Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

The one major problem with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DareHulk

First of all I'm not trying to bash the MCU at all, because I love The Avengers, Thor, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. But I must point out the series' major flaw and this is horribly mediocre villains. Now I wouldn't call any of the villains are terrible but all of them are just meh....except Loki who is among the greatest comic book villains ever. But if we look at all the other villains they are what keeps this franchise from being the greatest superhero franchise ever.

Iron Monger-so no, he's not a crap villain but he is sort of a Darth Maul styled villain in the way that as a character he's very, very flat but the acting and visuals make him a bad-*** but boring as a character. Not to mention he's really just Iron Man Jumbo Sized!

The Abomination-okay so this dude's actually pretty good, his arc is simple but sufficient and his visuals are strong he's not poor just pretty good. But again another mirror villain. I would say he's second best MCU villain behind Loki. Although the gap between them is giant.

Whiplash-could've been amazing, his very presence makes every scene stronger and he certainly had the potential to be a fantastic villain. But they didn't do anything with him. And his second battle was poor, he loses in like 20 seconds. A failed attempt at a good character, he falls into the Darth Maul category too. At the end bigger suit, another mirror villain.

Justin Hammer-just really generic and boring. Also he is a Tony Stark wannabe, mirror villain again.

Red Skull-just like Whiplash could've been terrific, but was robbed of his greatness. He was way, WAY underused and underdeveloped. His action scenes were lame...I mean c'mon Marvel! Hugo Weaving's acting is amazing and the dialogue is pure poetry why you gotta ruin him with poor story?Oh and this is the last mirror villain, thank god too I'm beating a dead horse with that.

The Mandarin-Aldrich Killian is Justin Hammer level boringness and is just another rehash of the previous Iron Man villains.

See, Loki is the only truly great villain in the MCU. Sure you could argue "not every villain can be great" but they can at least make an effort. Look at the X-Men film series...3 great villains, Sir Ian Mckellen's Magneto, Kevin Bacon's Sebastian Shaw and Brian Cox's William Stryker. Look at the Spider-Man film series...2 fantastic villains. Look at the Batman film series, there is like 6 fantastic villains. I'm not trying to hate on the MCU, but the singular thing that makes the series inferior the Batman, X-Men and Spider-Man film franchises is the fact that there is only one memorable villain the whole series, the rest are so passable and mediocre.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

well the MCU is just getting started, theirs going to be more characters and stories added to it, theirs even hints leading to Cival War.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Guardiandevil83

I hope Thanos is done correctly. And agreed. Loki, Otto and Shaw were beast. Gotta put Lievs Creed in there. And Blades Deacon Frost.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only bad villains were the Iron Man ones. Red Skull, Loki, Abomination and Malekith were fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't think their was any hope for Whiplash. He just sucked and was easily the worst villain so far.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I really enjoyed the Red Skull so I would have to disagree there, however you are spot on with everything else! Most all the villains have been lackluster, including the recent Malekith. Ugh, poor Eccleston.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

I only liked Loki and Red Skull

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The correct answer to the only thing wrong with the MCU is Agents of SHIELD. SO BLAND, not to mention the bad humor, terrible dialogue, and unlikable characters outside of Coulson and May.

@tyrus said:

The only bad villains were the Iron Man ones. Red Skull, Loki, Abomination and Malekith were fine.

Yup. Agreed. Even then, I liked Aldritch Killian (sorry if I spelled that wrong).

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheFirstLantern

@darehulk: IF they would have done Whiplash a la Iron Man Armored Adventures when he destroys the suit etc. now that would have been wicked.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think their was any hope for Whiplash. He just sucked and was easily the worst villain so far.

Me neither. I know they aren't miracle workers. Maybe if the movie was 3 hours long and allowed more character development it'd be better, but in 2+ hours or less it'd be implausible.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

Me neither. I know they aren't miracle workers. Maybe if the movie was 3 hours long and allowed more character development it'd be better, but in 2+ hours or less it'd be implausible.

True, but everything about him just seemed bad. Justin Hammer was a better villain for me than Whiplash.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Also because they don't have X-Men, Fantastic Four, or Spider-Man. Missing out on a lot of good villains because of those missing properties

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deaditegonzo

So far, only Loki has had any long term, cross-film staying power. Really, i'd say DC has really thwomped them on iconic villains.

