisonment is because he is so powerful that there is no inter-dimensional rift big enough to contain his full essence.. there is also the intervention of Gaea and the Vishanti who make sure that his influence cannot reach Earth Dimension..  

the Darkhold has been used to summon him before and also used to banish him back.. but we must consider that those that have been summoned are just fractions of Chthon's full essence.. the first time he was summoned was during the 4th Century by the sorceress Morgan LeFay who served as the leader of a cult known as the Darkholders who worship Chthon and the Darkhold.. they have successfully summoned Chthon's essence but were unable to control him.. even the combined efforts of Morgan LeFay with the aid of Merlin cannot banish him back.. so they they imprisoned Chthon's essence to which is now known as Mount Wundagore..  

the second time Chthon was summoned was by Gregor Russoff,w ho has desperate to remove the curse of the "Werewolf" from his bloodline.. he has banish back again by the combined effort of the High Evolutionary, the Knights of Wundagore and the spirit of Magnus.. but before he was banished back, he 'blessed' the newborn Wanda Maximoff with a fraction of his power that would let the her control Chaos Magic and alter reality itself beyond recognition..  

the Darkhold is the means of summoning him back and also the means of banishing him.. the last time he appeared, Mordred exorcised Chthon's essence from Quicksilver with the aid of the Darkhold.. Chthon is not imprisoned in the Darkhold, but rather it is the means of his eventual return..   

this was the description to Chthon when he wrote the Darkhold..

A long time ago, when the world was so new nothing had a name, something woke up. It learned all about what was and what would be... but most of all it learned what couldn't be, what shouldn't be. And it gave those things names, names it wrote on indestructible pages, because a namer has mastery of the named..

^_^
#46 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer said:
" my list      10, satanissh 9.Blackheart 8.Mephisto  7.Surtar 6.Dormamu  5. Zom  4.set    3.chthon  2..cytorak  1.Shuma   sorry about spelling "
no nightmare??  i also like the inclusion of zom as he did a lot of destruction, though i dont know if he is as powerful as the others. 
@lord_oraculous016:   
cool.  perhaps, though, chthon is a fallen angel and the real devil and he just is more powerful.  after all, lucifer was an arc angel and their were only three of them (michael, gabriel, and lucifer--raphael has been suggested as an arch-angel but thats not for certain).  i heard that when lucifer rebelled he was the only arch angel to quit and he took roughly 1/3 of the angels.  now couldn't it be possible that marvel's "lucifer" is just a high-level demon claiming to be the real devil.  now chthon has been around a while, but it still fits in the timeline that he is the real devil.    
now i know mephisto had blackheart (was his mother human?) and marduk kurios (with a human) had hellstrom.  now are there any other sons or daughters of the seven demon lords.  did chthon have a son??  
and one more question, if you dont mind me asking.  how do the damned souls get sorted into the various hells?  and are the seven hells only for earth 616 or for multiple dimensions?
btw i think its cool that you know this much its very informative you should write on the character pages the magical ones are pretty incomplete
#47 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

thank you very much for your compliments.. its really my pleasure..  

perhaps, though, chthon is a fallen angel and the real devil and he just is more powerful.  after all, lucifer was an arc angel and their were only three of them (michael, gabriel, and lucifer--raphael has been suggested as an arch-angel but thats not for certain).  i heard that when lucifer rebelled he was the only arch angel to quit and he took roughly 1/3 of the angels.  now couldn't it be possible that marvel's "lucifer" is just a high-level demon claiming to be the real devil. 

actually Chthon was not an angel or a malevolent spirit.. he was created as and Elder God.. an ethereal being spawned from the embodiment of the power of creation known as the Demiurge.. his corruption is because of his cannibalistic act devouring his brothers with led him into degenerating into a demonic being.. he is more like a God going insane and turning himself into a demon.. that is why he is classified as a Class One Demon.. angels who were corrupted (being angels themselves were just creations of the Elder Goddess Oshtur such as Lucifer and his comrades Pazuzu, Kazann, Olivier and the Asura) as well as malevolent spirits that were spawned from the dark energies of the Elder Gods (such as Mephisto, Satannish, Thor and Marduk Kurios) which are considered as indirect spawns of the Elder Gods are known as Class Two Demons.. those demons who are off extra-dimensional origins (such as Shuma-Gorath and Chthon's spawns, the N'Garai) are known as Class Three Demons.. the N'Garai, being the spawns of an Elder God can also be considered as Class Two Demons, but since Chthon created them outside Earth dimension, they are more considered to be extra-dimensional and Class Three Demons.. Shuma-Gorath is a vastly powerful and ancient demon of unknown extra-dimensional origins and one of the ancient race known as The Great Old Ones.. his origins puts him in the same category as the N'Garai.. that is how Marvel generally categorize their demons.. 

Class One Demons who were once Gods themselves are generally more powerful that Class Two Demons who are their indirect spawns.. Class Three Demons varies in power,, some like Shuma-Gorath are comparable to the Elder Gods, and some like the N'Garai are same with some Class Two Demons.. so i think that answers your question.. Lucifer is just a high-level second class demon who poses as the real devil..    

now i know mephisto had blackheart (was his mother human?) and marduk kurios (with a human) had hellstrom.  now are there any other sons or daughters of the seven demon lords.  did chthon have a son??  

