Marvel Zombies......wha-huh!?

#1 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Marvel: Zombies about a day ago....and it was a very odd experience overall. I'm gonna switch into review mode for a minute here, so sorry if I sound like my opinion is the law or something (because it most surely isn't).

I approached Marvel: Zombies with a odd with of great expectation and dread. On one hand, I had heard a large amount of praise for it, but I was wary of an opposite dimension full of Zombies (how I usually approach horror movies in this day and age). When I started, a few things hit me, very quickly.....one being, this book is seriously messed up. Not neccessarily a bad thing. But, one of the other things that hit me, this comic is probably the only that has ever made me....well, sympathize (sp?) for the so called villains. It was a very smart choice indeed, to have most of the story take place following the Zombies. It made me feel that instead of stupid monsters, they were simply people in a very, very unfortunate situation. Throughout the entire comic, I was torn between what exactly it was supposed to be. Was it a horror/action mixture with some grimness chucked in? Or moreso a horror/action shocker-comedy? I was constantly switching between these two mixed genres (it really hit me with the comical moments with Magneto fighting the Zombies. Then it switched to the former genre when he was torn apart). The writing was, for the most part, spot on (the heros-no, Zombies that survived where what I woulda chosen also. Well, mostly). However.....Surfer losing to the Zombies? Mmmm....nah. Neither with Galactus. Meh, easy to overlook. Despite how really freaking weird this book was, it was much more entertaining than most horror movies made today. It was an entertaining read......just not the kind I'd readily go back to (except, maybe, for Army Of Darkness/Marvel: Zombies). I'd give it a healthy 7/10.

Anyway....that's my opinion on M:Z. Kinda found it a little overrated from some of the talk on it, but it was still very entertaining. Please, post and give me your comments and thoughts.

#2 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

yea the silver surfer thing was bull but not the galactus cause they used their cosmic power ti fuel a machine and attack him hard

#3 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

chameleone says:

"I like how the zombies, weren't mindless, but they talked and everything"

That was definitely the best part of the story.

#4 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how the zombies, weren't mindless, but they talked and everything

#5 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"I read Marvel: Zombies about a day ago....and it was a very odd experience overall. I'm gonna switch into review mode for a minute here, so sorry if I sound like my opinion is the law or something (because it most surely isn't). I approached Marvel: Zombies with a odd with of great expectation and dread. On one hand, I had heard a large amount of praise for it, but I was wary of an opposite dimension full of Zombies (how I usually approach horror movies in this day and age). When I started, a few things hit me, very quickly.....one being, this book is seriously messed up. Not neccessarily a bad thing. But, one of the other things that hit me, this comic is probably the only that has ever made me....well, *sympathize* (sp?) for the so called villains. It was a very smart choice indeed, to have most of the story take place following the Zombies. It made me feel that instead of stupid monsters, they were simply people in a very, very unfortunate situation. Throughout the entire comic, I was torn between what exactly it was supposed to be. Was it a horror/action mixture with some grimness chucked in? Or moreso a horror/action shocker-comedy? I was constantly switching between these two mixed genres (it really hit me with the comical moments with Magneto fighting the Zombies. Then it switched to the former genre when he was torn apart). The writing was, for the most part, spot on (the heros-no, Zombies that survived where what I woulda chosen also. Well, mostly). However.....Surfer losing to the Zombies? Mmmm....nah. Neither with Galactus. Meh, easy to overlook. Despite how really freaking weird this book was, it was much more entertaining than most horror movies made today. It was an entertaining read......just not the kind I'd readily go back to (except, maybe, for Army Of Darkness/Marvel: Zombies). I'd give it a healthy 7/10. Anyway....that's my opinion on M:Z. Kinda found it a little overrated from some of the talk on it, but it was still very entertaining. Please, post and give me your comments and thoughts."

I think it was a great book and was terribly entertaing. I loved every page. I think it deserves better than 7/10. I would've given it an 8, 8.5. The quirky humor, new and interesting writing was great and I think Surfer and Galactus being killed by the Zombies made it more interesting because of the oddness of the events. It was overall a good story in my opinion and I give it an 8, maybe 8.5

