Why does it have to be the 'Martian' Manhunter?

#1 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Caution: Satire

It was fairly progressive of DC comics to include a Martian character in the Justice League way, way back in 1960.  J'onn J'onzz's presence certainly helped raise reader awareness of Martian culture and their contributions to crime-fighting and planetary defense.  But even though J'onn has innumerable secret identities, he's still known among his fellow superheroes as "the Martian".  Many even refer to him by that very name.

J'onn certainly fits the Martian stereotype with his vast strength and cerebral powers.  He's even green for cryin' out loud (it would be decades later when Morrison corrected this mistake with his 'white martians', but then applied the strongly negative militant stereotype to them).  There have been attempts to 'humanize' him by giving him human girlfriends and fostering an addiction to television and chocos.  J'onzz remains the JLA's second-banana alien, behind the more acceptably appearing Superman.  But the question for me still remains:

Why does it have to be the "Martian" Manhunter?  Sure, there's been a few characters by the name of Manhunter, but why does J'onn require the specific planetary qualifier?  Is he unfit to take the mantle of this clearly Earthling-centric title?  I sincerely doubt that the Martians refer to their Manhunters as "Martian Manhunters".  That would be like the English referring to their muffins as "English Muffins".
I'm a big advocate of having better representation of extraterrestrial and robot characters in comics, but find DC's treatment of the JLA's resident token Martian rather repugnant.

/Satire

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMiracle77: Haha, nice. I especially liked the part about the White Martians and their militant views. I wonder if there was a Martian apatheid...
#3 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMiracle77: I see your point. I agree, in general comic characters could be a little more progressive....
#4 Posted by Jake Fury (18166 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMiracle77:

I am in complete agreement. Martian Manhunter should be viewed as a derogatory term.
#5 Posted by karrob (4278 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @MrMiracle77: Haha, nice. I especially liked the part about the White Martians and their militant views. I wonder if there was a Martian apatheid... "
Lmao!
#6 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Now you're just being silly.  :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.