Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Favorite Movies: The Avengers vs. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

No Caption Provided

While discussing Marvel Studios' movies, two are commonly named the top ones: the big team-up movie, The Avengers, and the latest effort,Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It's more than safe to say a majority of us adore these two movies and for completely different reasons, as well.

Director Joss Whedon's movie was all about spectacle and comedy. The dynamic and banter between teammates was put from and center and there was plenty of fan service as these popular characters fought against each other and eventually joined forces for a thrilling conclusion. Meanwhile, the Russo brothers' sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger presented one of the most serious and focused chapters that we've yet to see in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sure, jokes were sprinkled in at just the right moments, but overall, the story set out to change the world these character live in and give a strong insight into a few characters. And, just like The Avengers, it certainly had its share of big action scenes, too.

Both are mandatory viewing for any Marvel fan, but we want to know which one you prefer and why. And even if you think you can't choose, we have a "love both" option. We'd prefer if you take the time to really compare and contrast the movies' strengths and weaknesses, but if you really can't choose, then the option is there for you!

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

No Caption Provided

There's no need to make up your mind just yet, voters. The poll will stay open until Friday morning (ET), so that gives you more than enough time to reflect on these two awesome Marvel Studios movies.

After you cast you vote, don't forget to leap into the comments and share your thoughts with us. Why did you vote a certain way? Is it because of the story? How a character was handled? Perhaps you loved an action scene? We want to hear from you! Make the post entertaining enough and there's a chance we'll highlight it in Friday's article. That said, if you do want your post to be considered, please try to be concise and share your thoughts in a few paragraphs at most. So, will this be a close poll or will one project smash the other? Think about it and then vote!

Avengers poster by Tyler Stout; Cap 2 poster by Rich Kelly
    Avengers poster by Tyler Stout; Cap 2 poster by Rich Kelly

Check the homepage this Friday to see how the voting ends up and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

I vote for Cap 2. To me it wasn't just a Captain America story. It felt like it was a Secret Avengers movie with Cap, Falcon, Black Widow, Nick Fury Jr, Maria Hill, even Sharon Carter.

Hadesboy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I agree The Avengers was a little predictable.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Why's it labeled Avengers Assembled?

Anyway Avengers is a better superhero movie just for its concept all the heroes, scope, effect etc

BUT Winter Soldier is a better movie in general because of great acting and story etc

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Winter Soldier. When all settles down and new hype fades away you can still call it a great movie....Avengers not so much.

conbar24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber: It was mainly for UK audiences because there had already been a tv series called the Avengers.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm not a big fan of either, but I voted CA: TWS.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, The avengers was more of a live action Saturday morning cartoon. I might get killed for saying that, but that's how I feel. It was a lot of spectacle, but not much else. I think Cap 2 was the better movie. It raised the stakes of the MCU and really really brought in some much needed weight.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

@conbar24: Ah thats what I thought. The Assemble part kinda takes the power out of it though

Avatar image for kingofhearts9374
    kingofhearts9374

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kingofhearts9374

Captain America told a better story, and had better action and character development. so for me CA: TWS

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IDontLikeBirds

Great pairing for the vote. On one hand, you have The Avengers, the culmination of several movies that had a satisfying build up. It had big names, lots of action, hit all the spots it needed and was a major leap forward for comic book movies. On the other hand, you have Captain America The Winter Soldier, a movie that took a different direction for comic book movies. It had lots of action, intrigue and espionage. It also did a great job of portraying an underrated character, Falcon. One movie was a great action and popcorn flick, the perfect example of what a summer blockbuster should be. The other movie was an incredible example of what a spy movie should be, and I should add, made me further love a character that I normally don't care about. Hands down it's Captain America The Winter Soldier. I don't typically enjoy spy movies, but this one kept me completely glued to the screen and caught me off guard with how good it was.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

Winter Soldier. Though, Iron Man is better than both.

ThreadPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap 2. No question for me. As soon as I left the theater I wanted to see Cap 2 again. Although it was an amazing thing to see the payoff for all of the hard work, I haven't seen The Avengers since opening night.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Captain13

While Avengers was a bigger cinematic feat, CA:TWS was a better, more thought provoking, and more dramatic film.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i vote for cap 2 because cap 2 is a more serious movie.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter Soldier all the way, and I'm not even a fan of cap.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Winter Soldier was the better film, but the Avengers is so special just because they brought together all of those heroes successfully.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Cap 2 was good and all, but Cap just felt so boringly invincible that I couldn't really get invested in the action scenes. Plus, we're supposed to think the guy was morally superior for bringing down all of S.H.I.E.L.D., not just Hydra, ignoring the fact that it puts the world at the mercy of dozens of supervillains. As such, my vote goes to the Avengers.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cap 2

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I love the Avengers, I feel like it's mostly because of Loki (yeah, sorry). Anyways, Winter Soldier defenitely. It was better.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Winter Soldier is the better movie, but Avengers is more fun to watch.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the Avengers more because well...is the Avengers but CA : TWS has more intriguing plot compare to the Avengers and Cap's hand to hand combat is greatly improved compare to The Avengers.

Avatar image for justbeinghonest
    JUSTBEINGHONEST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotham331: agreed, cap 2 has a waaaay better rewatch factor after the avengers hype died

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.