theacidskull's Marvel Knights: Hulk #1 - Transformé One of Four review

• theacidskull wrote this review on .
  • theacidskull has written a total of 175 reviews. The last one was for
  • This review received 2 comments

Promising Start

I've been really looking forward to this, Indestructible has become a hit or miss for me, and despite the fact that i'm excited for the next arc I still feel slightly skeptic about it to be completely honest. This mini-series holds a lot of opportunities since it's not really canon, therefore the author has a lot of freedom in doing what he wants to do.

I'll just say this right of the bat, the premise of the story seems very intriguing, it would never have occurred to me to place Banner in a Paris with Amnesia, it's just a bizarre thing that it not only amazes but intrigues me. The story isn't all that open yet, there are a lot of mysteries to be unlocked, which would imply that the starting issue did it's Job, which was providing a superficial look at the events taking place( or the events to come later on). Bruce/Hulk has to face two new interesting villains, some mysterious Gamma charged man are chasing after him, and their leader, the one who pulls the strings, is strongly tied to A.I.M. Her main goal? Break The Hulk! These small elements are spread throughout the issue, and are extremely well prepared for exploitation. So what can I say? I'm excited.

The art is absolutely astounding. The scene of two Abomination-like humanoids chasing banner through Paris is a seriously overwhelming sight. Kowalski draws Hulk, and his adversaries expertly, and I can not even begin to express how much i'm hoping for a big throw down. With art like this, it's bound to be a noteworthy/worthwhile moment.

There are some minor gripes though, opening story or not, there are some questions that left me scratching my head, why wasn't banner able to transform into the Hulk? Sure, he lost his memory, but the adrenaline rush should have triggered the transformation regardless of his state. Unless of course he lost his ability to transform for some odd reason. These aren't really problems as it's the first installment but they must be explained further on.

Overall, this was extremely fun. The premise is good, the characterization is well executed, the story is interesting, and the art is absolutely amazing.

Recommendation: Yes!