Martian Manhunter: What would you do with him?

Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

If you were given complete creative control over MM,what would you do with him?

1. Where would he operate?

2. How would he operate?

3. Solo or teammate?

4. Stronger, Same or Weaker?

5. Which villains would he face?

6. Last green Martian or not?

7. Love interest or not?

8. What personality/characterization would he have?

9. Who would his supporting cast be?

10. What back stories would his villains have?

#1 Edited by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Middleton
  2. Openly as a detective on the police force, but secretly using his powers to aid him in his crimesolving. On the side of his "human" job he tries to recreate the machine that Dr. Erdel made or try to find other ways to return home to Mars.
  3. Solo
  4. Same
  5. mobsters, Malefic, Professor Arnold Hugo, Human Flame, Osprey, B'rett, Mr. V, The Outsider, The Royal Flush Gang
  6. Not the last green Martian
  7. Wife back on Mars
  8. He would be kind of a lone wolf regarding his detective work, not necessarily because he is anti-social but because he doesn't want people to find out his secret identity. He is nostalgic for his lost home, and thus finds himself in the awkward position of trying to assimilate to life on Earth and "being" a human while trying not to lose his Martian identity. He often contemplates philosophical matters and society, comparing and contrasting Earth and Martian values, mannerisms, and what not.
  9. Lieutenant Saunders, Captain Harding, Diane Meade,
  10. I'll get back to you on this one lol
#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#3 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Edited mine a bit... Just out of curiosity, what would you do?

#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#5 Posted by SHARKBEARAGATOR (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

1. In the JLA but handles more inter planetary affairs

2. He would take certain missions he or the league think he can complete along with using his telepathy to scan the Galaxy for major problems

3. Solo but takes missions the league think he's capable of

4. Slightly Stronger, I would probably bulk him up a bit

5. My own created ones as for main premade ones Despero, Mongul, Yellow & Red Lanterns, Malefic

6. Not the last one

7. Yes O would experiment with a love interest

8. He would act more familiar with his Earth surroundings but still like the kind, generous and caring. But despite this still yearning for more respect from his fellow heroes. When regarding villains or criminals he would act more tough and intimidating to sort of mimic Batman but still never hitting the mark.

9. Mostly the JLA and other heroes to name a few Booster Gold, Power Girl, Green Arrow

10. Premade ones retain all previous back stories, originals villains are to cumbersome to cover now.

#6 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@SHARKBEARAGATOR: mongul is a superman villain and despero is a jl illain besides hes too powerful for mm.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@SHARKBEARAGATOR: mongul is a superman villain and despero is a jl illain besides hes too powerful for mm.

not really, J'onn has kicked his before like when Despero killed Gypsy's parents. and Despero hates J'onn more than any other hero on Earth,so its really not too much of a stretch for Despero to make a transition to Martian Manhunter villain especially seeing as how this is a reboot.

#8 Posted by SHARKBEARAGATOR (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos: Mongul has fought other heroes like Green Lanterns (ie Hal Jordan)

#9 Posted by Spellca (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

If you were given complete creative control over MM,what would you do with him?

1. Where would he operate?

2. How would he operate?

3. Solo or teammate?

4. Stronger, Same or Weaker?

5. Which villains would he face?

6. Last green Martian or not?

7. Love interest or not?

8. What personality/characterization would he have?

9. Who would his supporting cast be?

10. What back stories would his villains have?

1. Space.

2. A lone wolf at first exploring space. But maybe forming alliances.

3. Mainly solo. I imagine I would make it sort of like an "All Star Western" but in space. DC has created a big universe than can be played around with outside of Green Lantern, Superman and Starfire.

4. Same.

5. Space villains that are either under-utilized or not Darkseid-level

6. Last Green Martian

7. None.

8. The personality would be similar to that of the Justice League cartoon. Friendly, willing to work with others but distant from humanity due to being a martian. He would decide to explore space to see what else is out there.

9. As I said, make it the "All Star Western" of space...so the "All Stars" of DC space.

10. Whatever the writers want.

#10 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@jobbernos said:

not really, J'onn has kicked his before like when Despero killed Gypsy's parents. and Despero hates J'onn more than any other hero on Earth,so its really not too much of a stretch for Despero to make a transition to Martian Manhunter villain especially seeing as how this is a reboot.

when did mm fight despero? and how do a powerful villain lose to just mm? thats like darkseid losing to superman so then despero is a jobber.

#11 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@SHARKBEARAGATOR: yeah but fighting hal dont mean that mongul is a hal villain hes still supermans villain.

#12 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@jobbernos said:

when did mm fight despero? and how do a powerful villain lose to just mm? thats like darkseid losing to superman so then despero is a jobber.

i think you're severely underestimating J'onn. Anyway they've fought on several occasions (such as Despero's very first appearence in JLA#1

heres a link to a more detailed account of their relationship

http://idol-head.blogspot.com/2010/08/despero-fifth-most-important-martian.html

http://idol-head.blogspot.com/2009/12/whos-who-volvi-despero-august-1985.html

#13 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: no its just that a powerful villain that was created for the jl to fight together gets taken down by one person? like come on then what was the use of making him a jl villain in the first place? thats like making anti-monitor become cyborgs villain and having cyborg beat him.

#14 Posted by SHARKBEARAGATOR (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@jobbernos said:

He's fought Despero before he's rarely ever won, He's won once due to plot device. Second off I would not have him fight Despero physically and win in fact quite the opposite, just thwart his plans after a hard fought battle and Despero leave to make a new plan for another day, with Jonn at the end of it a physical mess and under great fatigue.

@jobbernos: He's not restricted to a certain person no villain is just because he mostly fights Superman yes but he can fight others to.

#15 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@SHARKBEARAGATOR: why not just make a new villain for mm? and keep despero as a villain for the jl? if all these characters start taking the jl villains then whats the use of the jl having a hard time fighting all these big bad villains when one person can do it solo.

#16 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: no its just that a powerful villain that was created for the jl to fight together gets taken down by one person? like come on then what was the use of making him a jl villain in the first place? thats like making anti-monitor become cyborgs villain and having cyborg beat him.

he wasn't all that powerful in his earlier appearances. his monstrous form and enhanced powers are results of being submerged in the flame of pytar if im not mistaken.

#17 Posted by SHARKBEARAGATOR (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos: Didn't you read my original comment I would make my own villains with some premaid ones for good measure ,

5. My own created ones as for main premade ones Despero, Mongul, Yellow & Red Lanterns, Malefic

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@SHARKBEARAGATOR: why not just make a new villain for mm? and keep despero as a villain for the jl? if all these characters start taking the jl villains then whats the use of the jl having a hard time fighting all these big bad villains when one person can do it solo.

how does one character who already has a substantial history mean that "all these characters are going to do it". let the guy have his ideas. its not like he's an actual comic book writer.

#19 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: cause in the cyborg thread people were saying make darkseid cyborgs villain.

#20 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: cause in the cyborg thread people were saying make darkseid cyborgs villain.

if you're talking about one of the Superdork/Outlaw Renegade/Captain13 Cyborg threads, i think you might be misinterpreting what they meant. They were suggesting that the connection between Cyborg and Apokolips and its inhabitants be explored which makes sense because Cyborg is a result of Apokiliptian tech.

#21 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.