Mark Waid not so nice?

• 68 results
#51 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12515 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Not seeing it.

#52 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cavemold said:

@noj said:

@atonemented: Yes you should treat him like a perfectly normal human being because that is EXACTLY what he is! Humans aren't some hive-mind species that are only allowed to feel one way, act in a certain manner, or believe one thing. We are far more complicated than that. So yes you are able to belittle him and treat him as less than a human being but dont think for a second that you have the moral high ground! If you truly believe that he is some sort of lesser person for his beliefs than you are being a massive hypocrite and are no better than what you claim to hate.

Oh and once again there is no difference between donating to a Anti/Pro gay organization. You are donating money to assist an organization that shares and promotes your beliefs in both cases.

oh and this is bs just a heads up

thinking this way doesn't make you objective, it makes you dumb

if you can't understand the difference between an organization of people fighting for the rights of a person and another organization trying to oppress them then you need to look at it again

this isn't about two different points of views, this isn't a liberal and conservative argument, no one is hating card for voting for someone or belonging to a certain party

they dislike him because he's homophobic, that's not the same thing as what you're saying, and on top of being homophobic he belongs to a group that's practicing oppression

#53 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow i can't believe people are actually calling trying to oppress a certain group of people, freedom of speech. So what you're basically saying is that rascism is fine as well. It's just freedom of speech. There's a difference between being able to speak your mind and actively taking part in trying to stop people from having the same as rights as you. So yes, there is a big moral difference in people fighting to deny a persons rights or people fighting for those people to have the same rights as everyone else. Mark Waid is absolutely right, and i found the others to be more insulting than him.

#54 Posted by JakeN7 (10661 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

I judge my material on its merits alone, not the author's personal/political affiliations. I suspect Mr. Waid would want to be judged under the same standard were the spotlight on him.

Orson Scott Card is damn good writer.

This. Thank you!

I'm one of the strongest supporters for gay marriage and equality. I was raised by lesbian grandmothers, and have many gay and lesbian friends and family members. However, Ender's Game has been my favorite book since the 7th grade, and that hasn't changed at all over the years. I despise Orson Scott Card as a person, but I idolize him as a writer. I think he has a lot of talent, and seeing his name on something is usually a selling point for me. As long as he isn't imposing his views on the reader within the context of what he's writing, then I look forward to reading the stories he creates.

As for Mark Waid, I love the man. He's one of my favorite comic book writers, and after reading his tweets, I have even more respect for the man now. I saw nothing wrong with what he was saying, and i thought he had every right to voice his opposition to Orson Scott Card and his beliefs.

#55 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chronus said:

@Cavemold said:

What happend to freedom of speech? Why canyt Scott believe what he wants to believe. Does Mark need to stone him?

It's because what Scott believes in is stupid and evil.

Ding ding ding ding.

#56 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17272 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Waid Respect Boost initiated.

#57 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

OSC sucks at stories.

#58 Posted by Reignmaker (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

Separate the art from the artist.

#59 Posted by Reignmaker (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

Wow i can't believe people are actually calling trying to oppress a certain group of people, freedom of speech. So what you're basically saying is that rascism is fine as well.

As someone who is in favor of same-sex marriage, I cringe whenever proponents try to make the comparison that being anti-gay = being a racist. It really distracts from the point, and isn't even remotely true. It's a cheap tactic used to socially stigmatize people holding onto their traditional values. The better approach is to logically explain how those rights and values can coexist in today's society, and why they should.

For the record, the black and minority communities don't appreciate it that the gay/lesbian groups have been trying to paint themselves in the same boat. Broadly speaking, both movements concern human rights - but the similarities stop there.

#60 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Waid is my all-time favorite writer, I have a lot of respect for the man and I enjoy his work immensely. Seriously ppl, read Irredeemable. But, yeah, he could have been a little more graceful in his responses. However for a lot of people, this is a touchy and emotional subject. I think a lot of us can easily get caught up in the emotion when we are talking about something, especially if it's something we care a lot about. That's what I think happened here, that's all.

#61 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

@Aiden Cross said:

Wow i can't believe people are actually calling trying to oppress a certain group of people, freedom of speech. So what you're basically saying is that rascism is fine as well.

As someone who is in favor of same-sex marriage, I cringe whenever proponents try to make the comparison that being anti-gay = being a racist. It really distracts from the point, and isn't even remotely true. It's a cheap tactic used to socially stigmatize people holding onto their traditional values. The better approach is to logically explain how those rights and values can coexist in today's society, and why they should.

But he is a racist. He's on the board of directors for an organization whose primary goal is keeping same-sex marriage illegal. What's there not to get?
BB

#62 Posted by Reignmaker (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Reignmaker said:

@Aiden Cross said:

But he is a racist. He's on the board of directors for an organization whose primary goal is keeping same-sex marriage illegal. What's there not to get?
BB

That's not racist, BB. Prejudiced maybe, but not racist. There's a difference.

#63 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker:

They're denying rights from a certain group of people. How is it not racist?
BB

#64 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Reignmaker said:

@Aiden Cross said:

BB

That's not racist, BB. Prejudiced maybe, but not racist. There's a difference.

#65 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Waid is hardly less of a nice person for calling a homophobe a homophobe. OSC is a bigot.

#66 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

didnt know mark had his own forum

#67 Edited by Reignmaker (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Reignmaker:

They're denying rights from a certain group of people. How is it not racist?
BB

I think in his own mind, he's trying to protect an institution that was first started by religion. Obviously it has since taken on a more legal/mainstream transformation, but OSC is a traditionalist - not unlike a lot of senior people I know. That's not racist, dude. Misguided, jaded, zealous...these are all terms that would work. Throwing out the R-bomb isn't accurate though.

Don't get me wrong, there are people who hate to the point that they'd fall into that category. But just because you're trying to stop gay marriage from happening doesn't make you a racist.

#69 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

If gays bitch and moan about Card, eff em. I don't give a damn

Gr8 b8 m8

#70 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.