BACK TO THE FUTURE Comic Invests in the Future

Posted by G-Man (30652 posts) - - Show Bio

It's safe to say that pretty much the entire staff here at Comic Vine loves Back to the Future. While there was a four-issue comic series, it wasn't enough to satisfy my curiosity about how a proper comic book series could be. Now, in a way, we'll get to see that. And by purchasing it, you can even help out a good cause.

If you're familiar with the deep history of the movies, you're likely aware that Eric Stoltz was actually cast as Marty McFly before Michael J. Fox gave life to the role. Stoltz apparently spent about four weeks filming but it was decided he was miscast. That was when it was decided to bring Fox in. To make things harder, Melora Hardin was originally cast as Marty's girlfriend, Jennifer. With Fox on board, it was painfully decided she was too tall for the role. Producer Bob Gale has stated letting her go was one of the hardest things he had to do.

Now a comic miniseries will address trying to actually change the past.

BACK TO BACK TO THE FUTURE is a six-issue series written by David Guy Levy. The story deals with Bob Gale and Melora Hardin accidentally going back in time where they make it that Stoltz doesn't get recast.

You can find out more about this and how exactly this series will benefit the future by checking out this video:

You will be able to check the comic out on July 10, 2013 at GivingBackToTheFuture.com. If you want to find out more about the Young Storytellers Foundation, you can check out their site HERE. If you check out the comic's Facebook page, you can find links to download the first two issues for free.

You'll probably hear a little more about this tomorrow as well...

Update

You can check out David Guy Levy on the Comic Vine podcast HERE.

Staff
#1 Edited by Falconer (150 posts) - - Show Bio

This is so ridiculously meta it's amazing.

#2 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20149 posts) - - Show Bio

Pooping awesome! I just watched the movie literally 5 minutes ago!

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32818 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds great, who doesn't love BTTF?

#4 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20149 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait will this come out in print? Or TPB?

#5 Posted by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by danhimself (22291 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6109 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow that's mega stupid. MJF is MARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Posted by dreamfall31 (526 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch the Eric Stoltz video, there's a reason he was dropped from the film.

#9 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read the first two issues and I thought it was decent. The premise is very cool and the overall story is going well but the dialogue and overall storytelling is a bit clunky.

If I had to give it a score it'd probably be a 3/5 so far.

#10 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

what a great idea! when im world famous for my writing and have a couple Eisners under my belt and a movie in the works, im gona start something like that on west coast of Canada and the US

#11 Posted by NightFang (9903 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Scott!

#12 Posted by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

"Gotta Get Back In Time..."

#14 Posted by sentryman555 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kinda disappointed about this. Its a cool idea but when I saw the article title I thought this comic was gonna continue the adventures of Doc and Marty. Their was a lot more they could've ended up exploring! But this is still an interesting premise and it's great that they're helping out the kids.

#15 Posted by kriminal (642 posts) - - Show Bio

lame. i was hoping it was an idw ongoing or something

#16 Posted by TheShutup (43 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't even a clever idea. it's an interesting idea if you were with your friends and saying "hey how might it have been" then go on youtube to see scenes he was in to see how it went. but that's about it
For whoever thinks this will be great..please tell me why???

This should definitely have been one of those IDW on-goings with further adventures of Marty and Doc.

#17 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7588 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting stuff.

#18 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, so this is about the actors of BTTF in a behind the camera thing, and not a comic about Marty and Doc? I don't get why I would be interested.

#19 Edited by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

I just finished watching Spin City. Michael J. Fox was hilarious as deputy mayor. This article makes me wanna watch the BTTF movies again.

...to the future!

#20 Posted by Hit_Monkey (872 posts) - - Show Bio

Brilliant!

#21 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

stupid idea. at the end of the day nobody cares who was supposed to get those two parts. Fox nailed the role and gave life to one of the most iconic movie characters ever. Watching the scenes of Stoltz in the 25th anniversary edition its easy to see that BTTF would not have been the success it was had he never been recast. Not saying the guy is a bad actor, just that he wouldn't have made a good Marty McFly.

Just watched the AMC marathon last night and the entire time kept wondering.....could they make a Part 4? Part 2 took place in 2015 with Marty and Jennifer having a son and daughter. So would a Part 4 be possible with the kids given the fact that the 2015-2016 depicted in Part 4 is not the same one depicted in Part 2? All the major actors are still around and you'd simply have to cast the son and daughter....probably have to recast Doc's sons as well.

I would argue it is possible because of the alternate future theory used in Part 2. The 2015 Marty and Doc visited in that film was simply the 2015 that could have occurred based on the now of 1985 that the two came from. The fact that our present didn't get to that is simply an effect of the future constantly being in flux, whereas the past is more fixed.

