Follow

Marvel NOW!

Concept » Marvel NOW! appears in 413 issues.

Marvel NOW! is a Marvel relaunch that began in October 2012. It brought some major changes to the Marvel Universe and launched many new ongoing series from some of the biggest names in the business.

So what exactly is marvel now

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Can someone please help me try and figure out what Marvel Now is. Is it like a reboot a la New 52? I'm new to the comic world and Have bought a few New 52 issues. I prefer DC characters over Marvel characters but for some reason I've always found marvel villains to be pretty cool. So as a new comic collector/reader where should I start my collection? Also if I start a certain series I want to buy every single issue of it as well. Again will Marvel Now be a good starting point? or is this not a reboot?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@al_capown:

Marvel NOW is a great starting point. It's not as much of a reboot like the New 52 as marvel still keeps everything as continuity. New 52 is better for starting fresh as there isn't anything you need to know beforehand. Marvel NOW requires AvX knowledge. All the team books made little to no sense to me when I started as I knew nothing about what happened before. But Marvels solo titles are totally worth a look plus they're mostly less than about 8 or 9 issues in (with some exceptions). So it's not bad jumping on point.

Any Marvel characters you have in mind? Maybe I could help further.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Alright...you now how Marvel has those .1 issues that are supposed to be a really good jumping on point for new readers? This is like that, only basically the entire universe. AvX brought the Marvel universe to one galvanizing point and Marvel NOW! is the jumping on point after that. Basic knowledge of AvX helps to understand some of what's going on (and why), but other than that, it's basically a blanket jumping on point for new readers.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al_capOWN

I enjoy the background stories of some villains more than a I do the superheroes.

Thanos and redskull grab my attention mandarin just to name a few. So I guess I should buy ironman and cpt america?

Is Marvel NOW popular amongst collectors? About how many series are included in the Marvel NOW issues and which ones are the best one/popular ones?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Thanos has his own mini-series just now if it's villains you like. Red Skull was the villain in the first 4-5 issues of Uncanny Avengers.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, Ill look into that. Is Thanos mini series part of Marvel NOW?

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks, Ill look into that. Is Thanos mini series part of Marvel NOW?

Yeah, pretty much all new series' starting to come out are part of Marvel NOW! If it has the logo on it, it's part of NOW! I highly recommend Hawkeye, even though it's not part of it, however. There are very many now NOW! titles that are great, and shouldn't be ignored. Daredevil is another, and I'm sure there are more.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

It's not a reboot. The continuity is unchanged.

It's just a cool way to start off a lot of long-lasting runs on different comics.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

It's not true that with New 52 you don't have to know anything beforehand. Things like Batman's death, Blackest Night happened etc.

Marvel Now is just most of the titles getting new volumes and most characters getting new suits.

divad4686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos has his own mini-series just now if it's villains you like. Red Skull was the villain in the first 4-5 issues of Uncanny Avengers.

But is thanos new series based in Earth - 616?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're talking about Thanos Rising, if I'm correct. Try Guardians of the Galaxy. It's great so far and Thanos is bound to show his big purple butt soon. Marvel NOW! Isn't even close to a reboot. The closest would be All New X-men since it's about the original X-men.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Reboots are'nt always the best way to start a series

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

It's Marvel then....but now.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#14 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

It is totally a reboot where the cosmic books are concerned

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

But is thanos new series based in Earth - 616?

I don't know, but it probably is. I hear it's about his origins, and that it would be a good thing to read to prepare you for Infinity. Infinity is 616, so I imagine this is too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.