Archenemy

#1 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is Martian Manhunter's archenemy im not to familiar with him outside off smallville and JLU?    

#2 Posted by Jake Fury (19232 posts) - - Show Bio

His archenemies were the White Martians.
#3 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jake Fury: So he doesnt have a named archenemy like Superman has Lex and Batman has Joker?

#4 Posted by ComicMan24 (147047 posts) - - Show Bio
@ X: You could say the Human Flame but I don't know if he counts as one.
#5 Posted by Jake Fury (19232 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" @ X: You could say the Human Flame but I don't know if he counts as one. "

Good point. I guess you could say Libra as well.
#6 Posted by ComicMan24 (147047 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" @ComicMan24 said:
" @ X: You could say the Human Flame but I don't know if he counts as one. "
Good point. I guess you could say Libra as well. "
Perhaps.
#7 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither the white Martians, nor Libra nor Human flame are his archenemies. The closest thing perhaps would be his brother Ma'alefa'ak, but he's dead and all. Other than that, MM has no recurring villains who actually pose a physical, mental or ethical challenge to him.

#8 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, he's had a number of recurring enemies such as Faceless, leader of VULTURE in the silver age, Bel Juz in the Bronze age, and Malefic in the modern age. 
He's also had running rivalries with JLA villains Despero and Vandal Savage, as well as Batman villain Professor Hugo.   Oh, and New God of Apokalips Kanto was positioned as a major foe towards the end of the ongoing Martian Manhunter series. 

For great commentary on Martian Manhunter and his foes, check out idol-head.blogspot.com.  One of the best comics blogs out there and easily the most comprehensive Martian Manhunter site.

#9 Posted by Silver2467 (16387 posts) - - Show Bio

His arch enemies would include, Malefic, Fernus, White Martians, Kanto, Dr. Trapp, Despero, Darkseid, etc. 

#10 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio

im so confused 

#11 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467 said:
" His arch enemies would include, Malefic, Fernus, White Martians, Kanto, Dr. Trapp, Despero, Darkseid, etc.  "
Except few of those appear for more than one story, and those who do are not really tied primarily to him.

@ X said:
" im so confused  "
Suffice it to say he has no classic archenemy.
#12 Posted by Silver2467 (16387 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Silver2467 said:
" His arch enemies would include, Malefic, Fernus, White Martians, Kanto, Dr. Trapp, Despero, Darkseid, etc.  "
Except few of those appear for more than one story, and those who do are not really tied primarily to him.   
Makes no difference. They all have significance in his life. Malefic may not have appeared in many story arcs, but he and J'onn have been enemies for decades. Even before Malefic developed H'ronmeer's Curse, he was a convicted criminal for acts of mindrape. After the plague hit, the Martian thought he defeated him, only for him to resurface on earth years later and frame him and kill him. The Martian killed Malefic aboard Z'onn Z'orr by taking him to the sun. Suffice to say Malefic was a particularly important enemy. 

Fernus only appeared once, but it was born out of the Martian's consciousness. It has significance because he had to overcome Fernus in order to be released from the astral plane, clean up the damage Fernus has done, and to, more or less, bypass his weakness to fire. 

White Martians have been problems across the board. They were enemies to Green Martians on Mars, oppressed Saturnians, performed genetic experiments on humans centuries earlier, fought the JLA several times, had a role in the Others Among Us, etc.  

Kanto and the Martian have fought multiple times. Along with other Apokalitpian New Gods, he pretended to be a friend to the Martians. He had a role in the Martian's life for decades also, including his actions against the JSA and with the Martian and John Jones when they were split.

Dr. Trapp and the Martian have also been enemies for decades. They fought for years against one another until Trapp killed the Martian's fellows. They faced one another again later also.  

Despero has always been an enemy to the JLA, but he has always had a certain rivalry with the Martian, especially because of his use of Mayavanna.  

Darkseid has a larger role than people think. He has had a hand in some of Kanto's actions against the Martian, particularly enslaving the Green Martians before the plague and his dealings with the JSA and Stargirl, and he was also a god that Malefic followed.  

Not to mention, in Final Crisis: Requiem, when the Martian sent out a message of his life and death to his closest friends, he specifically referenced some of these enemies. 
#13 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467: An archenemy is an out of universe term for someone accepted to be a hero's greatest foe (and there can usually only be one archenemy). You can't have a metric ton of backstory but only one true appearance and claim to be an archenemy. If that was the case, Joe Chill would have been Batman's archenemy. He's arguably had more influence on him than anyone else. 

