Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3662 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Martian Manhunter: The Hardest Man to Write About?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kallarkz
    All of us know the big green man from Mars who was one of the founding members of the J.L.A.

I was wondering in recent days way M.M was unable to hold his own run for as long as characters such as Batman, Flash, GL, WW or even get more mini-series like Aquaman.
    Martian Manhunter has a very interesting past and origin story. A series about him could be based upon his time on Mars pre his teleportation to Earth or even stories about his investigations like his original series was based upon.

I've talked with others before and they stated that M.M seemed too much like a green Superman. But I see various differences in their story. Like how their people were killed, their power set, their reasons for remaining on Earth, One key fact factor to M.M that I find interesting is based upon a comment he told Superman during his "Others Among Us Run". He told Superman that they are more alike than he knows but the difference is that Superman looks like a human while humans usually fear M.M and do not trust him because of how he looks.

Was wondering if users from the Vine could shed some light on either why M.M's popularity didn't reach Flash, GL, B.M. WW or S.M levels or why they believe he should receive a chance now to shine.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think Martian Manhunter is just too alien. Like you said Superman looks like a white human male, while MM can appear that way Clark was also raised on Earth while J'onn came to Earth as an adult. I don't think a lot of comic readers can really associate with him. Sure he's an outsider experiencing Earth but so is Wonder Woman really and she's at least got the whole leaving home and her mother to discover the world. J'onn was just accidentally brought here. Flash is a man who gets powers in an accident, Green Lantern is given a powerful weapon....much more relatable than J'onn's origin.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula

Between Him and Superman. If you make a successful story for either of them, you know you have what it takes to be a writer.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kallarkz
    @PrinceIMC said:
    I think Martian Manhunter is just too alien. Like you said Superman looks like a white human male, while MM can appear that way Clark was also raised on Earth while J'onn came to Earth as an adult. I don't think a lot of comic readers can really associate with him. Sure he's an outsider experiencing Earth but so is Wonder Woman really and she's at least got the whole leaving home and her mother to discover the world. J'onn was just accidentally brought here. Flash is a man who gets powers in an accident, Green Lantern is given a powerful weapon....much more relatable than J'onn's origin.
    Well...I tend to focus more on the way he stayed more than how exactly he arrived.
    Theres more alien life out there in the Universe and he certainly has the powers to get to those other places.
    But he stays on a planet where he knows people fear him for how he looks because he wants to help them and believes that one day they will change.
    Gregorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gregorski

I suppose it doesn't help that he's as easily relatable. I always thought characters like Zauriel would have been interesting to read about but the fact that he's never been human and has powers and a back story that noone can relate to make it difficult to read up on. That being said, MM is one of my all time favourite characters and I've picked up previous short series' based on him. And I think they've been outstanding on occasion.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kallarkz
    more than surprising that DC has not mentioned anything at all about this character. He has contributed so much to the DC Universe and this would be a perfect time to remake his character and probably tweak his origin. I know some people can't seem to connect with the whole teleported to Earth concept. 

Keep M.M DC
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

Hardest Martian. Plus then he could always go intangible. Uh...  

I always though Martian Manhunter could be written like a really interesting mix between Silver Surfer, Superman, and Professor X. He is my favorite male DC character, but yeah, I feel he is underutilized. I think he just needs a passionate about him writer to champion him! Interesting what will happen to him in months to come. 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By JonesDeini
    @SC:  
    Bingo, I don't think any character's impossible or that difficult to write, especially when you're passionate about them. I think Johns/Tomasi did a very solid job of working with him during Brightest Day. Just wish they ha'd dedicated more time to him. I would very much so pick up a new Manhunter title. 
    Sylver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Sylver
    @SC said:
    Hardest Martian. Plus then he could always go intangible. Uh...   I always though Martian Manhunter could be written like a really interesting mix between Silver Surfer, Superman, and Professor X. He is my favorite male DC character, but yeah, I feel he is underutilized. I think he just needs a passionate about him writer to champion him! Interesting what will happen to him in months to come. 
    I agree entirely :-)
    I adore this character.  He's got a very deep story behind him, one with more feeling than even Superman's.  A writer who really really wants to put MM into the spotlight should take him on, make the story very insightful, especially into his thought life.  Sure, we know MM's powerful as all get out, but I think it would help people who aren't as into him to know him more personally.
    Gosh I hope they get him right in the JLA movie (whenever they make it); he's freakin' cool :-)
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kallarkz

MARTIAN MANHUNTER LIVES! 

Stormwatch #1 
    (Who is the guy to the to Apollos right?)

MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MutenRoshi

He just needs a good writer that is all

mlj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mlj

Personally, I think Martian Manhunter is a great character to write, seeing how he's got a lot of pathos and angst one can explore, and while it's easy for some to classify him as another Superman, I think he's very different from The Man of Steel. I think with a good story, MM could really shine as a title character.  
    http://jonnjonzzjohnjones.tumblr.com/

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Mega_spidey01

he  my favorite justice league character besides wally west. they could give him a great solo explore his past and present and what means to be an outsider looking through the glass wondering why humans are the way they are and falls in love with a human woman. 

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Hyperlight

@PrinceIMC said:

to be honest. I think MM's plight was much more relatable than Supes because MM actually had a life before earth. Spuerman never knew krypton... nor what its like to be on krypton. He cant miss krypton because he never had it. the only way supes is relatable because he is looks like a human white male but im pretty sure MM was on earth longer than Supes

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Hyperlight said:

@PrinceIMC said:

to be honest. I think MM's plight was much more relatable than Supes because MM actually had a life before earth. Spuerman never knew krypton... nor what its like to be on krypton. He cant miss krypton because he never had it. the only way supes is relatable because he is looks like a human white male but im pretty sure MM was on earth longer than Supes

yup. since before Clark was born

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because no one at DC cares to go back and use MM's supporting characters or villains. If Johns did the same thing on Brightest Day: MM like he is doing now with Cyborg and Aquaman he would be at a much better place.

Also DC gave Cyborg new logo, when MM also should have gotten one too! And people stop mistaking the X as his symbol, its the pi circle.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Because no one at DC cares to go back and use MM's supporting characters or villains. If Johns did the same thing on Brightest Day: MM like he is doing now with Cyborg and Aquaman he would be at a much better place.

this.

Also DC gave Cyborg new logo, when MM also should have gotten one too! And people stop mistaking the X as his symbol, its the pi circle.

technically DC gave him a new one pre reboot but it didnt stick, so they used a color swapped version of his kuru pendant.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I think the problem is that no one has a imagination. I mean so many complain he is hard to write or hard to relate to because he doesn't act like a human or has so many powered. All you need is a great imagination and realize these are comic books and not all characters in comics are humans. Me personally would run and buy a book about MM the day it is released on shelfs like I usually do for Batman. He is my all time favorite member of the JL along with Batman and Barry Allen.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe reboot as the Mexican Manhunter : Juan Juarez ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.