Is Martian Manhunter unbeatable when it comes to TP ?

Edited 11 months, 8 days ago

Is Martian Manhunter unbeatable when it comes to TP ? (49 votes)

Yes. 31%
No. 69%

Well,

I am personally interested in Martian Manhuter for a long time. Up to today, I have always been convinced that in the Comics (all combined) Proffessor X was the most powerful telepath. Then I came across MartianManhuter. I inquired about the Wikia, the Forum, and in any battle in which he was involved, and I quote, "Martian Manhunter Solo", he could even beat Batman with prep time, and crushed Superman (I was quite impressed since Superman is suppose to stomp everyone).

I learned that once controlled mentally all the League, and so on ...

I have a few questions:

- So, are his telepathic powers that powerful, or the Forum is overestimated (and a lot)?

- Who could compete (in terms of telepathy) with him?

- Can anyone in the Justice League handle his power, or they really all been manipulated ?

- Power level, on a scale of 1 to 10, where would you place him?

Thanks !

#1 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2100 posts) - - Show Bio

there is this man

charles xavier could probably beat him telepathacly

#2 Posted by matchesmalone21 (7639 posts) - - Show Bio

@arkhamc1tizen: Charles Xavier can be a great challenge,but Martian Manhunter was capable to match with abstractal beings as Trans in imaginary realm(read JLA/Spectre:Soul War),Doctor Destiny in dream realm.

#3 Edited by deaditegonzo (3377 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the thing about comparing Xavier to Martian Manhunter, regardless who would win telepathically, MM has more than one trick up his sleeve, X does not. If MM met Xavier, he could just blitz him before X has the chance to even thin, and leave, the most powerful Telepath left. Thats why Manhunter is so beast, he has ALL the powers.

#4 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My impression is Wonder Woman can beat Superman and Martian Manhunter.

#5 Edited by BlackWind (4031 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells The OP is asking about in telepathy, not an actual fight.

#6 Edited by marvel123 (358 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: is the phoenix of the white crown on your list of powerful telepaths

@colonyofcells: it's mother's day............................sure why not

I prefer the martian's telekinetic abilities to tp, they can do everything kryptonians can do and more. in a way i'm glad that MM and superman are not on the same JL team, MM has been in the shadow of superman for far too long. dc has equipped the martians with a plethora of awesome abilities, yet they have to essentially be undermined so they don't surpass superman's abilities.

#7 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe dc's main telepath is Adam Blake Captain Comet. Jemm is about the equal of Martian Manhunter. Hector Hammond is pretty powerful also and most of the telepaths are in a Superman story arc. Psimon, Grodd, Despero, Brainwave, Saturn Girl, Tellus are also pretty powerful.

#8 Posted by Alak (868 posts) - - Show Bio

Correct if I'm wrong, but I think Darkseid and Despero are supposed to be superior to MMH in regards to telepathy.

#9 Posted by deaditegonzo (3377 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvel123: Eh, I never consider cosmic or abstract entities when comparing heroes.

#10 Posted by matchesmalone21 (7639 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: Captain Comet never was a top telepath,yes he's powerful but not at MM level.

#11 Posted by Squalleon (3005 posts) - - Show Bio

Despero is more powerfull than MM in telepathy.

#12 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
woop woop woop

#13 Posted by Veshark (8522 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought that Despero was stronger in terms of TP, since Aquaman and Martian Manhunter had to unite their TP powers against him.

#14 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

No heroic character can be "unbeatable" in anything, or else there's no conflict.

#15 Edited by Killemall (16961 posts) - - Show Bio

We have Despero and Starro in DC.

And no Prof X isnt the most powerful telepath in marvel comics, that would either be an extremely powerful Phoenix host, given what they represent or we have The Others.

That not including hax combination like an expert user getting hold of mind gem (and/ or power gem together, that would be insane TP powers)

#16 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11727 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by spiderbuck (2406 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Extremos (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@avenging_x_bolt said:
@squalleon said:

this.

