Follow

Mark Waid

Person » Mark Waid is credited in 2433 issues.

Mark Waid is an American writer, considered to be one of the most influential writers of the 1990s. His expansive works includes The Flash, JLA, and Kingdom Come for DC and Captain America for Marvel. He is currently writing Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Shazam, and Superman: The Last Days of Lex Luthor for DC.

Interview: Rob Williams talks to Mark Waid on THE GREEN HORNET

comicvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Edited By comicvine

Continuing our look at creators interviewing creators, Rob Williams, writer of MISS FURY (volume 1 trade now on sale), talked to Mark Waid about his recent run on THE GREEN HORNET.

No Caption Provided

ROB WILLIAMS: What attracts you to Green Hornet? I presume you were a fan from years back? (although not from the radio serials of the 30s, I'm sure).

MARK WAID: Yeah, I'm not THAT old. I got hooked by the guest appearances on the 1960s Batman TV show and then stayed hooked through listening to recordings of the old radio serials. I was always taken by not only the legacy aspect--that he's the grand-nephew of the Lone Ranger--but also by the "triple identity" angle, that he's a newspaper publisher AND a crimefighter who POSES as a criminal. It's a brilliant twist, always has been.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

RW: You seem to really enjoy writing period pieces. Is this an era that involves a lot of research for you, or do you have a lot of knowledge of the era already?

MW: I'm no historian, to tell you the truth--I do a LOT of research as I go and work hard to keep the Hornet's technology on that fine line between "cutting edge" and "totally unbelievable for that era." And I've done a lot of reading about the way the crime families of that decade operated.

RW: What's your process on the book and how do you collaborate with Eonilson Friere? Do you work 'Marvel style' or full script?

MW: It's full-script only to bridge any potential language barriers and minimize confusion, but I'm very happy with what he's doing. In fact, I literally just finished proofreading issue eight and was quite taken with the faces and body language of the characters--Friere clearly works VERY hard, and if we ever meet face to face, dinner's on me.

No Caption Provided

RW: If someone hadn't picked up a Green Hornet comic before, what would you say to convince them to do so?

MW: I'd tell them it's not a superhero comic, it's a crime comic--and the titular "hero" is in many ways also the villain of the piece. It's one of the few comics I can think of where the ongoing theme is "hubris."

RW: The 'wealthy young man goes out to fight crime at night' thing has been done so often over the years, how do you keep it fresh?

MW: Again, it's playing the ego angle. Ramping up the arrogance of the character and letting that be his downfall.

No Caption Provided

RW: Nazi agents dovetailing with classic Chicago-era mobsters, it's a fun cast to play with. Are you enjoying writing the book?

MW: I really am. Plus, he and Kato travel in a limousine equipped with machine guns. What's not to love about THAT?

Get caught up by checking out THE GREEN HORNET VOL 1: BULLY PULPIT TPB and MISS FURY VOL 1: ANGER IS AN ENERGY, both now on sale.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Love the artwork.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.