Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3662 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Martian Manhunter's Powers ?

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Ok I know most about MM's Powers but I would like to know more about his shapshifting. Can MM change his sex like the Skrulls can? I also herd MM can grow like Giant Man is that true?

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Wow nobody. Well I will ask agian. I would like to lern more about MM's shapshifting powers. Can MM change his sex like the Skrulls can? I also herd MM can grow like Giant Man is that true?

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@Kid_Omega_Prime: I'm pretty sure MM can change his sex, but i've never heard of him changing his size ala Giant Man.

Avatar image for mathematicscore
    mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mathematicscore

@Kid_Omega_Prime: Yes, I can help you! The nature of his powers vary by writer, but considering the most popular and consistent takes, he has extremely specific control over his form. He is able to absorb matter around him to add to his mass, on one occasion growing to Godzilla size (MM vol 2 #2). In the One Million crossover he actually became one with Mars itself (this was with an assist from the Source). In that same crossover he mentions using his "shape-changing DNA" to counteract a futuristic super virus, which implies that he can indeed change his physical attributes at a very basic level and has some sort of cohesive being outside of his physical form.

I think this explains many of his powers. Encountering super beings like Kryptonians/New Gods/etc allowed Martians to copy their powers; hence flight/heat-vision/super breath/enhanced senses/becoming immaterial/etc.

Gender is a more interesting question, since many would argue that gender is somewhat subjective; actually, I see you said sex. He has referred to himself as "technically asexual" (JLA 63) and Martian breeding has been shown to be akin to mitosis (MM vol2 "In my life") or in the case of the original burning martians, entirely asexual (JLA "Trial by Fire".) He has assumed a more feminine gender on a few occasions, notably in JLTF 7-8 and less notably in WW vol2 174.

If you are interested in more, I highly recommend http://www.idol-head.blogspot.com/. There is a wealth of information there about his entire 50+ year history.

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Thanks mathematicscore that really helps alot.

Kiddevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Kiddevil

he also shrunk to microscopic size once :P

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By majestic99

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

Ok I know most about MM's Powers but I would like to know more about his shapshifting. Can MM change his sex like the Skrulls can? I also herd MM can grow like Giant Man is that true?

Yes on both accounts.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.