Does Martian manhunter need a power reductiion?

• 58 results
#51 Posted by ComicStooge (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

No. MM deserves to be counted as roughly Superman's equal. He's always deserved it and was often denied it.

This.

#52 Posted by CaptnMcDeadpool (960 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so. J'onn's is written with an "inherent power reduction" that can be manipulated by any writer. He's a pacifist at heart.

So, no...I don't think he needs a power reduction.

#53 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13130 posts) - - Show Bio

I will accept a power reduction If and only if they return J'onn to his previous characterization (wise,shamanistic, badass elder with boundless compassion) yet still have him maintain a more active superhero role.

#54 Posted by World_Breaker_Elmo (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always seen the manhunter as a walking plot device for writers who find themselves unable to come up with an interesting climax or resolution.

"How can this new baddie be stopped?"

"Uhhhh.....Just have the Manhunter fly in and zap it with some new skill?"

"Good enough for me."

#55 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13130 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always seen the manhunter as a walking plot device for writers who find themselves unable to come up with an interesting climax or resolution.

"How can this new baddie be stopped?"

"Uhhhh.....Just have the Manhunter fly in and zap it with some new skill?"

"Good enough for me."

no. that would be Batman.

#56 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Just have Martian Manhunter's powers be shapeshifting, flight, super strength, telepathy, and telekinesis. That gives him a unique moveset.

#57 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13130 posts) - - Show Bio

Just have Martian Manhunter's powers be shapeshifting, flight, super strength, telepathy, and telekinesis. That gives him a unique moveset.

i could accept this if we could get a semblance of the old J'onn back.

#58 Posted by Dernman (15077 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I think it would be a great idea. Reduce the Superman type powers but keep the non superman type powers.

Doing that he would still be powerful and on par with Superman.

#59 Edited by esquire415 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally agree with deadpool's comments while nerx was just acting as devil's advocate. How is the Martian race so INNATELY powerful (Superman-like and then some) compared to the Earthlings when they are just neighbors in the same galaxy? His storyline should have made him a superMartian because of circumstance just like what happened to Kal El when he came to Earth (Kryptons do not have innate superpowers). And speaking of neighboring planets, Superman is also an extra-terrestrial but million light years away from Earth yet he looks exactly human compared to Manhunter. Even writers were confused as to what powers Manhunter should possess so they just came up with with a hodge-podge of mish-mashed powers that they can think of as they see convenient (i.e. good thing I have x-ray vision so I can see what they are doing through these walls).

I agree that it seems like they just suddenly give him powers as they go along with his storyline with no explanation as to how he got these powers (but I guess being from Mars means no need for an explanation, just make up anything and that we just agree that they are a super race), sort of like a 10yo make believe wish fulfillment as deapool said. Back in the mid-50s they seemed to have that juvenile mentality with his storyline. Reminds me when I was a kid playing superhero fights with other kids where we come up with a variety of made-up superpowers as we went along fighting each other, LOL! The Manhunter name is not even clear to many but it is understood by only a few that it is the literal translation of bounty hunter or police officer, his profession in Mars (doesn't make sense to call him "Man"Hunter when there are no humans in Mars).

http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2011/05/martian-manhunter.html

This arbitrary powers is probably why Manhunter is an unpopular superhero and a bit character compared to other primary members of JLA. Writers didn't seem to have an idea of what to make of him with his many inconsistencies (most notable is the fire weakness yet he has heat vision and his powers supposedly coming from Mars' rays....what rays?). When they formed JLA, they wanted a member that possesses unique superpowers like morphing, mind control and intangibility so they included Manhunter (Wonder Woman has telekinesis and telepathy but not as strong; Flash can also go through walls but not as efficient).

DC need to reboot his character and re-define his unique powers to make it consistent. This will make him more interesting. No need to replicate Superman with identical powers like super strength, heat vision, x-ray vision, super breath, invulnerability, microscopic/telescopic vision, and super speed. Take away his randomly added ambiguous powers like psionic blasts, regeneration, and sonic scream which don't make sense. The shape-shifting and phasing ability are cool powers already for him to have as natural to Martians which he controls using his psionic abilities which can also make him levitate (defying gravity) and also become invisible (by controlling his own molecules), controlling other minds and have extra sensory perception. I like the idea that he can't use his powers when he is invisible (perhaps because it takes too much energy to do so) or perhaps he can become invisible by controlling other people's minds but can only focus on one ability at a time. It is therefore logical that Martians are capable of using close to 100% of their brain to have this psionic power (humans only use 1/8th). Of course because of his profession in Mars, he was trained to enhance and perfect these abilities (not necessarily a mutant Martian getting his powers from some inexistent rays from Mars). Manhunter having too many powers (when we already have Superman and when a more popular Aquaman already looked so underpowered and useless) was probably one of the big reasons why he was replaced by Cyborg in New 52 and the future movie release of JLA.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.