Follow

Marvel Zombies

Story arc »

When a zombie plague came from above, the Avengers arrived on the scene to end the crisis. With their infection the people of Earth-2149 stood no chance, as the entire world became engulfed by the plague.

Zombie-Superman, not Zombie-Sentry?

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DEADPOOL

I heard rumors that it was originally intended for a zombified Superman to be the one to punch through the dimensions and spread the virus in the zombie-verse, not a zombified Sentry.

And if you look at "Sentry" in the UFF flashback, he appears as a Sentry-colored Superman... or Sentry with Superman's hair.

But then when you look at Sentry in the MZ vs. AoD mini, he looks different from what he looked like in the UFF flashback... however, there is a patch of cloth missing on his chest that's roughly the same size and shape as Superman's "S."

Post Edited:2007-05-22 16:35:14

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Huh, I didn't catch that one. It seems probable.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By fesak  Moderator

It's true, i saw the original page somewhere on the net. Maybe it was Millar's homepage?

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Octagon Enigma

So, was Zombie's originally going to be a massive Marvel/DC "What If?"

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEADPOOL

fesak says:

"It's true, i saw the original page somewhere on the net. Maybe it was Millar's homepage?"

Really? They should had kept him red & blue, that would had been so cool!

octagon_enigma says:

"So, was Zombie's originally going to be a massive Marvel/DC "What If?""

I don't believe so, I think it was just something for the fans. He was never specified as being Superman, only being from another dimension and ungodly strong. They also never showed anything that would get Marvel in trouble for copyright (the "S" for example). But, I guess they decided not to do it.

Post Edited:2007-05-22 16:49:56

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Ah, that makes sense.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Prodigal Son

Oh sure, blame the whole epidemic on Supes.

Heh.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Well, why not? He's pretty good at taking the blame for things.

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEADPOOL

Everyone knows Superman is a dick, lol.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Octagon Enigma

He thinks he's SO strong... I could take him... lol

ShufflerHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By ShufflerHS

Here's a link to an original pic....I think or maybe a REALLY good shop.

Post Edited:2007-05-22 20:53:51

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEADPOOL

I don't see the link?

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#13  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Looks like photoshop.
    Post Edited:2007-05-22 20:55:10

ShufflerHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShufflerHS

Yea I dunno why the link doesn't appear but that's it. (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deathknellforaworldorigzd0.jpg)

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DEADPOOL

That's definitely a photoshop, but it's a pretty good one! Thanks for showing us.

But in that first pic I posted... could someone change the colors of "Sentry's" costume to blue and red?

::EDIT:: Wait, wait... Marvel Zombies should be renamed "What If? Superman ate the Marvel Universe!" Haha!
    Post Edited:2007-05-22 21:15:41

darth grievous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By darth grievous

you know what would be cool a marvel vs dc movie

Spiderkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spiderkid

Hey I made one of the first pic but I don't know how to put pictures on!!

Spiderkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spiderkid

[img] [img/]

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DEADPOOL

Nice edit.

I really think that was supposed to be Superman.

Spiderkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spiderkid

Thanks. And yeah I'm pretty sure it was gonna be ol Superman but DC probably didn't allow it. It could have been really cool! Oh and I also found this: for a better pic just search DC Zombies on google!
    Post Edited:2008-03-05 10:59:49

Avatar image for nurse_prometheus
    Nurse Prometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nurse Prometheus

Loving the apple in the mouth action there.

Superman spreading the virus actually would make sense. He would know enough to take down those who could challenge him (the heroes and villains), be hungry enough to want to take them down, and has the ability to get to and fro at a relatively quick pace so...once he punched through, it would take him all of what? 30 minutes? An hour? Sentry aside, he seems like the better candidate.

Not to mention that would be pretty f*ing funny in the ironic Superman-is-the-best-ra-ra way. (I'm not a big fan of his.)

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Sentry's costume is better and a better character. IMO.

BDog23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By BDog23

Woah that would have been awesome guys

Spiderkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spiderkid

Yeah it would have been but we all know it won't happen. :-(

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry about bumping such an old thread. But I'm hoping anyone can tell me if there is legit proof that the writer intended this. Yes from these pages it seems that way. But is there a quote? A screenshot of something he might have said that confirms what everyone is saying? The rest of these paragraphs I'm about to post is mostly me quoting people I've heard talk about it online.

"If not then I'll just go over the pages themselves that seem to give people good reason to think so.
    When the Marvel Zombies first appeared in Ultimate Fantastic Four issue 21, we learned that the infection started with a superhero from another universe, who was so hungry he actually punched a hole in the fabric of reality to find more prey. Yeah, harsh. Anyway, that scene was eventually shown in Marvel Zombies vs. The Army of Darkness number 2, where we see the Sentry defeating the Avengers. But the Sentry shown there doesn't really look like our Sentry - there are a handful of small differences."