#6 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Sparda says:
"I read Marvel: Zombies about a day ago....and it was a very odd experience overall. I'm gonna switch into review mode for a minute here, so sorry if I sound like my opinion is the law or something (because it most surely isn't). I approached Marvel: Zombies with a odd with of great expectation and dread. On one hand, I had heard a large amount of praise for it, but I was wary of an opposite dimension full of Zombies (how I usually approach horror movies in this day and age). When I started, a few things hit me, very quickly.....one being, this book is seriously messed up. Not neccessarily a bad thing. But, one of the other things that hit me, this comic is probably the only that has ever made me....well, *sympathize* (sp?) for the so called villains. It was a very smart choice indeed, to have most of the story take place following the Zombies. It made me feel that instead of stupid monsters, they were simply people in a very, very unfortunate situation. Throughout the entire comic, I was torn between what exactly it was supposed to be. Was it a horror/action mixture with some grimness chucked in? Or moreso a horror/action shocker-comedy? I was constantly switching between these two mixed genres (it really hit me with the comical moments with Magneto fighting the Zombies. Then it switched to the former genre when he was torn apart). The writing was, for the most part, spot on (the heros-no, Zombies that survived where what I woulda chosen also. Well, mostly). However.....Surfer losing to the Zombies? Mmmm....nah. Neither with Galactus. Meh, easy to overlook. Despite how really freaking weird this book was, it was much more entertaining than most horror movies made today. It was an entertaining read......just not the kind I'd readily go back to (except, maybe, for Army Of Darkness/Marvel: Zombies). I'd give it a healthy 7/10. Anyway....that's my opinion on M:Z. Kinda found it a little overrated from some of the talk on it, but it was still very entertaining. Please, post and give me your comments and thoughts."
I think it was a great book and was terribly entertaing. I loved every page. I think it deserves better than 7/10. I would've given it an 8, 8.5. The quirky humor, new and interesting writing was great and I think Surfer and Galactus being killed by the Zombies made it more interesting because of the oddness of the events. It was overall a good story in *my* opinion and I give it an 8, maybe 8.5"

Meh, we aren't too far off, lol.

#7 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
"Sparda says:
I think it was a great book and was terribly entertaing. I loved every page. I think it deserves better than 7/10. I would've given it an 8, 8.5. The quirky humor, new and interesting writing was great and I think Surfer and Galactus being killed by the Zombies made it more interesting because of the oddness of the events. It was overall a good story in *my* opinion and I give it an 8, maybe 8.5"
Meh, we aren't too far off, lol."

lol. True. After I read the first one, I became a big fan of the series. I even picked up MZvsAoD. It was really funny. Interesting.

#8 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Sparda says:

I think it was a great book and was terribly entertaing. I loved every page. I think it deserves better than 7/10. I would've given it an 8, 8.5. The quirky humor, new and interesting writing was great and I think Surfer and Galactus being killed by the Zombies made it more interesting because of the oddness of the events. It was overall a good story in my opinion and I give it an 8, maybe 8.5"

I agree. But I still think their choice of who gets zombified was pure bullshit. How does one like Sentry get affected by something like this. And how in god's name did Hulk, Juggernaut, Thor, and Deadpool get affected? Two of the four are immortal. One is a god. One shrugs off AIDS like if it were a dust particle. One is totally invulnerable. And two of the four have very good healing factors if not outright Regenerative qualities rather than mere fast healing.

#9 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

i just didn't get how spiderman was able to hold off the virus while guys like wolverine and deadpool turned into zombies in 5 seconds

#10 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ion says:

"i just didn't get how spiderman was able to hold off the virus while guys like wolverine and deadpool turned into zombies in 5 seconds"

That was pretty messed up. One of the funniest parts in the entire comic, IMO, was when Spidey was playing Go-Fish with Cage. Funny conversation, IMO.

#11 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

i didn't read the entire series but i saw preveiws and that was so messed up i mean you know spiderman is my #1 hero but still that was messed up

#12 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ion says:

"i didn't read the entire series but i saw preveiws and that was so messed up i mean you know spiderman is my #1 hero but still that was messed up"

It was. I didn't think Hulk should've been affected at all. Heck, I think that Mags almost should've beat the Zombies.

#13 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"The Ion says:
"i didn't read the entire series but i saw preveiws and that was so messed up i mean you know spiderman is my #1 hero but still that was messed up"
It was. I didn't think Hulk should've been affected at all. Heck, I think that Mags almost should've beat the Zombies."

yea why was magento so weak when he fought them it was like he was 90 years old cause all he really did was taking alot of deep breaths. Look the comic was a good seires but was really mess up so i'm torn between from liking it and hating

#14 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ion says:

"Sparda says:
"The Ion says:
It was. I didn't think Hulk should've been affected at all. Heck, I think that Mags almost should've beat the Zombies."
yea why was magento so weak when he fought them it was like he was 90 years old cause all he really did was taking alot of deep breaths. Look the comic was a good seires but was really mess up so i'm torn between from liking it and hating"

It was the ultimate series. Everything is weak when it comes to the ultimates. The virus does certain things to people's bodies. It gets rid of healing factors and such.

#15 Posted by Vrakmul (23398 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"The Ion says:

And Juggernaut and Thor shouldn't have been affected either. Thor's a f*ing god don't go telling me that all of a sudden some sorcerror can create some spell that can defeat gods. And Juggernaut's invulnerable and he has the gem/crystal to power him why should afforementioned sorcerror be powerful enough to easily overcome superpowerful mystic artifacts?

#16 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

But, throwing writing out of the door, it was still great.

@EC: It was an alternate dimension, featured in the Ultimate series. It seemed to be the same as 616 universe, going off costumes and such.