Chthon doesn't have a child who was pattern to himself.. he does however have a mortal human who was conceived because  of his unholy influence.. that person was Victoria  Montesi.. 

Victoria was the  only child of Monsignor Vittorio Montesi, the last male descendant of the Montesi Family.. the Montesi line was long ago designated by the Catholic Church and the then Pope, Eugene III.. the founder of the family was Paolo Montesi.. he was the curator of a special library inside the Vatican, known as St. Gabriel's Library.. after the execution of the mad monk named Aelfric, Paolo Montesi obtained some of the scrolls of the Darkhold.. upon reading them, he discovered a prophecy about the ultimate fall of the Catholic Church and the destruction of the world itself, later known as "The Malachy Prophecy"..  he shared this with Pope Eugene III.. even though Paolo Montesi was tinted with the darkness of the Darkhold, his strong faith prevented him from being totally corrupted by the Book of Sins.. since then, Paolo Montesi was the only priest to be allowed to marry so that he can continue his line.. the Montesi family became the guardians of the Darkhold, a tome of ancient black magic which has the potential to summon the Elder God Chthon..  

the last male descendant of the Montesi family known as Vittorio Montesi was devoted student who studied the "Malachy Prophecy" and determined to prevent the rise of Chthon.. but he soon found out about his sterility.. knowing how important it is to continue the Montesi line, Vittorio succumbed to the temptation of the Darkhold, and using the black magic of the Book of Sins, he fathered Victoria..  

later on, Victoria later learned that she was pregnant, impregnated by Chthon's demonic essence, using her as a pawn for him to be reborn and as a mockery to her family's mission.. Chthon's forces came for Victoria and she began to deliver the baby. However, by attempting to take the form of Victoria's baby Chthon left himself vulnerable.. Doctor Strange was able to stop the powerful Elder God, by drawing all the goodness and purity within Victoria who was originally created from his dark essence and thus preventing Chthon from being reborn to this world.. 

and one more question, if you dont mind me asking.  how do the damned souls get sorted into the various hells?  and are the seven hells only for earth 616 or for multiple dimensions?

the souls of the damned are brought to hell via bargaining to a certain hell lord.. most individuals who made deals with Mephisto gives him the right to claim their souls after they have passed away.. same can be said to those who made deals with other Hell Lords.. certain Death Gods such as Pluto, Seth and Hela can also lay claim to souls.. and all of them have a certain pack with Death herself who allows them to temporarily keep the souls for an undetermined span of time.. as for the hells, i thing they are only subjected to the 616 reality since most of the Hell Lords are not even universal scale beings..  

XP
#48 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016: thanks.  i was just wondering if an elder god meant an archangel since apparently they were a lot more powerful.
thanks for explaining this it was really informative :)
#49 Edited by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

i was just wondering if an elder god meant an archangel since apparently they were a lot more powerful.

hmmm.. i don't think so.. i think Marvel portrayed them as they are, Gods, primeval Gods.. they don't have any uncharacteristic which can related them to archangels of the Judeo-Christian religion.. there are only four Elder Gods left.. they are: 

• Gaea - The Mother Earth and Goddess of the Earth, she is the spirit of life and renewal and Mother Goddess to all Godly Pantheon of Earth.. she is associated with the element Earth, all of the planet's creatures, and the Human Race.. 
  • Set - The Great Destroyer and the Serpent God.. he is the first murderer in history who possesses unquenchable hunger.. he is associated with the element Water as well as all the monsters, lizards, dragons and father of the Serpent Men.. 
  • Chthon - He who holds the Darkness and Demon among Demons.. he is considered to be the primeval devil before the Judeo-Christian beliefs.. cruel, twisted and the primal evil, he is associated with the element Fire, and creator of all the creatures of the dark such as demons, witches, werewolves, zombies and vampires.. 
  • Oshtur - Bright Lady of the Dawn, Goddess of the Heavens and the Spirit of Light.. she fights to protect the universe from the influence of evil as one of the eternal Vishanti.. she is associated with the element Air, and the concept of "Virgin Birth".. she is the creator of benevolent celestial beings such as angels and faeries.. 

the scan above is a brief representation of the Elder Gods.. in Marvel Tarot, they are considered as the Four Aces, the founding beings that weaved the very fabric of magic itself.. they are represented with the four elements, animals and a cornerstone of creation.. Earth, the Cow and the Rose (Gaea), Water, the Serpent and the Crown (Set), Fire, the Wolf and the Mirror (Chthon) and Air, the Dove and the Sword (Oshtur)..

thanks for explaining this it was really informative :)  

you are very much welcome.. it's my pleasure.. and thank you.. 

=)
#50 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016:  cool i never knew this
i looked at sets wikipage and i was surprised to see that while chthon has had many achievemants and story arcs, set has been relatively quiet in recent time.  
and if shuma gorath is not an elder god, what is he??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.