Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3662 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Martian Manhunter #4 Preview

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

So this is where the Martian Man-Eater comes in? Williams sure is bringing in some weird characters to this series.

Ravager1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So he has been at 1/5 of his power this entire time. Incredible.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Looks good, I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying a comic I wasn't even looking forward to.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

So this is where the Martian Man-Eater comes in? Williams sure is bringing in some weird characters to this series.

It was introduced in the previous issue.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Ah yes must have slipped my mind, he did appear last issue. We'll get to know more about him this issue I imagine.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

The number of characters we can handle it's the change in J'onn origins that's worrying me.

You know and we had a discussion about the Superman vs Martian Manhunter. But now this is getting ridiculous.

Not only J'onn isn't the last martian, which was cool, when it was only him, Miss Martian, and the white martians trapped in that prison placed in hyperspace.

But now we got green, white and red martians. And to make it even worst the reds look like Atrocitus knock-offs. They even use blood magic for crysakes. How unoriginal could the writers be!?

And talk about J'onn being overpowered. So he desintegrates himself, but he's left behind "backup copies" of himself. I mean... What more is DC gonna add to J'onn powerset?? Resurrection? Time travel? Quantum speed? Reality control?... This is getting out of hand.

And to make this worst, it seems fire doesn't pack the punch it did in the pre-N52, to every martian, not just J'onn.

So extremely powerful characters, with powers that seem to have no end, essentially no weaknesses, oh!... and now we can add magic to the set.

And they only want to conquer Earth?! If I was a Martian I'd set my sights higher and take over the entire universe first, and the higher dimensions second. Kill off all the gods and rule supreme over the universe.

And BAM! the end of DC Comics.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

The number of characters we can handle it's the change in J'onn origins that's worrying me.

You know and we had a discussion about the Superman vs Martian Manhunter. But now this is getting ridiculous.

Not only J'onn isn't the last martian, which was cool, when it was only him, Miss Martian, and the white martians trapped in that prison placed in hyperspace.

But now we got green, white and red martians. And to make it even worst the reds look like Atrocitus knock-offs. They even use blood magic for crysakes. How unoriginal could the writers be!?

And talk about J'onn being overpowered. So he desintegrates himself, but he's left behind "backup copies" of himself. I mean... What more is DC gonna add to J'onn powerset?? Resurrection? Time travel? Quantum speed? Reality control?... This is getting out of hand.

And to make this worst, it seems fire doesn't pack the punch it did in the pre-N52, to every martian, not just J'onn.

So extremely powerful characters, with powers that seem to have no end, essentially no weaknesses, oh!... and now we can add magic to the set.

And they only want to conquer Earth?! If I was a Martian I'd set my sights higher and take over the entire universe first, and the higher dimensions second. Kill off all the gods and rule supreme over the universe.

i completely agree unfortunately this is a time where DC comics are ruled by idiotic monkeys, who think they're being original by making stupid dissuasions, and it isn't just j'onn either all DC's characters are suffering, i just prey none of this rubs off on the cinematic universe, that has problems of its own

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: It was fairly obvious that these other characters would turn out to be J'onn's back ups though, that was a twist fans could see coming a mile away. It was still a good twist though, just predictable. As for the other Martians, that did come out of left field and does detract away from J'onn's lonely yet compassionate personality. But as Dondave told me on another thread in these same boards, perhaps this character shouldn't be exactly the same as his Pre New 52 incarnation. Moreover, this does differentiate him from Superman's position as the Last Son of Krypton even with all the potential drawbacks.

You of all people complaining about a character being overpowered is still strange to read, as your posts have you wanting Superman to learn how to use telekinesis and telepathy of his own. It does sound like you're annoyed that Martian Manhunter got there first before the writers made Superman have these powers in his comic book powerset permanently. You know the powers you've listed aren't going to be part of J'onn's abilities anytime soon, this isn't DBZ where punches can shake the universe and be felt on a planet billions of light years away (yep it's happened, DBZ is getting even more overpowered now)

But isn't a character overcoming their longstanding weakness what you've been wanting for Superman for some time? There hasn't been major complaints when Johns had the Green Lanterns capable of overcoming the longtime yellow weakness that Lanterns suffered from, and J'onn overcame his weakness to fire in the JLA arc Trial by Fire in the Pre New 52 canon.

I'll grant you that the Martians' goals are a little small, with everything they can do, they can conquer more than a single planet easily.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@heavenlydarkdragon: It was fairly obvious that these other characters would turn out to be J'onn's back ups though, that was a twist fans could see coming a mile away. It was still a good twist though, just predictable. As for the other Martians, that did come out of left field and does detract away from J'onn's lonely yet compassionate personality. But as Dondave told me on another thread in these same boards, perhaps this character shouldn't be exactly the same as his Pre New 52 incarnation. Moreover, this does differentiate him from Superman's position as the Last Son of Krypton even with all the potential drawbacks.

