Interview: Mark Waid talks STEED AND MRS. PEEL from Boom! Studios

Posted by G-Man (30656 posts) - - Show Bio

Boom! Studios has put out a couple series based on the orignal Avengers TV show. Last week's STEED AND MRS. PEEL immediately jumps right into the action and shakes things up in a big way. With Mark Waid behind the controls for the series, it's no surprise that we're seeing the series move forward.

We took the opportunity to ask Mr. Waid a few questions about the new series.

Comic Vine: What is it about this franchise that most appeals to you?

Mark Waid: I love the banter between the two leads, and I especially love that Emma Peel is more than a match for any man in the series, including Steed. Their relationship is delightful.

CV: Do you have more than just this one story to tell about the duo?

MW: For the time being, Caleb Monroe--my collaborator, who’s doing most of the heavy lifting--will fly solo after this first story arc, but I’d love to return in the future.

== TEASER ==

CV: The first issue jumps right into the action. Will those unfamiliar with the TV series or the previous comics be able to be able to dive into this series?

MW: Absolutely. It’s a hard-and-fast rule of mine with first issues--bring in new readers!

CV: How does the series fit into the television show's continuity since Emma Peel is here and there were later series after her character left?

MW: The story’s set during her final season on the show.

CV: How many trick umbrellas does John Steed have and how many bullets fit into the gun umbrella (seen in issue #1)?

MW: Fewer than the Penguin, and I’d say at least six. It’s a very clever contraption.

STEED AND MRS. PEEL #1 is now on sale. Issue #2 hits store shelves on October 31.

Staff
#1 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the zero issue. It was fun. I didn't know what to make of the events of issue number 1. But I am curious where Waid is going to take this story...

I thank Boom! and the people who own the Avengers for making this ongoing series because I love John Steed and Emma Peel. Definitely a favorite on my pull list.

Moderator
#2 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Gosh I so want to get into this because as a fan of the old show and the horribly botched movie attempt, I've always wanted to see a worthy Avengers comic.

#3 Posted by feebadger (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Gosh I so want to get into this because as a fan of the old show and the horribly botched movie attempt, I've always wanted to see a worthy Avengers comic.

TESTIFY!@The Poet said:

I liked the zero issue. It was fun. I didn't know what to make of the events of issue number 1. But I am curious where Waid is going to take this story...

I thank Boom! and the people who own the Avengers for making this ongoing series because I love John Steed and Emma Peel. Definitely a favorite on my pull list.

TESTIFY X 2!

#4 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

@feebadger said:

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Gosh I so want to get into this because as a fan of the old show and the horribly botched movie attempt, I've always wanted to see a worthy Avengers comic.

TESTIFY!

Indeed.

I'm not sure where Waid is going to go with this arc, but it does leave me wondering...

Of course it's much better than the Steed and Mrs. Peel series which boom! reprinted. I respect Grant Morrison and the people at Boom who reformatted the series from 3 to 6 issues (that takes a lot of work...), but I'll be honest: it was terrible. When I started I was really happy to see THE Avengers in comics, but when I continued reading I was left thinking it wasn't really THE Avengers...The reformat had trouble and so on, so the series as a whole was a Meh! but it did allow Waid to step in and take this series, so that's good...

Waid's version is much better...

Moderator
#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet: That's really saying something if a British writer cannot even do a comic about a BRITISH team right and yet an American can do it better, lol. Then again, its not really a surprise, is it?

#6 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus: yeah, it's weird...I can't understand what the story was on that series...

It just didn't have the same charm as the show. I could list a few other things I had problems with, but the major among them was the lack of charm I felt the bald englishman didn't seem to chapter enough...

Moderator
#7 Posted by bettybritain (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

@The Poet: That's really saying something if a British writer cannot even do a comic about a BRITISH team right and yet an American can do it better, lol. Then again, its not really a surprise, is it?

I am sure you're not saying what I think you're saying. :) Remember the 'horribly botched movie attempt' was written by American writers.

#8 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

@bettybritain said:

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

@The Poet: That's really saying something if a British writer cannot even do a comic about a BRITISH team right and yet an American can do it better, lol. Then again, its not really a surprise, is it?

I am sure you're not saying what I think you're saying. :) Remember the 'horribly botched movie attempt' was written by American writers.

I try not to remember that movie...

Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.