Word. I have a book where Despero leaves MM withing on the floor drooling.

Haha, you people broke all the "dreams" there were around him & his credibility.

So, Despero is more powerful physicaly or with TP ?

#19 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (4927 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Professor X can beat him.

#20 Edited by Bruxae (9366 posts) - - Show Bio

I second Despero, not to mention his physical strength is superior aswell.

#21 Edited by Outside_85 (7107 posts) - - Show Bio

Despero is the more powerful telepath, and he happens to be as physically powerful (since he is considered a 'team buster'), he just doesn't have all the fancy shapshifting, martian vision and molecular control that MM does. Out of everyone in the League, you'd need a fire wielder of somekind since J'onn used to be absolutely terrified of fire.

The thing is that unlike Marvel, there isn't really such things as 'mental shields' like the ones Wolverine has been taught by the likes of Xavier, there are however techniques taught by various psychics that makes it more difficult for telepaths and such to get a proper foothold in the targets mind. Like during Blackest Night, Superboy had to fight his own corpse within the Fortress of Solitude while it's Black Lantern Ring was trying to get into his head as well (or it could have latched onto him, not sure) but Wonder Girl was reminding him of the lessons Raven had given in him in order to evade the Rings control (presumably it was based on Raven's own need to keep Trigon out of her own mind).

#22 Posted by Squalleon (3005 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremos said:
@spiderbuck said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:
@squalleon said:

this.

Haha, you people broke all the "dreams" there were around him & his credibility.

Both.Despero is THE team buster

#23 Edited by spiderbuck (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremos said:
@spiderbuck said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:
@squalleon said:

this.

LOL. I can't even understand how people could think he's unbeatable with TP, as one of every four posters apparently do. Crazy.

And to answer your question .... .both.

#24 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11727 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremos said:
@spiderbuck said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:
@squalleon said:

this.

LOL. I can't even understand how people could think he's unbeatable with TP, as one of every four posters apparently do. Crazy.

this. MM is probably the best tp DC earth has but Despero is better.

#25 Posted by Mr_Winchester (638 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbuck said:

@extremos said:
@spiderbuck said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:
@squalleon said:

this.

this. MM is probably the best tp DC earth has but Despero is better.

Agreed.

#26 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremos said:
@spiderbuck said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:
@squalleon said:

this.

Both.Despero is THE team buster

This

#27 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps MoonDragon!

#28 Posted by ComicStooge (9687 posts) - - Show Bio

Despero has left J'onn a vegetable at least once.

#29 Edited by matchesmalone21 (7639 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: The same with Despero,when J'onn use Mavayanna on him

#30 Edited by SUNMAN (6926 posts) - - Show Bio

After what he did in Justice LEague #20 he sure is

#31 Edited by matchesmalone21 (7639 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman: Not yet,since he doesn't have many telepathic feats and he kinda the only one New 52's telepath by now.

#32 Edited by SUNMAN (6926 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Read Justice League #20

MM destroys Despero. Cementing himself as the top Telepath in DC. He is a lot stronger than he was pre-Flashpoint

#33 Edited by matchesmalone21 (7639 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman: I read it twice in this morning and already have scans,thanks. Defeating him means nothing,Despero not even has feats to compare,this is J'onn first telepathic battle and Pre-Flashpoint version already faced abstractal beings,gods....

#34 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman: Despero got whooped by starro, who would give MM a good challenge

#35 Posted by BlackWind (4031 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Despero as strong as he was before the reboot?

#36 Posted by SUNMAN (6926 posts) - - Show Bio

strong enough to casually dismiss Firestorm and Element Woman without any effort

#37 Edited by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk if Charles could beat him I mean Deadpool made Charles brain dead!

