More on Millar's Superhero Movie

Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to Scottish TV (by way of Bleeding Cool) we’ve got a little more detail about Mark Millar’s plans to direct his own Scottish superhero movie.

In his words…

The plan with the Scottish movie was that I realised that everything I’d written, even though I’m a Scottish guy from Coatbridge, everything I’d written was set in New York or Los Angeles. I just thought that’s quite weird; normally people will do something that is a wee bit to do with where they came from, so I thought that it was quite odd that I’ve never done that. It’s a lazy shorthand to always set something in America that everybody understands.

I saw District 9, the South-African alien movie. I thought that that was quite interesting to see something that people don’t associate with South Africa, which is alien invasions, to juxtapose two things and make something quite interesting and quite odd, and I thought wouldn’t it be cool to do a superhero movie in Scotland.

Not a cheesy BBC Scotland comedy kind of thing, but to make it cool, as cool as X Men 2 was or whatever. Not costumes and that kind of stuff, a 21st century Trainspotting kind of thing about people with superpowers and make it epic, make it big and grand in scope, try and do something that’s unexpected.

So my plan is to start directing that in June, June and July. We’re prepping it just now. We want to do it with an entirely new cast, people nobody have seen before, young people from Glasgow and Edinburgh and work with local teams. Everyone that works on the movie we want to try and keep Scottish and just create a superhero movie with its own unique flavour.

The INVISIBLES...

Even without a video/audio assist, I’m glad I can hear that man’s awesome Scottish brogue when I read this. Sounds like it’s going to be less like NEMESIS and more like an urban, street level superheroes-but-not-superheroes-style story like the INVISIBLES. I do agree with his sentiments about it being puzzling a lot of times when you loose track of where a British writer is from after he’s written stories set in America for so long. Also, I agree that setting DISTRICT 9 in South Africa made it a lot more unique and interesting.  And it would be more interesting to see at least one superhero who prefers haggis over hamburger.

Speaking of NEMESIS, I don’t know where or if these have been announced yet, but there are a couple more “Millarworld” titles in the works with Dave Gibbons and Leinil Francis Yu. Give Millar his due… he works with the right people. And, on top of all that, he’s got another Spider-Man story in the pipeline.

Seems like the tracks have been laid down and the Millar-directing-another-superhero-movie train has already left the station, regardless of how well KICK-ASS does at the box office come April. The jury’s still out on then, although Babs has already submitted her own verdict about the movie.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Edited by Emerald Dragonfly (212 posts) - - Show Bio

First.
By the way, I'm waiting for that movie... But I'm not sure in its' success. 

#2 Posted by Darth Bane (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Woo hoo he sorta liked district 9...... im form south africa!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds awesome
now if someone could do an irish super hero without the retarded faux accent it would be wonderful

#4 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darth Bane said:
"Woo hoo he sorta liked district 9...... im form south africa!!!!!!!!!! "

GREAT movie and GREAT country
#5 Posted by Fleonix (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I am looking forward to see how this develops, and get more news about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.