***NOTE: This concept should only be attached to Marvel NOW! #1 and relaunch issues. No other issues, annuals, international prints, or trade collections.***
In October 2012, following the conclusion of the major Marvel comics event, Avengers Vs. X-Men, Marvel will relaunch a number of its existing books and launch a number of key new series. This event is called "Marvel NOW!" and it will change many of Marvel's iconic characters such as Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Spider-Man. Asides from changes to well known characters, Marvel NOW! also incorporates changes to the Marvel Universe as a whole and the creative teams for some existing books.
Marvel have stated that there will be a new number one every week for four months (October 2012 - January 2013).
New Ongoing Volumes:
New and relaunching ongoing books that have been confirmed by the company are:
Four existing titles are also included in the Marvel NOW! relaunch. These titles either have a new creative team, new rosters, or even new names whilst retaining their original numbering. These titles are:
Existing Volumes; not using the Marvel NOW! logo:
Some existing Marvel title aren't included in, or affected by, Marvel NOW! and have switched to use the red banner at the bottom but not the Marvel NOW! logo since the initial relaunch, retaining their original numbering, their creative teams (with a few exceptions), and mostly continuing their current story lines:
- Avenging Spider-Man, starting with issue #15.1 in December 2012; written Christopher Yost and illustrated by Paco Medina. Now follows Doctor Octopus (the newly christened "Superior Spider-Man").
- Captain Marvel, starting with issue #9 in January 2013; written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and illustrated by Filipe Andrade replacing Dexter Soy.
- Daredevil, starting with issue #23 in February 2013; written by Mark Waid. The series continues to focus on the theme "actions have consequences".
- Dark Avengers, starting with issue #184 in December 2012; written by Jeff Parker and illustrated by Neil Edwards . The series now focuses solely on the Dark Avengers while including Moonstone and the return of U.S.Agent .
- Gambit, starting with issue #8 in January 2013; written by James Asmus and illustrated by Clay Mann.
- Hawkeye, starting with issue #6 in December 2012; written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by David Aja replacing Javier Pulido.
- Scarlet Spider, starting with issue #13 in January 2013; written by Christopher Yost and illustrated by Khoi Pham.
- Venom, starting with issue #31 in February 2013; written by Cullen Bunn and illustrated by Thony Silas.
- Winter Soldier, starting with issue #15 in February 2013; with Jason LaTour and Nic Klein replacing Ed Brubaker and Butch Guice as writer and illustrator.
- X-Factor, starting with the Hell on Earth War and issue #250 in January 2013; written by Peter David and illustrated by Leonard Kirk.
New Limited Series and One-Shots:
The relaunch will also bring about a number of limited series including:
New Limited Series; not using the Marvel NOW! logo:
Like some ongoing titles, a few limited series that are related to Marvel NOW! do not use the Marvel NOW! logo but the red banner at the bottom only. These titles are:
- Age of Ultron by Brian Michael Bendis and Bryan Hitch. A weekly ten-issue limited series and crossover event that is published between March and June 2013, including a few tie-ins, and two epilogues (Age of Ultron #10A.I. and #10U.C.) in July 2013. A new ongoing series, Avengers A.I., will deal with the world after the events of Age of Ultron; debuting in July 2013.
- Alpha: Big Time by Joshua Hale Fialkov and Nuno Plati. A five-issue mini-series that explores Spider-Man's recently-introduced sidekick in the aftermath of Amazing Spider-Man #700 for "Marvel NOW!". Starting in February 2013.
- AVX: Consequences, by Kieron Gillen and Tom Raney. A five-issue long series dealing with the aftermath of the company-wide event, Avengers Vs. X-Men. Released in October/November 2012.
The following titles were announced in the second year of Marvel NOW!:
New Ongoing Volumes:
Debuting in July 2013.
New Limited Series:
- Avengers: The Enemy Within by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Scott Hepburn. A five-part mini-series starting in May 2013 and focusing on Captain Marvel and the Avenger as they have to deal with vicious echoes of their past.
- Infinity by Jonathan Hickman and Jim Cheung. Infinity is a six-part event beginning in August 2013. The series will see the greatest super-heroes - the Avengers, X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four, Inhumans, Superior Spider-Man & more - preparing for the greatest battle for survival ever - against the most dangerous threat in Marvel Universe: Thanos.
- Superior Carnage by Kevin Shinick and Stephen Segovia. A five-issue mini-series launching during Superior Spider-Month in July 2013. The series will see an attempt by Wizard to convert Carnage to the side of evil, unaware that Kletus Kasady is lobotomized and not in control.
- What If? Avengers VS X-Men, four-part mini-series written by Jimmy Palmiotti; reinterpreting a key event in the history of the Marvel Universe, featuring Magneto, Hope, and every Avenger and X-Man you can imagine! Debuting in July 2013.
Marvel NOW! incorporates the cancellation of a large number of existing Marvel titles between October and December 2012. These are: