Interview: Mark Waid on INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK, DAREDEVIL and Hulk Mustaches

Posted by G-Man (32252 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Waid is one of those solid writers that just continuously cranks out great comics and stories. Lately he's been carving out his spot as one of the top Daredevil writers. With Marvel NOW! nearly upon us, Waid will continue with DAREDEVIL but will also be putting his mark on Hulk by writing the relaunched INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK with Leinil Yu.

With this being Waid's first time fully writing Hulk and because he's re-teaming up with his SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT collaborator, we had to take the opportunity to ask him some questions and find out what we can expect.

Comic Vine: Hulk is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Will this be in any way similar to Peter David's "Professor" Hulk run where he was the leader of the Pantheon? (I loved smart Hulk running that team).

Mark Waid: Not so much. This is more like “release the Kraken!”

CV: Will we see Hulk join/get asked to join S.H.I.E.L.D. in the first issue or will it be something that's happened and the events will slowly be revealed?

MW: It’s a big part of issue one. He doesn’t actually get asked to join. It’s Banner’s idea. But as to why S.H.I.E.L.D. would agree, that’s a mystery that we’ll be feeding clues out on slowly....

CV: Who came up with the adjective, "INDESTRUCTIBLE" for the series?

MW: I think editor Mark Paniccia did, and to be honest, I was at first a little resistant--until I realized that it fit the new Banner/Hulk status perfectly--it’s the spot-on adjective for how Banner regards the Hulk now, as you’ll see in issue one.

CV: Are we going to see any of the other numerous 'Hulks'?

MW: Absolutely--not immediately, but soon!

CV: What will be the tone of the book? The title suggests big action and destruction, will it be less of a lighter feel than DAREDEVIL?

MW: A bit less light than DD, yes, because there’s not quite as much room for witty banter in HULK. But it’s an adventure tone and a tone of hope, as in Daredevil. A thoroughly non-cynical tone.

CV: You were talking about pitting Hulk against non-common villains on Twitter. Is this something you plan on doing to give the series a different twist? Hulk vs. Hydro-Man? Hulk vs. Taskmaster? Hulk vs. new Hellfire Club? (I loved the Sandman suggestion).

MW: It’s less about giving it a different twist, more about just wanting to surprise readers (and myself) (and my artists). The bench of super-villains at Marvel is very deep.

CV: Will DAREDEVIL be affected by Marvel NOW?

MW: Only in that issue 21 will, like the Point-One issue we did, be structured as a very good jumping-on point for lapsed and new readers--but not in any way that undercuts the ongoing subplots.

CV: You've had so many incredible artists on DAREDEVIL (Paolo Rivera, Marco Checchetto, Chris Samnee, Mike Allred). How did you get so lucky?

MW: Two words: Steve Wacker.

CV: Where does Thunderbolt Ross' mustache go when he turns into Red Hulk? Will your Hulk ever have a mustache?

MW: Thunderbolt’s mustache goes into the Negative Zone, where it enjoys its own separate adventures that will hopefully someday be told. Our Hulk needs no mustache. Muttonchops, perhaps.

Staff
#1 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

the indestructible moustache. you know you'd read it. dont lie to yourself.

#2 Posted by zachkastner (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Hulk should get a moustache. I think it's kind of awesome (AND ODD that he doesn't already have one).

Maybe the hair just gets dispersed across his face so a Ross moustache is like Rulk peach fuzz? Then a Rulk beard would be like a Ross... yeti? Hah, so much hair.

#3 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good!

That moustache definitely needs a backup!

#4 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer said:

the indestructible moustache. you know you'd read it. dont lie to yourself.

It'd be better writing than what Jason Aaron's got going on with Hulk right now.

I think The Incredulous Moustache sounds better, though. More... refined.

Waid's a funny guy.

#5 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!: yeah i kept getting the issues hoping for a mind blowing ending. alas all i got was a 'really? this is what all of this has been about? how does this even work?!?! this is stupid' moment.

#6 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

haha mutton chops a little funny

#7 Posted by DrakenRyu (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one thinking that those look like hulked out Mario and Luigi? XD

#8 Posted by BritishMonkey (323 posts) - - Show Bio

It's called "indestructible" Hulk? I like it.

#9 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot wait for this to start. It sounds awesome.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17962 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:

@theTimeStreamer said:

the indestructible moustache. you know you'd read it. dont lie to yourself.

It'd be better writing than what Jason Aaron's got going on with Hulk right now.

I think The Incredulous Moustache sounds better, though. More... refined.

