#1 Posted by BIackFlash (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

Too much jobbing IMO

He's supposed to be a brick, a swiss army knife

Are DC using him as a tomato can? 

Manhunter can be beat by a psycho nobody with no telepathic feats

#2 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer: an unequivocal yes.

#3 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

The long answer:  I didn't at first get your reference, only having a cursory knowledge of professional wrestling, so I searched the Urban Dictionary for some clues to you're meaning.  It was a couple pages in before I found the correct connotation, but I had a few musings on some of the other definitions in regards to the Manhunter from Mars... 

Job: a thing that takes up much of our lives and sends a message to everyone that life sucks. I was pretty sure this wasn't your intended meaning, but I find it oddly appropriate in an existential sort of way.  Seriously one of the reasons I like this character so much, he's a capable, intelligent, and popular (as in, with his friends) loser.

Job: A futile effort for financial independence, social acceptance and personal happiness. Ditto.  MM is always among the first to be shuffled off a team or title when a new writer comes along.  Often only given footnotes by creators that do appreciate him.

Job: Means by which at least 30% of your life is stolen from you to enrich the owners of a company making useless shit that some other poor idiot in a job will buy. This is where I started to get your meaning, which I totally agree with.  He's far too often been used by hacks like Jeph Loeb (well most of the time I find him to be hacky) and lesser writers like Jurgens (those Doomsday/brainiac issues were cool, but did he really have to beat the JLA so easily?) to make Superman tough, and/or Doomsday dangerous, etc.  which really doesn't.  They're tough on their own merits.  As a consequence, he became a joke in many circles and is now in the cycle of revamp, death, and rebirth.

Job:   The act of volunteering to be abused on a daily basis for barely enough money to pay your rent. I find it criminal that he is immediately sidelined for the majority of crossovers, when he should be mixing it up with the best of them.  He's not going to gain popularity without positive exposure.

Job: Something I have to do to pay my bills, but seems impossible to do without some horrible physical or emotional consequence.  He's taken a lick' and keeps on kickin', but I'll be damned if there hasn't been emotional consequences.

Job: to lose to someone in professional wrestling upon request or demand.
Hogan made every wrestler job to him, to make him look better. 

So here's the real definition, and an astute observation my friend.  He's jobbed for Superman and family more times than I can count, and to Doomsday twice. (The second time, Doomsday came up with some kind of flame breath out of nowhere, because Jeph Loeb is lazy.)  He is scripted as a loser is situations where, if he would not be an outright winner, he'd at least be a contender.  Geoff Johns recently treated him the best he's had in years in GL 44, where he gives a strongly written Flash and GL a run for their money, they only really survive by the skin of their teeth.  That is how confrontations should be written, especially hero on hero fights. 

Thank you for your indulgence.

#4 Posted by OhTru (1583 posts) - - Show Bio
@mathematicscore said:
"

So here's the real definition, and an astute observation my friend.  He's jobbed for Superman and family more times than I can count, and to Doomsday twice. (The second time, Doomsday came up with some kind of flame breath out of nowhere, because Jeph Loeb is lazy.)  He is scripted as a loser is situations where, if he would not be an outright winner, he'd at least be a contender.  Geoff Johns recently treated him the best he's had in years in GL 44, where he gives a strongly written Flash and GL a run for their money, they only really survive by the skin of their teeth.  That is how confrontations should be written, especially hero on hero fights. 

"
I wish DC gave Manhunter his own book, he might finally get some respect then
#5 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@OhTru said:
" @mathematicscore said:
"

"
I wish DC gave Manhunter his own book, he might finally get some respect then "
He had his own book.

Also, about those scans, everyone jobbed in the Supergirl book, and he did mentally own Black Adam in their second encounter.
#6 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom:
Good call on the Supergirl issue, I only just read it now, and again, it's Jeph Loeb being lazy.  Tear down some badasses, and you're a badass, right?  I like Supergirl, but Jeph can take that "job" and shove it.  He recently did it to frickin' Thor for Odin's sake! Thor!

#7 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin Force Thor jobbed out to the RedHulk

#8 Posted by Hyperlight (5734 posts) - - Show Bio

i would say most of the time MM fights someone he is jobbing... but its incredibly hard to write a credible story about a man that can do everything supes can do and also destroy you without even touching you. Hes so powerful and i love it. personally i think the comic industry hates on MM because he is so powerful and can overshadow supes. same reason they hate on majestros haha

#9 Edited by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio

@mathematicscore said:

Short answer: an unequivocal yes.

pretty much this. Just look at his abilities and strength and how he ends up losing.

This is how MM should be treated:

Battling the Martian Manhunter in Justice League 8

glad he is finally getting the respect he deserves in the DCnU.

He was originally part of the Justice League as a filler for Superman, cause DC was afraid of overusing him, but when they abandoned that notion and had super man on the team MM was essentially choped liver when his telepathy wasn't necessary for the plot. Outside of Morrison and maybe Darwyn Cooke no one else seems to handle MM well on the Justice League.

#10 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN: There are a few good JLA eras for him; Frank Delano of the MM fanblog "The Idol Head of Diabolu" enjoys the Detroit league. JLI was almost uniformly good for MM, at least until Dan Jurgens comes around. Justice League task force has J'onn in a starring role, particularly under Priest's pen. There's good stuff out there, and I'm guardedly hopeful about the new JLA book with him as the leader.

#11 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13011 posts) - - Show Bio

any version of Supergirl beating MM is unacceptable.

#12 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

In New 52, Martian Manhunter seems unbeatable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.