#17 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"The Ion says:
"Sparda says:
"The Ion says:
yea why was magento so weak when he fought them it was like he was 90 years old cause all he really did was taking alot of deep breaths. Look the comic was a good seires but was really mess up so i'm torn between from liking it and hating"
It was the ultimate series. Everything is weak when it comes to the ultimates. The virus does certain things to people's bodies. It gets rid of healing factors and such."
okay maybe but at least don't make them turn into zombies in 5 seconds. By not making them turn into a zombie so quickly it shows their healing factor is fighting unless their healing factor are just saying "ahh screw this dude why should we keep him alive. I'm out of here."
Post Edited:2007-10-12 22:22:47
Post Edited:2007-10-12 22:23:20
#18 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ion says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
"The Ion says:
"Sparda says:
"The Ion says:
It was the ultimate series. Everything is weak when it comes to the ultimates. The virus does certain things to people's bodies. It gets rid of healing factors and such."
okay maybe but at least don't make them turn into zombies in 5 seconds it shows their healing factor is fighting unless their healing factor are just saying "ahh screw this dude why should we keep him alive. I'm out of here." "

Healing factor has nothing to do with a virus. The virus mutated them. Peter fighting it off ok, I'll admit, far fetched, but still, it worked for the story.

#19 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ion says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
"The Ion says:
"Sparda says:
"The Ion says:
okay maybe but at least don't make them turn into zombies in 5 seconds it shows their healing factor is fighting unless their healing factor are just saying "ahh screw this dude why should we keep him alive. I'm out of here." "

Healing factor has nothing to do with a virus. The virus mutated them. Peter fighting it off ok, I'll admit, far fetched, but still, it worked for the story.

#20 Posted by Octagon Enigma (2121 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my problem with this story. Wolverine's adamantium claws were stonewalled by Surfer's metallic flesh. Yet, somehow, Hulk's teeth severed Surfer's head. THERE is a continuity error. Hulk's teeth, no matter what universe, are not stronger than adamantium. There are so many more in this story that made it overall a bad experience for me. I didn't like it.

#21 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Octagon Enigma says:

"Here's my problem with this story. Wolverine's adamantium claws were stonewalled by Surfer's metallic flesh. Yet, somehow, Hulk's teeth severed Surfer's head. THERE is a continuity error. Hulk's teeth, no matter what universe, are not stronger than adamantium. There are so many more in this story that made it overall a bad experience for me. I didn't like it."

The metal claws broke out of his deteriorating skin.

#22 Posted by Mr. Ubiquitous (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I have a few issues of this simply because they were given to me...

perhaps the most daft series in the history of comics...and i'm a 30 yr Marvel ZOMBIE...;)

#23 Posted by Octagon Enigma (2121 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Octagon Enigma says:
"Here's my problem with this story. Wolverine's adamantium claws were stonewalled by Surfer's metallic flesh. Yet, somehow, Hulk's teeth severed Surfer's head. THERE is a continuity error. Hulk's teeth, no matter what universe, are not stronger than adamantium. There are so many more in this story that made it overall a bad experience for me. I didn't like it."
The metal claws broke out of his deteriorating skin."

But they didn't even scratch him, and the claws worked fine on everything else, past and future.

#24 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Alternate reality. Anything can happen

#25 Posted by Octagon Enigma (2121 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Alternate reality. Anything can happen"

Yech, that's exactly why I don't dabble in alternate realities.

#26 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Octagon Enigma says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
"Alternate reality. Anything can happen"
Yech, that's exactly why I don't dabble in alternate realities."

I like alternate realities. They rock. Earth X. 'Nuff said.

#27 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Octagon Enigma says:

alternate reality, they may not even have adamantium? i loved the series, 8.5 out of 10 and 9.5 for originality and quirkyness. but you have to read dead days and the vs army of darkness mini series to put some of the peices into place

#28 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
"Octagon Enigma says:
alternate reality, they may not even have adamantium? i loved the series, 8.5 out of 10 and 9.5 for originality and quirkyness. but you have to read dead days and the vs army of darkness mini series to put some of the peices into place "

I read Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness

#29 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Rotten gun says:
"Eternal Chaos says:
"Octagon Enigma says:
alternate reality, they may not even have adamantium? i loved the series, 8.5 out of 10 and 9.5 for originality and quirkyness. but you have to read dead days and the vs army of darkness mini series to put some of the peices into place "
I read Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness "

i mean in general for everyone... not singling you out :P

#30 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Octagon Enigma says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
"Octagon Enigma says:
But they didn't even scratch him, and the claws worked fine on everything else, past and future."

wolverine shouldn't be strong enough to cut through surfer, no matter how unbreakable and sharp his claws are.

#31 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"Octagon Enigma says:
"Eternal Chaos says:
"Octagon Enigma says:
But they didn't even scratch him, and the claws worked fine on everything else, past and future."
wolverine shouldn't be strong enough to cut through surfer, no matter how unbreakable and sharp his claws are."

ALTERNATE. UNIVERSE. AH!!!!!! lol. Don't ask. I'm bored, and tempted to kill my RPG character off for a while.

#32 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

You know they rock.

#33 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

crazy alternate universes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.