In Deadpool kills the Marvel universe

#38 Posted by matchesmalone21 (7639 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: Not yet,Despero only strength's feats are break the Watchtower,break a Titanium door and being hit by missiles like it was nothing. Elemental Woman and Firestorm are still mere inexperienced heroes and even not strong as Aquaman or Cyborg,their powers are more limited to matter manipulation,they are not a threat to him.

#39 Posted by ComicStooge (9687 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: The same with Despero,when J'onn use Mavayanna on him

That was a plot device that could only be used once.

#40 Edited by Dernman (14003 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the Despero scene was dumb. I don't mind him being brought down to being a single leaguer threat but to be taken out so easy is just wrong. It would have been nice if they made him MM's archnemesis and equals. Despero should be a little bit better to compete with MM intangibility. Plus with his mental powers having to do something with the Flame of Py'tar they could work that into MM's old psychological fear.

#41 Posted by Extremos (51 posts) - - Show Bio

So, since the reboot, MM has become more powerful than Despero ?

#42 Posted by Bogey (929 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I thought the Despero scene was dumb. I don't mind him being brought down to being a single leaguer threat but to be taken out so easy is just wrong. It would have been nice if they made him MM's archnemesis and equals. Despero should be a little bit better to compete with MM intangibility.

I can definitely see how you would think that but Despero did use a mental attack on Martian Manhunter that left him exposed for a counter attack. You can't mess with MM's emotions.

#43 Posted by Dernman (14003 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:

@dernman said:

I thought the Despero scene was dumb. I don't mind him being brought down to being a single leaguer threat but to be taken out so easy is just wrong. It would have been nice if they made him MM's archnemesis and equals. Despero should be a little bit better to compete with MM intangibility.

I can definitely see how you would think that but Despero did use a mental attack on Martian Manhunter that left him exposed for a counter attack. You can't mess with MM's emotions.

Why would that matter when in the past Despero has been shown to be greater mind control power. In pre52 first showing he took control of the entire league including MM at the same time. If someone should be worried with them being exposed to eachother mentally it would be MM unless they downgraded Despero.

#44 Posted by Bogey (929 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@bogey said:

@dernman said:

Why would that matter when in the past Despero has been shown to be greater mind control power. In pre52 first showing he took control of the entire league including MM at the same time. If someone should be worried with them being exposed to eachother mentally it would be MM unless they downgraded Despero.

I think you just answered your own question. It's the New 52 and also MM isn't part of the league, he's on Waller's team which removes the accountability for his actions.

#45 Posted by Alak (868 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless of what Despero's power levels are in comparison to his older self, that battle between J'onn and Despero was a pretty solid statement. Martian Manhunter currently stands as the most powerful telepath in the known New 52 universe. We haven't seen him go against the likes of new gods, but Despero is considered as a top-tier psychic villain (based off prior reputation, of course). I still think Darkseid would give MMH a rough time, but as of right now we have enough evidence to say that New 52 J'onn is currently uncontested.

#46 Edited by ImNemotheGemini (843 posts) - - Show Bio

Charles Xavier could have ended the whole AvX conflict himself when he shut down everyones mind battling at the time. Even against an amped Emma Frost whose maybe a step or two below charles. I see MM and Charles more on even footing in the feats department.. But to piggy back on everyone else... Pre-flashpoint Desparo >>>>>> MM... New 52 though.. idk.

#47 Posted by Dernman (14003 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:

@dernman said:

@bogey said:

@dernman said:

I think you just answered your own question. It's the New 52 and also MM isn't part of the league, he's on Waller's team which removes the accountability for his actions.

Of course I answered the question. It's the one I gave in my first post when I said he was brought down to single leaguer status but was dumb that MM could just walk over him now. Before in the pre 52 he had the power to take on the entire league with MM included. Now he is nowhere even MM match. Also the explanation MM gave for facing him before post 52 not being able to take him because he was following JL rules were dumb. There was nothing MM did that to take him down that they wouldn't be ok with. That second part of what you said I don't even know why you're mentioning that or what it's referring too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.