Waid's a funny guy.

this

Online
#11 Posted by riiiiiiiight (98 posts) - - Show Bio

@DrakenRyu said:

Am I the only one thinking that those look like hulked out Mario and Luigi? XD

Haha I thought the same exact thing.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

"A bit less light than DD"  
 
*SIGH* 
 
Cant Waid leave DD and go and write the Sentry or something? 

#13 Posted by Grimoire (537 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really liking where they seem to be going with The Hulk. "Release the Kraken".....interesting. lol

#14 Posted by Lvenger (19268 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

"A bit less light than DD" *SIGH* Cant Waid leave DD and go and write the Sentry or something?

Why? Daredevil's awesome. Or so I hear. I'd rather he wrote my 7th favourite character than Sentry.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

"A bit less light than DD" *SIGH* Cant Waid leave DD and go and write the Sentry or something?

Why? Daredevil's awesome. Or so I hear. I'd rather he wrote my 7th favourite character than Sentry.

Waid's DD is a steaming pile of crap 
#16 Posted by TylerTheDestroyer (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer: Id read the crap out of that.

#17 Posted by Lvenger (19268 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

"A bit less light than DD" *SIGH* Cant Waid leave DD and go and write the Sentry or something?

Why? Daredevil's awesome. Or so I hear. I'd rather he wrote my 7th favourite character than Sentry.

Waid's DD is a steaming pile of crap

The Eisner award winning series is a steaming pile of crap? A lot of people would disagree with you there I'm afraid.

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17962 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

"A bit less light than DD" *SIGH* Cant Waid leave DD and go and write the Sentry or something?

Why? Daredevil's awesome. Or so I hear. I'd rather he wrote my 7th favourite character than Sentry.

Waid's DD is a steaming pile of crap

why?

Online
#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

"A bit less light than DD" *SIGH* Cant Waid leave DD and go and write the Sentry or something?

Why? Daredevil's awesome. Or so I hear. I'd rather he wrote my 7th favourite character than Sentry.

Waid's DD is a steaming pile of crap

The Eisner award winning series is a steaming pile of crap? A lot of people would disagree with you there I'm afraid.

So did Fractions Iron Man and it's crap aswell 
#20 Posted by Lvenger (19268 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

"A bit less light than DD" *SIGH* Cant Waid leave DD and go and write the Sentry or something?

Why? Daredevil's awesome. Or so I hear. I'd rather he wrote my 7th favourite character than Sentry.

Waid's DD is a steaming pile of crap

The Eisner award winning series is a steaming pile of crap? A lot of people would disagree with you there I'm afraid.

So did Fractions Iron Man and it's crap aswell

I didn't much like Fraction's Iron Man but Waid is a far superior writer to Fraction. One of my favourites in fact. What he's done on Daredevil has been brilliant I have to say. What is it you don't like about Waid's DD run?

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by sentryman555 (765 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god someone else is taking over Hulk! Maybe I'll finally be able to pick up a new issue without wanting to set it on fire after reading it.

#23 Posted by badaboop (137 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the few upcoming books I'm excited for. I've always been a fan of Leinil Yu's work and Mark Waid's a good writer, hopefully he'll stay on the series for a little bit.

#24 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17962 posts) - - Show Bio

@badaboop said:

One of the few upcoming books I'm excited for. I've always been a fan of Leinil Yu's work and Mark Waid's a good writer, hopefully he'll stay on the series for a little bit.

agreed

Online
#25 Posted by Howlverine (62 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

@badaboop said:

One of the few upcoming books I'm excited for. I've always been a fan of Leinil Yu's work and Mark Waid's a good writer, hopefully he'll stay on the series for a little bit.

agreed

seconded. Also, is the Hulk wearing indestructible pants now? Long overdue, I say.

#26 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17962 posts) - - Show Bio

@Howlverine said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

@badaboop said:

One of the few upcoming books I'm excited for. I've always been a fan of Leinil Yu's work and Mark Waid's a good writer, hopefully he'll stay on the series for a little bit.

agreed

seconded. Also, is the Hulk wearing indestructible pants now? Long overdue, I say.

yeah i guess, but still it sounds exciting

Online
#27 Posted by Howlverine (62 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull: Oh yeah, totally. Should be absolutely kick-ass.

#28 Posted by thatlad (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of disappointed there wasn't one question about Waid's thrillbent endeavour. I've been really enjoying his Insufferable series

#29 Posted by Loki9876 (3003 posts) - - Show Bio

The mystery of the moustache is revealed.

#30 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this man. Waid could do no wrong in my eyes. Not after Kingdom Come, Birthright, and Tower of Babel.

