Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3662 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Nothing but a teleportation accident.

mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mfundo

I actually didn't mind that MM was not the last Martian on Mars in Young Justice. Now that I find out that he was brought to Earth by a teleportation accident in Young Justice, makes me sad too. The reason being for that is because he wouldn't of been a Leaguer if it weren't an accident and worst of all Miss Martian wounld't have joined the Young Justice team. All because the show's creators wanted to avoid similarities between him and Superman well guess what, they have been similar to one another ever since 1955. There is no point in making look as though he was brought to Earth by accident.

Did the show's creators make a good decision by making it look like an accident? Please tell me what you think.

Avatar image for mathematicscore
    mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mathematicscore

@mfundo: I haven't been watching the show, but it has always been some kind of accident that brought him to earth. The specifics have changed over time, and the state he leaves Mars in changed with the original Crisis, but J'onn's arrival being an unintentional consequence of an earth scientist's experiments has been pretty consistent.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman
    @mathematicscore said:

@mfundo: I haven't been watching the show, but it has always been some kind of accident that brought him to earth. The specifics have changed over time, and the state he leaves Mars in changed with the original Crisis, but J'onn's arrival being an unintentional consequence of an earth scientist's experiments has been pretty consistent.

This except I do watch the show.
    mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mathematicscore

@mfundo: I'm interested to know what you thought of his definitive origin being? How were you characterizing it, and what where you basing it on?

mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mfundo

@mathematicscore:

@Dernman:

Well, for me it's awkward to how he gets to Earth and all. I mean the producers of the show made it that way so that there wouldn't be to many similarities between him and Superman. This is legit information. For me it doesn't feel right in some sort of way.

mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mathematicscore

@mfundo: While the similarities of a powerful alien living on earth and helping people are undeniable, there are some definite twists from Superman. The original strip in Detective comics started as more 50's police drama with the secret ace in the whole of Martian powers. As superheroes regained popularity in the 60's he became more overtly "super" before jumping on the spy bandwagon when he switched over to House of Mystery. An argument could be made that he is no more a rip off of superman than any superhero, especially with the creative team trying to be, well, creative with the powers. (note: I can not promise they succeed :p)

I think J'onn's method of arrival to earth owes much to John Carter stories as anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.