***Sidenote: As my wife and I watched BTTF2 last night, she noted that the flying police car which takes young Jennifer to her house in 2015 looks damn close to the current Prius models....just food for thought***

What could Part 4 be about though, as the trilogy wrapped things up quite nicely and I can't think of any plot questions which were unresolved? The thing that first pops into my head is using a premise similar to Part 2, the stealing of a time machine to alter the future by going into the past, to span a new trilogy.

I wouldn't continue the Tanner vs McFly rivalry....that was a hallmark of the first trilogy. Instead I would go with a completely new bad guy whose able to get a hold of Brown's train and starts changing things throughout history in order to bring about his (or her) ideals of the perfect future. So we get a lot of little changes throughout various periods of time rather than a singular event (aka November 21st, 1955). As a result the new trilogy could use all 4 children as the amount of fixing they need to do would precipitate the requirement for 2 time machines vice 1. Adding drama to the plot could be the fact that Doc and Clara have been trapped in separate time periods and due to the paradoxical nature of the films events Marty and Jennifer are killed after their children are born but their kids remember them being alive, that confusion as to what happened to their parents (I envision, for example, the two of them waking up at the start of the film...a nod to the times Marty would wake up as if from a dream....to their parents not being home and when they try to find them their grandparents and close friends tell them about Marty and Jennifer dying x number of years ago) being the starting point of Part 4 and what leads them into the successive events of the trilogy.

What do you all think? With Star Wars going into a new trilogy and Star Trek getting rebooted (which is the last thing I want for BTTF even though ST used a time paradox argument) could BTTF continue on into more films? Its not like audiences have outgrown the scientific notion of time travel. What car(s) would be used for the time machine? Knowing Hollywood it would probably be something "cool" (i.e. not cool in this sense) like a camaro or charger, but what would make the best time travel car that has the same type of image or public idea of it as the delorian did in the 80's?

#23 Posted by NICKXH (223 posts) - - Show Bio

Who the hell is Eric Stoltz?

#24 Posted by Doing_Wrong_So_Nicely (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does this feel like a really late April's Fools joke? I am not impressed.

#25 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmm this sounds just like Dark Horse's "The Star Wars" comic that will be made in due time. What would be cool now is if David Guy Levy did the same concept he did for this comic here and does another story involving a 'what if' to Tom Selleck having continued the role of Indiana Jones as was originally intended instead of Harrison Ford.

#26 Posted by ThomasElliot (360 posts) - - Show Bio

I consider myself a pretty big BTTF fan (I was a member of the official fanclub as kid!), but I've never ever experienced anything as great as the core trilogy of films.

This sounds interesting only in the fact of the story concept, not necessarily because its BTTF.

As for continuing the story... not with Marty. Adventures of Doc Brown might make for a good comic series, but Marty's story has a beginning and end.

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32818 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

@falconer said:

This is so ridiculously meta it's amazing.

This.

Definitely picking up :)

#29 Edited by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

Got my hopes up and they crushed them.

#30 Edited by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know Stoltz was the original McFly.

Wow.

#32 Edited by TheShutup (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: soooo...I am supposed to LOVE it just because money is going to kids??
i give my fair share of donations without rewards, just because this is for charity doesn't mean i will like it anymore.
That's be like Kanye West telling everyone he is GOD then saying we have to like him because he is charitable.

I PERSONALLY don't like the idea, my own opinion, think this is a dumb idea.
My opinion isn't everyone elses but the fact is just because somehting is for charity doesn't mean you have to be forced to like it. So i don't see how you can use that for your argument.

Explain your point further if you can?

#34 Posted by Mahzian (116 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it's a success, that way it will at least raise some money for charity and give publishers inspiration for an ongoing BTTF series *hint hint*

#35 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate back to the future. and michael jay fox.

#36 Posted by Dud317 (286 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap! A lot of people are hating this already. More or less this is an elseworlds tale, with the first 3 issues being free. If you don't like the idea, don't read it. Besides, it seems like its more of a what if. I seriously doubt it has an anti MJF agenda. If only someone did a story where, I don't know, Superman landed in Russia or something. It doesn't change ANYTHING.

#37 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6109 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous:

soooo...I am supposed to LOVE it just because money is going to kids??

i give my fair share of donations without rewards, just because this is for charity doesn't mean i will like it anymore.

That's be like Kanye West telling everyone he is GOD then saying we have to like him because he is charitable.

My opinion isn't everyone elses but the fact is just because somehting is for charity doesn't mean you have to be forced to like it. So i don't see how you can use that for your argument.

Well Said

#38 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32818 posts) - - Show Bio

@theshutup said:

@jonny_anonymous:

soooo...I am supposed to LOVE it just because money is going to kids??

Well Said

no but being less of a jackass would be nice

#39 Edited by nightwingnerd (322 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this only on the website or can I get it on Comixology?

#40 Posted by kimi74 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see anything not to like. I love MJF in BTTF but I'll always have some Eric Stoltz (that may have come out creepier than I intended).

The comic is supporting a great organisation fostering creativity in new generations and a new take on the BTTF series is very cool. An unusual angle. And the art looks great!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.