Obama's Reading Superior?

Posted by No_name_here (330 posts) - - Show Bio
 Incriminating evidence?

We all know that Obama’s gone on record to say that he’s a collector (or, at least, has been a collector) of SPIDER-MAN and CONAN comics. There was also that photo of him striking a Superman pose in front of the Man of Steel’s statue in Metropolis, IL and dropping some serious Krypton lore during a speech.  With all that in mind, I suppose it really isn’t too out of the question to believe that he could be reading Mark Millar and Leinil Yu’s new comic SUPERIOR.  

And this pic would certainly seem ot evidence that, wouldn’t it? It’s hard to argue with a photograph.

Don’t believe everything you see, of course.  

The real photo.

What see you above is doctored version of this photo. Seems like Obama was reading up on a little dryer subject… Lincoln. Bleeding Cool’s collected these photos from a few message boards and called Mark Millar out as being behind the trickery. If he is, indeed, responsible, then this wouldn’t be too different from a similar stunt he pulled in the spring where he made it look like NEMESIS was being advertised on billboards in Times Square.    

There’s been no confirmation, of course, but if you follow the “Cui bono?” line of reasoning, then Millar would definitely be the one to benefit the most from this potential viral meme. == TEASER ==

Some people have a problem with this kind of thing but, myself, I see it as just part of the kind of showmanship that can make comics so much fun. Maybe Millar's crossing some previously-avoided lines but, in a lot of ways, this is very much the modern equivalent of the kind of wonderfully hyperbolic promotion Stan Lee was doing in the 60s. Swap a letter column soap box for a Tweet deck and the similarities are a lot more pronounced.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon here &  here .

#1 Posted by dondasch (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar, Attention Whore, strikes again.

#2 Posted by staceydillon (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Obama looks pissed in that superman picture.

#3 Posted by countvontrey (415 posts) - - Show Bio

lol nice.

#4 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

Our President is such a nerd.... 
I LOVE HIM!!!!!
#5 Posted by N7_Normandy (2411 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.......

#6 Posted by comicbikerscott (152 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome
#7 Posted by Jordanstine (895 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know who seeks more attention: 

Mark Millar? 

Or LeBron James? 

Either way, it's got our attention.
#8 Posted by .o0Johnny0o. (744 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a huge fan of Millar really but I do enjoy his tounge in cheek approach, not taking things too seriously.  You can see how he and Jonathan Ross are friends!

#9 Posted by NightFang (10261 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#10 Posted by Pizawle (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#11 Posted by Asesino (376 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar ftw

#12 Posted by GraveSp (314 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk now a days anyone who knows Photoshop could do it, and I would say a good amount of people who are fans of Millar know photoshop.  

#13 Posted by longbowhunter (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

Ridiculous!
#14 Posted by Jotham (4512 posts) - - Show Bio

Lincoln? Boring.

#15 Posted by spider-man 2996 (659 posts) - - Show Bio

He should read the comic instead
#16 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we all know the REAL truth. He was hiding a copy of Nemesis in that Lincoln book.

#17 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually it 's pretty noticeably shopped 

#18 Posted by tonis (6183 posts) - - Show Bio

a doctored picture in and of itself isn't too big a deal. It's the context it gets used in and whether the poster intends the viewer to believe it's undoctored or doesn't acknowledge that it's not an original. It's a lot like using a quote or statement from someone else without acknowledging the sources, if you try to pass something off as your own or original and it's not, someone is eventually going to call you on it.

#19 Posted by skullduggery pleasant (54 posts) - - Show Bio

it would be funnier if he were carrying a copy of kickass.

#20 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha! :D

#21 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha! That's clever! :D  I knew it was doctored, though. Everyone knows President Obama reads Marvel. Viva la Photoshop!
#22 Posted by conformist21 (411 posts) - - Show Bio

millar is a sucka,
he should stop writing to the lowest common denominator,
he writes well when he puts himself to it

#23 Posted by Weapon-Alpha (140 posts) - - Show Bio

well he has been in enough comic books himself haha

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.