Review: Back To The Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy Blu-ray

Posted by G-Man (30644 posts) - - Show Bio

Without a doubt, Back to the Future is my second favorite trilogy. I can watch these movies over and over and still be entertained. Watching them always brings me to a happy place. I still recall watching the first movie in a theater back in 1985. I knew who the actors involved were and thought time travel was "cool" from watching Doctor Who but had no idea how big this movie would be.

Today, Universal has released the trilogy on Blu-ray. There's always the question of should you upgrade to Blu-ray if you already own the movies on DVD. It's really more of a question of why wouldn't you?  

Before popping in the first movie, I put in the DVD version. Comparing the two, there is definitely a difference. I thought the DVDs looked good but they're clearly grainy when you compare the two. Even some of the deleted scenes (which haven't been fully remastered) look better on Blu-ray. 

There is so much to watch on these discs. Even though I've had my copy for a couple weeks, I almost needed a time machine myself to watch everything before today's release date.  
 == TEASER == 
In case you haven't seen the specs, here's a list of all the special features: 
SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

Eric Stoltz as Marty?...no thanks.
There's a mix of old and new special features but they are above the average "making of..." features often seen. A couple of the features that really stood out were the behind the scenes images and footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly. There was also a FAQ section included. While being just text, it had some questions that I've had over the years and it was nice to get some personal justifications from arguments I've had in the past over the trilogy. 

The Blu-ray production, video and audio, are an improvement. If you're a fan of the movies and you have a Blu-ray player, you're definitely going to want this in your collection. 

As for how it holds up today, my seven-year-old daughter loved all three movies. She has watched some episodes of Doctor Who so the time traveling/timeline thing wasn't too much of an issue for her. She was on the edge of her seat during the suspenseful moments and I even caught her crossing her fingers towards the end of the third movie. When I asked her why she was crossing them, her reply was that she was hoping there was still a lot left to the movie. Sadly, there was only about ten minutes left. 

I could go on about how great the movies are and how wonderful this release is but I think you get the idea. This gets a 5 out of 5. Buy it today. If you don't own a Blu-ray player, pick one of those up as well. 

Staff
#1 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Michael J. Fox is the shortest person in that picture. This movie came out yesterday or today?

#2 Posted by mpgeist (75 posts) - - Show Bio

The new documentary is really well produced and entertaining. I love all three movies so I have no issue getting the set on blu-ray even though I own the 2002 release. Well worth it for fans!

#3 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

So what is your first favorite trilogy? I would say Star Wars but you know what happens when you assume.

#4 Posted by Norusdog (203 posts) - - Show Bio

why...is this on comic vine?  whiskey media has a movie/film/tv/whatever site called...screened...shouldn't this be there?

what does this have to do with comics or even comic movies?

#5 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had Blu Ray I'd pick this up. I have no copies of any of the movies. (though I have watched them countless times.) 

I do however have the awful NES game LJN produced. I frequently get the music stuck in my head. 

#6 Posted by G-Man (30644 posts) - - Show Bio
@KRYPTON : In stores today. Saw it at Target for $50. 

@DMC: Let's see, you have the Matrix Trilogy, LOTR, Terminator, X-Men, Spider-Man, Mad Max, Superman (yeah, I'm leaving some of the bad "fourth" films). But Star Wars (Episodes IV-VI) are definitely my #1.
Staff
#7 Posted by danhimself (22286 posts) - - Show Bio

already bought...I had this on preorder...this is my all time favorite set of movies...you can watch it over and over and not get sick of it

#8 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:  
Okay thanks!  
#9 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@norusdog said:
"why...is this on comic vine?  whiskey media has a movie/film/tv/whatever site called...screened...shouldn't this be there?  what does this have to do with comics or even comic movies? "

Back To The Future had it's Own Comic Series
#10 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @KRYPTON : In stores today. Saw it at Target for $50. 

@DMC: Let's see, you have the Matrix Trilogy, LOTR, Terminator, X-Men, Spider-Man, Mad Max, Superman (yeah, I'm leaving some of the bad "fourth" films). But Star Wars (Episodes IV-VI) are definitely my #1. "
Its funny I was just thinking the other day that BTTF was the first time part (or all) of the trilogy was filmed simultaneously and released in theaters months (sometimes a year) apart. This concept has been imitated by Pirates, LOTR, Kill Bill, Harry Potter 7, and now the Hobbit. Sometimes it seems as though the producers are just splitting one story into two films in order to charge twice as many tickets. 

Was there a precedent to BTTF for this formula? I can't think of any. 
#11 Posted by G-Man (30644 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102 said:
" @norusdog said:
"why...is this on comic vine?  whiskey media has a movie/film/tv/whatever site called...screened...shouldn't this be there?  what does this have to do with comics or even comic movies? "
Back To The Future had it's Own Comic Series "
It had two series! 

And I did also post it over at Screened.
Staff
#12 Posted by unidentified (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Back to the Future was good back in it's day. I'm still waiting for it's modern day successor Booster Gold the movie.

#13 Posted by NightFang (9874 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool!

#14 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14402 posts) - - Show Bio

I preety much decided it would be mine soon as i saw the porice was quite good for and i haev never owned my own copies and bluerays are all i buy now days.

#15 Posted by Norusdog (203 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: wasn't trying to sound like an ass even though, re-reading it, that's how it sounds...so apologies for that.

was honestly just curious..cause I couldn't figure why it was here...but, I now I see.  I wasn't aware it had a comic series. (much less two)
#16 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really interested in re-buying a movie in Bluray I already own in DVD. (specially since it already was a special edition and all...there's no small economies!)

But this all sound and look great! Almost making me buy it!
Thanks to the fact I don't own a bluray...yet.. XD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.