Malefic fits the bill more than anyone else, but again, he's dead, and has been so for what, like, ten years now? He had little time to show his AE status. 

I can name creatures by the dozen which have been born out of someone's consciousness, that doesn't make them archenemies either. Significance also doesn't equal archenemy. 

White Martians... I don't remember MM actually ever fighting them on his own, not as part of the league. And even when he did, they didn't seem to trouble him much. 

Kanto has warranted nothing to upgrade his status from recurring villain, and even so, he's part of a completely different, much larger mythos. 

I actually don't know who Dr. Trapp is, so IDK, he might fit the bill. But I think the very fact I don't who he is speaks in volumes. 

Despero never seemed to mind much about the Martian though. They just share a power. Despero hasn't been interested in the Manhunter in any story I've recently read about him. 

Darkseid is already taken. 

And again, referencing villains does not make them an archenemy, they just make him part of his rogues.
#14 Posted by Silver2467 (16387 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: Fair enough. Based on recurrence, White Martians or Malefic take it. Although, the specific White Martians have always changed. He has faced them on his own before, but they were not the ones that the JLA faced. To be fair though, White Martians in general are problems for Green Martians just because of how bloodlusted they are. Of course, there are two exceptions, one of them being M'gann, but otherwise, every White Martian thus far has been an opponent. 
#15 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio

on the Wikipedia it says   Malefic is his archenemy 

#16 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13673 posts) - - Show Bio
@ X:
his main archenemy is his brother malefic his secondary archnemesis is the human flame 

and he is pretty distasteful of the white martians
#18 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio
Malefic
Commander Blanx

One of these two.

#19 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13673 posts) - - Show Bio

Despero could also be considered one.

#20 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

But he's more tied with the JL. He's also one of the JL's most persistent foes, almost where one could consider Despero as the JL's archenemy.

#21 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13673 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

But he's more tied with the JL. He's also one of the JL's most persistent foes, almost where one could consider Despero as the JL's archenemy.

true but just because he's in one rogues gallery doesn't mean he can't be in another's as well. and i recall Despero stating that he hates J'onn the most and if i recall correctly, he almost always goes after him first.

#22 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

true but just because he's in one rogues gallery doesn't mean he can't be in another's as well. and i recall Despero stating that he hates J'onn the most and if i recall correctly, he almost always goes after him first.

I agree, but wouldn't consider him J'onn's arch-nemesis.

#23 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13673 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467:

An archenemy is an out of universe term for someone accepted to be a hero's greatest foe (and there can usually only be one archenemy). You can't have a metric ton of backstory but only one true appearance and claim to be an archenemy. If that was the case, Joe Chill would have been Batman's archenemy. He's arguably had more influence on him than anyone else.

Malefic fits the bill more than anyone else, but again, he's dead, and has been so for what, like, ten years now? He had little time to show his AE status.

I can name creatures by the dozen which have been born out of someone's consciousness, that doesn't make them archenemies either. Significance also doesn't equal archenemy.

White Martians... I don't remember MM actually ever fighting them on his own, not as part of the league. And even when he did, they didn't seem to trouble him much.

they fought in Others Among Us but thats pretty much it. and he spent the whole time trying to reason with them.

Kanto has warranted nothing to upgrade his status from recurring villain, and even so, he's part of a completely different, much larger mythos.

true.

I actually don't know who Dr. Trapp is, so IDK, he might fit the bill. But I think the very fact I don't who he is speaks in volumes.

Despero never seemed to mind much about the Martian though. They just share a power. Despero hasn't been interested in the Manhunter in any story I've recently read about him.

Despero has stated that he hates Martian Manhunter more than any other Leaguer. he attacked Gypsy and her family specifically to get to him

Darkseid is already taken.

Yup.

And again, referencing villains does not make them an archenemy, they just make him part of his rogues.

#24 Posted by FlashKnight (470 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

I consider Darkseid to be the JL's archenemy, and Depero a Manhunter villain.

#25 Posted by aoekings (2 posts) - - Show Bio

'Ma'alefa'ak, a native to the planet Mars, is the twin brother and archenemy of J'onn J'onnz, the Martian Manhunter.'

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.