You of all people complaining about a character being overpowered is still strange to read, as your posts have you wanting Superman to learn how to use telekinesis and telepathy of his own. It does sound like you're annoyed that Martian Manhunter got there first before the writers made Superman have these powers in his comic book powerset permanently. You know the powers you've listed aren't going to be part of J'onn's abilities anytime soon, this isn't DBZ where punches can shake the universe and be felt on a planet billions of light years away (yep it's happened, DBZ is getting even more overpowered now)

But isn't a character overcoming their longstanding weakness what you've been wanting for Superman for some time? There hasn't been major complaints when Johns had the Green Lanterns capable of overcoming the longtime yellow weakness that Lanterns suffered from, and J'onn overcame his weakness to fire in the JLA arc Trial by Fire in the Pre New 52 canon.

I'll grant you that the Martians' goals are a little small, with everything they can do, they can conquer more than a single planet easily.

You see. This is where we always butt heads.

I search for middle grounds and you read it like I'm trying to go to extremes. Maybe it's how I express myself, who knows...

I do want Superman to reach his full potential, but not looking like a total knock-off. Just like speed will always be Barry thing, telepathy and telekinesis could be J'onn thing. After all he's had hundreds of millions of years to perfect his powers. While Superman is like what?? 29, 30 something years old?? I never expect him to be this unbeatable character, like J'onn has become.

J'onn can't even die. If that's not overdoing it and ruining Martian Manhunter at the same time, then I don't know what is.

I always liked J'onn presence in the past not because of his power but more because of his experience. He had lived through the best and worst times and still kept on fighting the good fight. And unlike Superman he didn't shy from getting his hands dirty.

Remember the Identity Crisis arc? Do you think for a moment that I believe that if Superman had telepathic powers he'd used them to manipulate minds, especially those of his friends, even if it was for the greater good. No. He'd never do it, while J'onn who's not as naive as Kal, would.

In many ways J'onn is the grown up version of Superman. He's had countless time to know what his path should be, while Superman has constant moral crisis.

And you have to agree, although this thing of J'onn not being the last martian might seem to distant himself from Superman, it fails completely. After all, Superman isn't exactly the last of his kind either. And bringing new martians in, especially one's that look like sons of Atrocitus also doesn't help. The whole thing about J'onn being the last of his kind never made sense either way. It's not like martians were powerless on Mars. So how were they basically wipedout... that was always the main point I could never wrap my head around it. And if DC wanted to make J'onn just one among many martians they could've at least created a better story.

And if all that J'onn can do wasn't already too much, now most likely we're gonna see him face off against his entire kind alone and win. And although the other martians called J'onn the "weapon" like DC is now hinting somehow J'onn was engineered to be this super-martian, either way they spin it, it will only serve to cement the idea that Martian Manhunter as become too much to handle.

I know fire was a stupid weakness to begin with. The same way Alan Scott weakness to wood was also stupid. And I always believed J'onn needed a more credible, and preferably not something like kryptonite that seems to grow on trees, weakness. Something from Mars and Mars alone, that was rare and hard to obtain.

Has for Superman you already know my point about his weaknesses. He has too many. And should be cut down to one and only one. Enough with the red sunlight, magic and psychics. It should be kryptonite and kryptonite alone. Either his enemies needed to be as powerful as him or kryptonite would be the only way to bring him down, if used correctly. I wouldn't want Clark from Smallville to return. That a person would place a piece of kryptonite on his chest and he couldn't lift a finger to throw it away. That was so dumb it even pains me to remember those moments.

Superman future is already so uncertain at this point, that trashing Martian Manhunter also, would seem like DC is trying to run 100 miles a hour against a brick wall.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xargo said:
    @heavenlydarkdragon said:

@lvenger:

i completely agree unfortunately this is a time where DC comics are ruled by idiotic monkeys, who think they're being original by making stupid dissuasions, and it isn't just j'onn either all DC's characters are suffering, i just prey none of this rubs off on the cinematic universe, that has problems of its own

Couldn't have said better myself. DC is... well... Hell if they know.

It would be logic to assume that decades of experience would've taught them what works and what doesn't work, better than anyone even the fans. But the facts show otherwise.

Here in the Vine I've come across fellow members that should be writing comics. They're creative. Can think outside the box, and still keep things even scientifically credible to a certain degree and the best part, they're not afraid of change. Because there's always ways to improve without having to sacrifice almost everything about a character.

And Martian Manhunter has been suffering the same fate lately.

It's also true that I never wanted him have his own comics if he was not at least more limited in terms of powers and power level. But the exact opposite happened. Now he's so powerful... I don't even recognize him anymore. And at this point I'm not even sure anyone, even J'onn long time fans can say with absolute certainty what he can and can't do. Emphasis on "can". Because "can't" doesn't seem to fit in his dictionary. Not anymore. And that kills any character. Or at least makes him so hard to believe and relate that a reader has to talk himself to read the comic with the hope of trying to see some good come out of all of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.