Would a New Mangaverse be able to last?

#1 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

I myself have an idea for a "New Mangaverse"

#3 Posted by BKole (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh really?

What idea is this? I think Mangaverse might work better if it was controlled and written by a rotating team of Japanese writers and artists. That way they could control their output a bit better and make it properly about Manga rather than making it American Manga. But that said, I've loved everything Mangaverse

#4 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

My version of the Mangaverse picks up where the original left off only with a few changes to the history such as Valture led the wold wide genocide not Fury and Electra betrays the team to King Pin. The survivors now consist of a new Avengerse team (Luke Cage/Power Man as leader, Iron Man, Wolverine (now without the laser claws, I never liked those much, and a bit of a younger appearence with a costume looking like a mix between street cloths and is classic outfit), Spider-Man (now with both his ninja background and spider powers, drawing some eliments from Naruto), Spider Woman (a spider powered Mary Jane), Black Cat (now MJ's rivel for Peter's affections), Moon Knight, The Torch (Based after Mangaverse Torch only now she's more like this universe's Firestar and is Johnny and Sue's younger half-sister), Captain America (still Carol Danvers), and Deadpool) several other heroes have also survied (like Dr. Strange, Daredevil and Hulk (who's more of a cross between 616 and Godzilla)) and now they're mostly trying to cope with a world tuned upside down dealing with how few heroes in the world there are, as new and old threats become known like the Mandarine, the Skrull, Dr. Doom and even Mephistopheles, while struggling with poor public opinion, SHEILD's agendas and new heroes becoming known (like Blade, Iron Fist and Venom (turning anti-hero with a major change in appearance)). And the only aid they've got is Nick Fury (looking more like Ultimate version).

As for behind the scenes I really like your ideas. Some of the plots are a little unsatisfying and the art could have been better (though I strangely find myself pretty ok with the art). And I also thought Marvel had the wrong idea. Insted of doing what they did, Marvel should have taken the base coar of Earth 616 and put it in an manga shell not make it completely diffrent for the sake of making it manga. Also they could add in more charaters like J. Jonah Jamason, Death and Ronin.

#5 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Marvel mangaverse would succeed if it were truly manga, not "americanga".

Moderator
#6 Edited by King Hyperion (3715 posts) - - Show Bio
KillerZ said:
"I think that Marvel mangaverse would succeed if it were truly manga, not "americanga".
"
I second that!
#7 Edited by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought they butchered the art by trying to mix in two different styles and the end result is....butchery. Either way, it sucks!

#8 Edited by King Hyperion (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

What The Marvel Mangaverse needs is a team that actually writes and draws Manga for a living such as CLAMP (the Creators of Cardcaptor Sakura, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Magic Knight Rayearth, Chobits, etc.) and not have people like Ben Dunn at the helm. What about that guy who did Wolverine: Snikt? That was a pretty good series. I am sure he could make a "New" New Mangaverse work.

#9 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio
King Hyperion said:
"What The Marvel Mangaverse needs is a team that actually writes and draws Manga for a living such as CLAMP (the Creators of Cardcaptor Sakura, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Magic Knight Rayearth, Chobits, etc.) and not have people like Ben Dunn at the helm. What about that guy who did Wolverine: Snikt? That was a pretty good series. I am sure he could make a "New" New Mangaverse work.
"
I second that motion. The Mangaverse should be drawn by experienced manga artists. Though I find the character designs themselves to be good. Just in need of better artists.
#10 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

King Hyperion said:

"What The Marvel Mangaverse needs is a team that actually writes and draws Manga for a living such as CLAMP (the Creators of Cardcaptor Sakura, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Magic Knight Rayearth, Chobits, etc.)


Those are some good styles. Though I'm slightly partial to Totally Spies and/or Read Or Die style. Also what about the charatcer designs and alterations? Keep or leave?

#11 Posted by Loaded Revolver (1417 posts) - - Show Bio

Mangaverse doesn't have to suck.Get Udon on the art,write some good stuff...it could work out.The bullsh#t they did before..X-Men:Ronin,The Phoenix crap,Legend of the Spider-Clan etc.Most of it wasn't even mediocre.

#12 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
Loaded Revolver said:
"Mangaverse doesn't have to suck.Get Udon on the art,write some good stuff...it could work out.The bullsh#t they did before..X-Men:Ronin,The Phoenix crap,Legend of the Spider-Clan etc.Most of it wasn't even mediocre."

Udon is great.

