Follow

Mark Millar

Person » Mark Millar is credited in 1245 issues.

Mark Millar is a comic writer known best for his work on The Authority, and many flagship titles for Marvel, and the hugely successful Civil War storyline. He is currently focusing on creator-owned work.

What's with all the Mark Millar hate?

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MethodMan008

So I was listening to the podcast from a few weeks ago and Sara and the other dude were bagging on Millar during the show..

He is personally one of my favorite writers as I think the work he's done in the Ultimates and Ultimate Fantastic Four has been fantastic..

Do a lot of people here not like Millar? If you feel that way what do you usually not like about his books?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't know. Personally, I'm not fan... but I'm not a hater. I've enjoyed some of his work, but his work tends to polarise people except people mistake his work for him... so most people either love him or hate him.

But for now, I'll just let NextWave say it for me... ;)

No Caption Provided
    guyver 0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By guyver 0

I still love his writing. It's the unchecked ego I can't stand. He's selling the stories to his creator owned work before the comic has even been written. If he wants to just make movies he should do it and quit comics. The comics have become a sideline for his movie work. AH! but I love him trying to make the US realise there is a European market again.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#5  Edited By cbishop

My personal view of Millar is that his work is violence and profanity for the sake of "ha ha, I put it in a comic because I can!"  That's the entire premise to Kick-Ass, and Superior suffers for it.  Also, I was completely put off by his Wizard interview (#228 - an issue Millar guest edited), which told us really nothing about the comic, but made sure to tell us what he thinks he's done for "the Superman archetype."  From reading the first issue, I'd say all he's "done" is add profanity to the mix.  Big whoop. 

Bottom line: the guy's an @$$, pandering to the lowest form of comics, in order to promote his Hollywood ambitions.  He's a blight on comics, in my not so nice opinion.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By iLLituracy

I appreciate his work, but he's kinda' a tool. Then again, I don't read his work for who he is but what he writes so I don't really care if he's a douche or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

iLLituracy summed it up nicely.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Caligula

I like pretty much everything he writes.

He's one of the very few writers out there doing anything fresh. Especially with things like Nemesis and Superior

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

His Fantastic Four was very good too.
    Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daycrawler

I like some of his stuff (Civil War, Kick Ass, Wolverine) but I think recently the whole violence and gore aspect has gotten a bit played out with his work and actually works against some of the clever ideas he's had. He's always had an element of darkness and violence in his work though. I remember reading him way back when he wrote for 2000AD. Red Razors was pretty dark and blackly comic (for the time anyway).

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By damswedon

2000 AD fans give his Dredd work the name Super Dredd. Here is a typical story.

• Awesome Villain #194 commits an awesome crime and kills a bunch of people (higher the body-count the better, plus bonus points for killing Judges).
    • Super Dredd tracks down Awesome Villain down to a blown up warehouse/hospital/nursery/shop.
    • Awesome Villain spends a page saying how awesome s/he is.
    • Super Dredd defeats Awesome Villain in a way that makes only him look more awesome.
    • Repeat each and every week.

Then there was his Robo-Hunter reboot. Lets just say it is so hated that when they collected and reprinted that era's Robo-Hunter comics they decided it would be better to ignore it completely.

As for his American work he still works on the "this is an awesome idea lets write that without really think how I should do it". Sometimes it works but mostly it fails in really simple ways like how Kick Ass becomes what it is trying to riff.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By ReVamp

Don't know but, I like what I've read, which admittedly isn't much.

<--------------------------------------------------------This---------------------------------------------|

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By CATPANEXE

I like a few a books by him, but I won't delve on that.
    The thing that is important is how does he feel about any put downs when he's on the way to the bank to cash the sizable check
    he has due to the great success he is currently enjoying. The point being, you may hear or read a few people saying he or his work
    are unsatisfactory, but the numbers he pulls in means those opinions are in the minority one way or another.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Overall I love most of his books at Marvel (Ultimates 1 and 2, Old Man Logan, Civil War, and from what I've seen of his run on Fantastic Four seems great as well.) He's a great writer with some good ideas and can write a comic like it's a movie (just read The Ultimates which is now being used as a building block for The Avengers movie) but his over the top use of bad language ruins most of his books for me. Even though I love the book, Old Man Logan would have been twice as better if there was less cursing in it.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Billy Batson

Haters gonna hate. 

BB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.