NYCC 2012: Marvel NOW! Cup o' Joe panel recap

• 68 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (39105 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's Cup o' Joe is the publisher's biggest panel every NYCC and this one was a huge hit with cosmic and Frank Castle fans in the room.  Also, there was a totally unexpected surprise surrounding the upcoming TV show.

It shouldn't shock anyone (seeing as there's a huge movie coming in 2013) but the title GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is coming back.  It'll hit shelves February and is written by Brian Michael Bendis and illustrated by Steve McNiven.  Nice to see Drax is no longer running around in a generic pair of pants!

Richard Rider is still dead (for now... after all, it's comics) but that won't stop Marvel from moving forward with Nova.  Sam Alexander -- a name familiar to fans of the animated show Ultimate Spider-Man -- is the lead and it'll be written by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness will illustrate.

Frank Castle fans are mourning Greg Rucka departing Punisher's latest title, but there's a reason to hold onto hope!  PUNISHER: NIGHTMARE will be a miniseries written by Scott M. Gimple (The Walking Dead TV show) and artist Mark Texeira.  Sadly, it won't be an ongoing.  Instead, there will be five issues published weekly in January.  Still, the limited material we saw looks quite awesome.     

Last but certainly not least, a beloved Marvel Studios character will live on in the small screen.  That's right, Agent Phil Coulson will star in the upcoming S.H.I.E.L.D. tv series by Joss Whedon.  How?  I have no idea... life model decoy?  Thoughts? 
Staff
#1 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

I do NOT like the way punisher is draw, and another mini series!? no thank you..will not be getting. I will be getting War Zone though since it serves as a conclusion to ruckas epic tale.

And Nova Might be good..although i don't like Loeb too much he has written SOME good stuff. when he is good, he is good. so ill give it a try but WHY do most all these titles have to be $3.99!? and some are comming out twice a month! Good thing im more of a DC guy, but it is only a matter of time before DC starts putting an extra $1 to all their titles as well. :/

#2 Posted by iancoderre3 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the show will take place before the events of The Avengers movie, hack, maybe even before IRONMAN 1. Thats the only way I see him being in that show. They will probaly do something different in Avengers 2 to bring Coulson back.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

IS that Iron Man in GotG? DO NOT LIKE 

Also that fake Nova can GTFO

#4 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Great. Yet another comic book I really want to get but won't be able to afford -_-

#5 Posted by SmashBrawler (5599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Also that fake Nova can GTFO

Quoted for truth. I'm not supporting that title.

#6 Posted by Kovak (748 posts) - - Show Bio

That's totally Kratos in GotG

#7 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I would probably pick up Nova, but...

• It's not Richard Rider
  • It's being written by Loeb
#8 Posted by gui22 (383 posts) - - Show Bio

@Meteorite said:

• It's not Richard Rider

This. Plus the Marvel Heroes MMO will have Sam Alexander, not Richard Rider. It's like Marvel went raging against him for some reason and replaced him with a kid without a clear origin and no story importance whatsoever in Avengers vs. X-Men.

#9 Posted by CircularLogic (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, the art for Nova looks pretty sweet (really plays to McGuiness' strengths) but did they really need to put Loeb on it?

Please take him off the title early and replace him with someone who doesn't try and destroy whole franchises at every turn?

#10 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

Wheres Moondragon

#11 Posted by Marv_El (9 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

@gui22 said:

@Meteorite said:

• It's not Richard Rider

This. Plus the Marvel Heroes MMO will have Sam Alexander, not Richard Rider. It's like Marvel went raging against him for some reason and replaced him with a kid without a clear origin and no story importance whatsoever in Avengers vs. X-Men.

"How dare DnA write engaging stories and rise one of our little-used characters to entirely new heights by drawing on his previous backstory whilst simultaneously creating new and engaging ideas for his character?! We must kill him off and replace him! Then the fans will love us even more!"

#13 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the story about Agent Phil Coulson takes place before the movie Avengers? Just guessing.

#14 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one love the fact Drax wears regular pants, it's something that stayed with the character since Keith Giffen re-invigorated him back in 2004. But if GotG will be 3.99 I won't be buying it. What I don't like is that his knives wear way to goddamn big, it's ridiculous.

#15 Posted by Don_Jay (61 posts) - - Show Bio

First: they better figure out a good explanation why and how Star Lord is back from the cancerverse and how is Rider still dead.

Second: screw the whole "let's integrate the movie/cartoon-verse characters into continuity", Rider is Nova, hell, he's Nova Prime, screw the new guy.

Third: There was a time when Loeb was good, but it's long gone. He's the reason I'm cautious with the proposed marvel tv shows (except for the S.H.I.E.L.D. show, because you know, in Whedon we trust). I mean look at what he's done in his ron on the Red Hulk title when it began, or the last few issues of Wolverine or should I say (gulp...sorry I just puked in my mouth) Ultimatum? Just bring back DnA and let them work their magic in the space.

Sorry for the angry rant, but this kinda pissed me off. Although to say something more or less positive: I don't give a sh*t about the Punisher and I like McGuines' art, I can't wait for the S.H.I.E.L.D. show and I got nothing against Bendis and McNiven on GoG.

#16 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3550 posts) - - Show Bio

The SHIELD series will probably be a prequel. A LMD would open be such a cop out.

#17 Posted by CitizenJP (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Stoked for new Nova! I miss reading that series.

#18 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

COULSON!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^___________^

#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (39105 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
The SHIELD series will probably be a prequel. A LMD would open be such a cop out.
Certainly.  I was just joking around with the LMD remark.
Staff
#20 Edited by bunkerbuster05 (305 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Richard Rider :{

Stoked for Guardians though! I'm re-reading The Thanos Imperative now, still as awesome as ever.