My main issue with the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that they are victims of their own success. Basically, theyll just push anything through, and a lot of the movies seem just formulaic. They just want to hit the points on their checklist, and set up the next team-up movie. Iron Man 2 & 3 first really raised my suspicions about this, but Thor 2 really drove it home.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I didn't even like Loki in the Avengers. He was fooled so many times, and thats supposed to be his thing!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Yes. I ranted about this in my blog a few weeks ago

MCU villains suck. Even Loki who is brilliant in Thor and Thor:TDW is terrible in Avengers (not the acting, the script). I liked Iron Monger and Red Skull.

Everyone else is mediocre at best. Down right terrible in some cases.

Winter Soldier aside, unless they can solve the problem of cosmic villains sucking (Galactic, Parallax, Malekith) there isn't much hope for the future.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darehulk: It's a pity they turned Red Skull into a mirror character. They should have shown him using brains vs brawn etc similar to Luthor vs Superman. Although as others said, he's not the worst offender.

Abomination is pretty good, just needs to fleshed out more.

Iron Monger is actually a good villain if you think of himself outside of the suit/as Obadiah Stane.

As for the rest, besides Loki and Malekith( Haven't seen it yet so can't judge), they're pretty forgettable villains.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@darehulk: It's a pity they turned Red Skull into a mirror character. They should have shown him using brains vs brawn etc similar to Luthor vs Superman. Although as others said, he's not the worst offender.

Abomination is pretty good, just needs to fleshed out more.

Iron Monger is actually a good villain if you think of himself outside of the suit/as Obadiah Stane.

As for the rest, besides Loki and Malekith( Haven't seen it yet so can't judge), they're pretty forgettable villains.

Id honestly say Malekith was one of the weakest villains yet. But youll have to be the judge for yourself of course.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hopeful for future villains... Winter Soldier looks perfect, Ronan should be great especially since I keep hearing from his actor that he's a "psycho" and Ultron is under Joss Whedon's care so I have no doubt there.

We should just be grateful that we're actually seeing villains like Red Skull, Malekith or Ultron appearing on the big-screen - Never did I think that I'd see any of these Marvel villains in my lifetime.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree with you on Red Skull. I thought Skull was very well done. Usually the (non-comic fans) complain that he wasn't a very complex or relatable villain like Loki is, but honestly he's not suppose to be. He's a Super-Nazi, both in the literal and figurative sense, and that's all you really need to know about him. Over-all I thought his movie portrayal was great, I hope they bring him back in Cap 2 or 3.

Rest I agree with. Kurse I thought was a cool henchmen type villain, but Malekith was kindof a "meh" main villain. All the villains from the Iron Man/Hulk movies have been "meh" as well.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes, this is true.

But hopefully the Winter Soldier changes things.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrus: He will be epic. Prepare to be Judged!

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Winter Soldier and Ultron will surely dominate

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Yes, this is true.

But hopefully the Winter Soldier changes things.

The teaser of him turning around catching Cap's shield was sick.

Hopefully he's a BAMF

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Skull & Loki were only good villains , Abomination was ok rest were meh.......i hope in Avengers 3 or any future movie they don't turn Thanos into a comedy character & while RDG cracks jokes about Thanos's chin , costume or other stuff & Hulk smacks him around like Loki while yelling "PUNY TITAN!" or "PRUNY CHINS!" & in climax of the movie, it is revealed that Thanos isn't main bad guy instead that Thanos's Lackey who was bullying Loki around in Avengers is actually the real bad guy

Avatar image for friendlysymbiotevenomman
    FriendlySymbioteVenomMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Confession: I really liked Justin Hammer.

Movie villains can be tricky. Generally, I find that the less you need to mess around with backstory/origin/transformation for the villain, the better he or she works out.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By LyraFay

Yeah the villains are totally the problem. Yes, I love Loki but everyone of the others are weak, its probably why haven't seen a Marvel movie since. Even though DC is lacking film wise, you've got to give credit to Christopher Nolan to pushing Batman's rogues and making them 3D characters (well maybe not Bane) but still how many more people can still remember Heath Ledger's Joker than Hugo Weaving's Red Skull. I'm sure a lot of people.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SilverPool

Eh, I think the main flaw is the comedy, which I really disliked in Thor 2 and wasn't impressed with in IM3.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.