Favorite Martian Manhunter look

#1 Edited by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Somebody (I'm not yet comicvine savvy enough to figure out who, if that's even possible) keeps changing the main profile image to one of the covers from his One Year Later mini series, no matter how many times I change it to something current.

So this begs the question: What's your favorite Martian Manhunter look?

I'm partial to the high, folded collar classic, preferably with the gold clasps, and the New 52 one is pretty cool too.

The folded collar look is best exemplified by Adam Hughes during the Breakdowns storyline in the JLI era, and Tom Mandrake's take in the ongoing series.

I like the regal cape over the "Conan the Barbarian" vibe underneath; echoes the duality of the character nicely.

I think the new one has that too, with the bare arms and chest, but the warrior-monk thing going on from the waist down.

I'd swear the initial drawings has looser pants, in an almost middle eastern style, but everyone currently seems to like drawing tight pants (or, on the issue 12 solicits, no pants ;p). At least they aren't giving him erroneous gold armbands; that seemed to happen all the time in the nineties.

I've little problem with the One Year Later look, and thought it looked particularly badass in his short lived Batman and the Outsiders appearances. It is just a little silly to me for the main image of a character to be a decidedly less than popular, six-year-old costume, when there have been two new costumes since, four if you count Black and White Lantern costumes, and that miniseries began the most recent nadir in his history. I suppose it was the basis for his most recent animated appearances, and in some ways the harbinger of the New 52 looks for the res of the JLA, but I still can't get behind it.

What are your favorite looks?

#2 Posted by The_Tree (7079 posts) - - Show Bio

The new one is my favorite, especially because of the chest piece and the ridges on the side of his head.

#3 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57707 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

#5 Posted by TDK_1997 (14452 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12424 posts) - - Show Bio

The new 52 version is my fave.

#7 Posted by Onemoreposter (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta go classic

The DCnU look actually isn't to bad but I absolutely cannot stand this "everyone must have a high collar" nonsense. I want Supes back with the lowcut and martain with the tricked out collar.

#8 Edited by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

A couple of shot's of (albeit wordless) love for OYL J'onn... That image in particular is pretty great.

If the writing on that series were halfways coherent we might still have something along those lines; I still feel it strayed a little far from his pulp sci-fi roots, but wouldn't look out of place in more modern sci-fi like Battlestar Galactica.

Also, I love J'onn exploring Earth culture; just flippin' wonderful.

#9 Posted by MAGIC_HORSE (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the new 52 look, reading JL I thought he looked badass and mahoosive in his new get-up!

#10 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, that double page spread is this stuff.

#11 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

The new 52 version is my fave.
#12 Edited by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

I never really found his costume all that iconic or special, so the New 52 one seems fine to me. What I do really like is that his head is oddly shaped, it makes him seem more alien.

#13 Posted by sunhawk (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueArrow said:

I never really found his costume all that iconic or special, so the New 52 one seems fine to me. What I do really like is that his head is oddly shaped, it makes him seem more alien.

can batman buy catwoman a working zipper??

MM DCaU look is fine

#14 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason I cannot load images here, but I like the Young Justice version best, honestly. Behind that, the new 52 attire. Classic has too much skin for my taste.

#15 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the original and New 52 the most. I found the original iconic and how his creators envisioned him . The New 52 looks like something that will really stick for a long while.

#16 Posted by Juke (154 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as his head isn't a vertical football, I enjoy his design.

#17 Posted by FlashKnight (448 posts) - - Show Bio

@juke said:

As long as his head isn't a vertical football, I enjoy his design.

Same. I hate the one from the 2008 miniseries. If I had to pick a favorite I'd probably go New 52.

#18 Posted by TommyJones1945 (739 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 and this one:

#19 Posted by JetiiMitra (8084 posts) - - Show Bio

One of his best looks to date.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.