Can Marvel just give DnA millions so they can write ALL the cosmic stuff? They can't do any wrong, in my opinion.

#21 Posted by Night Thrasher (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a HUGE fan of Cosmic Marvel....but not so much in Bendis or Loeb. It's like Marvel is intentionally trying to piss off its fanbase. :-(

#22 Posted by Mokey (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis on a team book? Loeb on anything?

RIP Cosmic Marvel.

#23 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward Nova, really interested

@War Killer said:

COULSON!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^___________^

Yay

#24 Posted by TheHeat (451 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one that thinks that Marvel NOW could be the death for Marvel Comics?

#25 Posted by neiliusprime (254 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope Starlord keeps his helmet because at the panel the writer said Peter Quill won't wear it all the time because he wants to show him having facial expressions. Thats stupid because the faceplate on his helmet is retractable so you could actually see his face when needed.

#26 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio

Once they drop the cancer kid and bring Rider back as Nova.. I might go back to buying Marvel comics. And that Guardian's line up.. I don't like it and I don't like the look.

Also why is an LMD of Coulson a cop out? Its established through Marvel that they are used by SHIELD.

#27 Posted by deadpool25mm (588 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by The Mast (783 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we confirm who the armoured guy is in Guardians?

#29 Posted by Sifighter (93 posts) - - Show Bio

so, Iron man is on a team with rocket raccoon and Groot, Kind of weird but if they can make it work then I'm all for it. As for the New Nova, could be intresting if they go the whole root of somekid having fun with superpowers As for Punisher, not a huge fan of him so won't read it

#30 Posted by sourcebreaker (39 posts) - - Show Bio

is armored guy in the guardians cover new?

#31 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Meteorite said:

• It's not Richard Rider

My thoughts exactly. Screw you, Mr. Loeb.

#32 Posted by Bluefox170 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

Another Punisher mini series... I'm not amused Marvel. Dick move not giving Frank an on going and even more so removing Rucka from his masterpiece.

#33 Posted by TheGodofThunder (597 posts) - - Show Bio

gamora and starlord had two of the greatest costumes ever. Don't know why I'm surprised marvel did away with them.

#34 Posted by SmashBrawler (5599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Meteorite said:

• It's not Richard Rider

Yup, more than enough reasons to avoid this title.

@gui22 said:

@Meteorite said:

• It's not Richard Rider

What? Are they friggin' serious? Oh, come on! If I can't see Rider in my comics at least let him be in something!

#35 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

starlord + iron man

#36 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

If they used Rider's brother, i'd be a little more understanding, still hate him and miss Richard, but i'd be a little less hostile towards him...but seriously, go away fake Nova!

#37 Posted by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Coulson never died - everyone just assumed he had.

We know Fury concocted the story about his Cap trading cards as a spring board to rally the troops.

That kind of trauma - anyone would have passed out from blood loss - even the toughest of heroes.

So rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated - by us and Fury.

#38 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

Who are all the guys on the Guardians cover? Looks like this will be an interesting title with funny characters... my favorite would be the little raccoon with the giant rocket launcher and the branchy guy with the leds.

#39 Posted by Weapon-Alpha (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Ill get Guardians to see what its like i'm willing to try it, Nova not so much lol

Would that "Ironman" guy be Iron lad? would they put him with the guardians?

#40 Edited by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Do Starlord and Gamora's new costumes remind anyone else of MASS EFFECT?

Their designs definitely have more of a genuine sci-fi look than even the concept art for the movie.

#41 Posted by NuclearLife (53 posts) - - Show Bio

No Rider, No sale. Also what is up with all the Marvel NOW! outfits being all cyber tech. What was wrong with a nice pair of pants? Worked for Drax and Hulk for decades. And how does Groot, a tree/alien gain from cyber implants?

#42 Posted by obscurefan (274 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually glad that Bendis is working on Guardians of the Galaxy, because since it's staring characters from outer space, he can't just have them sit around all day making pop culture references.

#43 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio

@obscurefan said:

he can't just have them sit around all day making pop culture references.

Or can he...

#44 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Last but certainly not least, a beloved Marvel Studios character will live on in the small screen. That's right, Agent Phil Coulson will star in the upcoming S.H.I.E.L.D. tv series by Joss Whedon. How? I have no idea... life model decoy? Thoughts?

FCKING YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#45 Posted by Mutie199 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

The space charcters in marvel have never excited me up to now but maybe i'll give them a shot if they turn out to be good books

#46 Posted by th3jok3r (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything with Bendis AND Mcniven deserves my attention. Definitely will be checking out GOTG. However, I have no interest in anything Loeb does. He ruined The Wolverine and his backstory. Sure, his early Batman work was great, but his Marvel work is garbage. My only cosmic work will be the Bendis/Mcniven Guardians stuff.

#47 Posted by AnonymousMC (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we get someone else beside Iron man on the GOTG. I mean Genis Vell, Photon (Monica Rambeau), Quasar, Wraith,Nova, Vision, Blue Marvel, Silver Surfer would have all fit better on this team. Blah, not going to bother with these. I will stick with the DNA run of the GOTG.

#48 Posted by Veitha (2955 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Mantis and Cosmo will be in that title. And I don't like Gamora's new costume

#49 Posted by TDK_1997 (14649 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty excited for the Punisher mini-series.

#50 Posted by leokearon (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

Loeb continues to shove his own crap down Marvel fans throats

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.