Follow

Mark Waid

Person » Mark Waid is credited in 2430 issues.

Mark Waid is an American writer, considered to be one of the most influential writers of the 1990s. His expansive works includes The Flash, JLA, and Kingdom Come for DC and Captain America for Marvel. He is currently writing Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Shazam, and Superman: The Last Days of Lex Luthor for DC.

When Dan Didio Was Going To Put Mark Waid In Charge Of DC Comics

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arnoldoaad

From an interview between Tom Spurgeon and Mark Waid, talking about working as an editor at DC Comics under executive editor Dick Giordano;

I was actually offered this job about four or five years ago at DC. Dan for a while wanted to move on to a different part of the company. He invited me to take the job, and I went up there and had serious negotiations. We talked about it. Unfortunately, it fell through on some counts that had nothing to do with me. For that week I thought that was the next step of my career? Tom, I felt ten feet tall every day. I really felt like, “Man, this is it. I’ve been watching the Yankees since I was six and I’m finally on the mound, pitching.” Not because I felt, “Everything is broke and I have to fix it.” Or “Oh boy, I get to play with all of these fabulous toys.” It wasn’t quite that simple. It was more of a sense of having gotten to a point where I’m almost as good a teacher as I am a writer. I yearn to be able to work with younger creators and pass along what I know. That doesn’t mean I have all the right answers, and doesn’t mean I’m necessarily going to teach the right things. I’m going to be wrong in a lot of my philosophy, too. That’s just the way it is. I enjoy that part of the job. I would have enjoyed the idea of sitting down with that stable of characters and that stable of writers and having a meaningful dialogue about here’s what I think you’re trying to do, and here’s how I might be able to help you accomplish that. I think I have enough experience under my belt that you can take my suggestions seriously.

A DC Comics run by Mark Waid would have been an interesting beast. He might have let himself write Superman as a treat. Grant Morrison would probably got more of his pitches though. And there would probably have been less JMS.

Source

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

that would have been awesome...maybe we wouldn't have to be suffering through the New 52 if that would have happened

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.