#31 Posted by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

The moustache thing STILL bothers me to this day. Reading Hulk and looking for clues as to who Red Hulk was was so fun, and then it's this insane, stupid leap in logic that allows completely screwing over anything that would feel earned. It still bothers me to the point where I've a hard time liking Red Hulk, and at the start of McGuinness/Loeb's run I really did.

#32 Posted by Watcherg6 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

HULK SMASH MUSTACHES!

#33 Edited by Teerack (5814 posts) - - Show Bio

If Banner and Hulk are bros again and Hulk is building up rep as a hero and not a monster in this book then I'm super siked.

#34 Posted by TDK_1997 (14685 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Hulk would again be a good back with Waid writing it.

#35 Posted by SlickyMike88 (220 posts) - - Show Bio

That robot looks like co host 3000;) to any that listens to spill , you what i'm talking about:)

#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I'm actually intrigued as to why Waid is making it that it was Banner's idea to join SHIELD instead of the other way around. Makes me curious like you guys as to why the organization would agree to have him in the ranks. Since this is the only Marvel NOW title I'm getting, I'm paying close attention to this.

#37 Posted by Mr_Winchester (708 posts) - - Show Bio

"Release the kraken" eh? Sounds good!

#38 Posted by sdeloria (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always felt that Ross' mustache should remain on his face in his Rulk form and his hair should stay grey. I think it would be a distinguishing look for the character.

#39 Posted by Mowgli22 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

he's doing awesome with Daredevil

#40 Posted by jwalser3 (4876 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for a mustache series!

#41 Posted by sparty-dbq (792 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love, love, love, love, LOVE to see Hulk trounce those little smart-ass Hellfire tweens.

#42 Posted by Luster77 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for this run to drop...I dig Waids writing, haven't read DD though. But to see Indestructible Hulk get down, be a hero and monster at the same time will be awesome to see. They really need to start playing up Banners intellect in these stories too, I mean, come on man, he's one of the smartest guys in Marvel Comics, show that brain some more love and show why he should be feared just as much as Hulk.

#43 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17962 posts) - - Show Bio

@Luster77 said:

I can't wait for this run to drop...I dig Waids writing, haven't read DD though. But to see Indestructible Hulk get down, be a hero and monster at the same time will be awesome to see. They really need to start playing up Banners intellect in these stories too, I mean, come on man, he's one of the smartest guys in Marvel Comics, show that brain some more love and show why he should be feared just as much as Hulk.

Pak did a great job with banners intellect , i have faith in waid, i love dd series,

Online
#44 Posted by daredevil21134 (11462 posts) - - Show Bio

Witty banter.SIGH

#45 Posted by HollowPrince665 (97 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: I think Waid is doing a great job with DD right now. Its starting to get back to the dark tormented Matt from Vol 2. I'm really happy with his run. The story is great. It makes sense for it to be a bit lighter. Matt said it himself that he was trying to be happier and move past what had happened. The art reflects it perfectly. Now that things are starting to crumble around him, the color scheme is different, he is acting different. I think that the more DD issues come out and the mystery gets flushed out, the more you'd probably like it. I admit its not like Bendis or Miller, but Waid has been doing a fantastic job at DD.

#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@HollowPrince665 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: I think Waid is doing a great job with DD right now. Its starting to get back to the dark tormented Matt from Vol 2. I'm really happy with his run. The story is great. It makes sense for it to be a bit lighter. Matt said it himself that he was trying to be happier and move past what had happened. The art reflects it perfectly. Now that things are starting to crumble around him, the color scheme is different, he is acting different. I think that the more DD issues come out and the mystery gets flushed out, the more you'd probably like it. I admit its not like Bendis or Miller, but Waid has been doing a fantastic job at DD.

If it's taken 20 issues to get good then I'm still gonna pass till he's off the book 
#47 Posted by daredevil21134 (11462 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@HollowPrince665 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: I think Waid is doing a great job with DD right now. Its starting to get back to the dark tormented Matt from Vol 2. I'm really happy with his run. The story is great. It makes sense for it to be a bit lighter. Matt said it himself that he was trying to be happier and move past what had happened. The art reflects it perfectly. Now that things are starting to crumble around him, the color scheme is different, he is acting different. I think that the more DD issues come out and the mystery gets flushed out, the more you'd probably like it. I admit its not like Bendis or Miller, but Waid has been doing a fantastic job at DD.

If it's taken 20 issues to get good then I'm still gonna pass till he's off the book

Its still not all that good.He's still making jokes

#48 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving the new direction of the Hulk. Of course it is inspired by the Avengers movie, but it is how the Hulk and Banner should be portrayed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.