"It was nothing major, nothing you'd immediately notice unless you were looking. Pretty straightforward, right? Sentry's killed the Avengers, and they're starting to come back to life. But what's not right about the scene? Well, the most obvious difference is that Sentry has short hair. He has been portrayed like that in the comics before, but only rarely - he's usually got hair down to his shoulders. But that's just a minor thing that could be chalked up to the whole "alternate dimension" thing. There are some artistic quirks, like the missing blue patch on his throat and the fact that it looks like he's wearing separate trunks, but again, those are explainable. A coloring mistake and overzealous inking."

"At face value, everything adds up. But if you stat thinking about it, things get hinky. Try to imagine the art in black and white - ignore all the colors. Look at the shape of that guy, floating there with his cape blowing behind him. That guy, with the short hair and the very specific rip in his costume. Mr. Fantastic didn't say it was the Sentry who started all this, he said it was a superhero from another dimension. One with powers apparently similar to the Sentry's, a hero Reed was familiar with. Think about that for a minute. A cross-dimensional version of the Sentry? Any names spring to mind? Take a look at that image again, and you can see how a few last-minute art tweaks and the work of the colorist could switch things around under editorial mandate. It's cool to play around, but maybe this was just too close for comfort, necesitating the switch?"

"And that's the second take on the scene! In UFF no.22, it's even more blatant! At that point, it was only the coloring that said it was supposed to be the Sentry. Shift the blue and yellow down the spectrum a little bit, and you can totally tell what the real story was supposed to be, before editorial interference. Sentry, the person who infected the Avengers and thus kicked this whole thing off, was originally supposed to be a zombified version of Superman which is evidenced by the short dark hair he had in the issue of Ultimate Fantastic Four that first showed him off and the outfit in those shots seemed more Superman-like. This is even further shown in Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness where the Sentry's full body shot has his costume torn open in the chest area in the shape of the familiar S-shield so you take that into account along with the fact that Sentry is seemingly one of Marvel's MANY Superman expies and there you go, the explanation is clear."

"It's pretty clear that the "Sentry" that infected the zombieverse was supposed to be Superman, and was only given a Palette Swap to avoid action by the Distinguished Competition (the hole in his costume the same size and shape as the S-shield is a dead giveaway). this kind of explains things since Zombie Sentry seemed to have darker hair than standard MU Sentry. There's really not anything that would indicate this is the Sentry. Not only that, the hair is darkened by ink (Sentry's hair is blond--compare with Ms. Marvel on that page, who's also blond), and the character even has Superman's spit-curl."

"In the Return, the triumphant zombie superheroes form a Captain Ersatz-version of the Justice League with Zombie Sentry as Superman, Zombie Quasar as Green Lantern, Zombie Namor as Aquaman, Zombie Quicksilver as the Flash, Super-Skrull as the Martian Manhunter, Zombie Moon Knight as Batman, Zombie Thundra as Wonder Woman and Zombie Giant-Man as the Atom. This is actually a relatively subtle joke about Mark Millar's original proposal for the "Crossover" plot, which would've had a barely-concealed Superman as the cause of the outbreak. This got shot down by his editor, but small references to it persist throughout the series, such as Ash shooting the Sentry and leaving a Superman-logo-shaped hole in his costume."

"In Marvel Zombies Supreme: Jill Harper and her Guardsmen team are sent to investigate a distress call at an isolated Project: Pegasus facility. What they find out is that a renegade biologist has A) cloned the Squadron Supreme and B) accidentally turned the clones into zombies. Notable for not having any overt connections to the "Hunger Gospel" virus, for being the series that brought back the Jack of Hearts, and for the second issue, which is pretty much designed to irritate the hell out of Superman fans. The Squadron Supreme are, of course, all take-offs on members of the Justice League. That said, issue #2 of Marvel Zombies Supreme is pretty much an extended slam on Superman's origin, with zombie Hyperion eating his way through small-town Kansas."

"Even the cover is a horror version from action comics 1I think it's funny that the cut on Sentry's shirt is in the shape of a diamond, such as the one commonly found on a certain Kryptonian's chest. It was noted from the get go that it was originally intended that a version of Superman was supposed to have been responsible for bringing the zombie virus (or whatever) there. It was changed to Sentry at the last minute to avoid any potential problems with DC. The most glaring "hint" is that Superman/Sentry virually disappears from the story after his initially showing up. Marvel couldn't have Superman running around in their story after all. I think it was Kirkman himself who talked about all this back in the day."

"I read about that, and yeah, it being Sentry is the canon explanation. But in the original story, you never see any distinguishing features besides the cape, the spitcurl and the inverted colors, and he's never named--the symbolic significance of the silent understanding that this thing already destroyed some alternate DCU, and now has come to consume Marvel through the corrupted original superhero, is much more powerful than "Sentry, except crazier than usual, did it". The question's whether or not someone ever outright said that was the intention, and if it was sidelined (apparently in the Ash Vs. Marvel Zombies miniseries, Ash blew a diamond-shaped hole in the chest of the Sentry's uniform before we could see what might have been on there--like, say, a logo of some sort--to drive the point home even further)."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.