Overseer said:
"Spider Woman (a spider powered Mary Jane"
That definitely sounds like manga. Superhero's in manga seem to always have their girlfriends have powers sooner or later.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever heard of Marvel Mangaverse but doing a new one sounds great. They should NOT just get any experienced manga artist. I'm sorry but I HATE how most manga looks. They should get some artists and writers that are fans of manga that already work on American comics like Greg Pak and Frank Miller (I LOVE his cover art for Samurai Executioner Vol. 1, the only manga I've ever read) There are also so artist that can do manga like art like Ultimate Spider-Man's Mark Bagley.
#13 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
They should NOT just get any experienced manga artist. I'm sorry but I HATE how most manga looks. They should get some artists and writers that are fans of manga that already work on American comics like Greg Pak and Frank Miller (I LOVE his cover art for Samurai Executioner Vol. 1, the only manga I've ever read) There are also so artist that can do manga like art like Ultimate Spider-Man's Mark Bagley.
Though I agree with your earlier statments, in all truth, a mangaverse would not really be a mangaverse if it wasn't done in an anime/manga style. Hence the name. I'm not trying to be rude or insulting but in all truth an experienced manga art team would be nessisary for a truly good mangaverse, though writers from the normal comics will be welcome. The people who did Marvel Knights or those doing Dark Reign would be pretty good story wise though fans of anime/manga will be sort of a nessessity to get in the humor and antics of mangaverse versions of the heroes.
#14 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
Overseer said:
"gunswordfist said:
They should NOT just get any experienced manga artist. I'm sorry but I HATE how most manga looks. They should get some artists and writers that are fans of manga that already work on American comics like Greg Pak and Frank Miller (I LOVE his cover art for Samurai Executioner Vol. 1, the only manga I've ever read) There are also so artist that can do manga like art like Ultimate Spider-Man's Mark Bagley.
Though I agree with your earlier statments, in all truth, a mangaverse would not really be a mangaverse if it wasn't done in an anime/manga style. Hence the name. I'm not trying to be rude or insulting but in all truth an experienced manga art team would be nessisary for a truly good mangaverse, though writers from the normal comics will be welcome. The people who did Marvel Knights or those doing Dark Reign would be pretty good story wise though fans of anime/manga will be sort of a nessessity to get in the humor and antics of mangaverse versions of the heroes."
I see what you mean but what I was saying was that you don't have to be Japanese to do manga style art. I think Frank Miller and Mark Bagley have and could do it right. That's all.
#15 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Loaded Revolver said:
"Mangaverse doesn't have to suck.Get Udon on the art,write some good stuff...it could work out.The bullsh#t they did before..X-Men:Ronin,The Phoenix crap,Legend of the Spider-Clan etc.Most of it wasn't even mediocre."
Any comic idea would work with good writing.
Moderator
#16 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

So was the old mangaverse unreadable or something?

#17 Posted by Clutch (2836 posts) - - Show Bio

Udon should do the art and make it real..MANGA.

#18 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
Clutch said:
"Udon should do the art and make it real..MANGA."

Barack Obama approves this message.
#19 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"Overseer said:
"gunswordfist said:
They should NOT just get any experienced manga artist. I'm sorry but I HATE how most manga looks. They should get some artists and writers that are fans of manga that already work on American comics like Greg Pak and Frank Miller (I LOVE his cover art for Samurai Executioner Vol. 1, the only manga I've ever read) There are also so artist that can do manga like art like Ultimate Spider-Man's Mark Bagley.
Though I agree with your earlier statments, in all truth, a mangaverse would not really be a mangaverse if it wasn't done in an anime/manga style. Hence the name. I'm not trying to be rude or insulting but in all truth an experienced manga art team would be nessisary for a truly good mangaverse, though writers from the normal comics will be welcome. The people who did Marvel Knights or those doing Dark Reign would be pretty good story wise though fans of anime/manga will be sort of a nessessity to get in the humor and antics of mangaverse versions of the heroes."
I see what you mean but what I was saying was that you don't have to be Japanese to do manga style art. I think Frank Miller and Mark Bagley have and could do it right. That's all."

When you put it that way. I'd agree.
#20 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio
Clutch said:
"Udon should do the art and make it real..MANGA."

Not so much unreadable as not given the time or effort it deserved. Something of a good idea that wasn't able to reach its full potensial.
#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
Clutch said:
"Udon should do the art and make it real..MANGA."
^Why is everyone co-signing this post when he pretty much said the same exact thing as me?
Moderator
#22 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok. It's been who knows how long but to let all who read this know; I've completely revamped and rebooted my new mangaverse. Now known as The Marvel Mangaverse V2.
#23 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

i know a lot of you will be upset but... what is a Mangaverse? a nice explanation would be nice. especially with no insults. lol.

#24 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

any Marvel Mangaverse put out by marvel themselves will flop, 
as has already been tested and proven, so no i dont.

#25 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm

#26 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1495 posts) - - Show Bio

@KillerZ said:

I think that Marvel mangaverse would succeed if it were truly manga, not "americanga".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.