Millar's Superhero Comic with Leinil Yu is Revealed

• 52 results
Posted by No_name_here (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost exactly a month ago, Mark Millar put some enigmatic previews out for SUPERIOR, his new creator-owned superhero title with Leinil Francis Yu. The previews were pretty sparse, only showing the logo along with photos of real world troubles and ominous taglines like “He is coming to save us.” A lot of you suspected that this be a darker, more realistic take on the Superman archetype. Turns out you were partially right…

Bleeding Cool’s got some scans from the special issue of Wizard that Millar guest-edited just recently. It’s got some art of a Superman-like hero (who’s actually a 13-year-old with multiple Sclerosis,)  as well as the nasty-looking bio-mechanoid monster, Abraxas (who’s described as Darkseid meets Brainiac meets Darth Vader.) The mad Scotsman’s saying he’s wanted to write this kind of story his whole life and the “high concept” is that SUPERIOR shows what Superman would be like if he came out of the Marvel universe. It’ll have the “usual insane amount of violence” but still a lot of heart. == TEASER == 

Here are the other pics...

What sticks out to me the most about this is that Superior (if that’s his name) seems to be wearing a huge pro-wrestling title belt on his waist. And then there’s also the revelation that Millar wanted to have the first issue of NEMESIS end with the president (that's right, the real president of the United States) getting decapitated, but it ended up running too controversial to print. That’d certainly following a theme he’s already established. I remember the first arc of ULTIMATE X-MEN ending with Magneto stripping George Bush naked on the White House lawn.

Anyway, now that you maniacs know a little more about this mysterious project, does it intrigue you more? Supposedly, Millar’s already got a movie deal worked out for this, so you just might be seeing it in theaters in a couple years.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

#1 Posted by conformist21 (411 posts) - - Show Bio

looks damn intriguing

#2 Posted by ComicCrazy (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

Millar is crazy. I mean "what if Batman was like the joker" and now "Superman if he was from Marvel".
#3 Edited by MetatronDaDon (97 posts) - - Show Bio

Mike Millar is crazy, crazy like a fox! 

#4 Posted by RedHurricane24 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

So, this is MegaMind, minus Steve Carell and Brad Pitt voice-overs. And Marvel fanboys complain that DC bites Marvel. SMH

#5 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. I dont like Nemesis. Lets see how this will fare.

#6 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

Another Superman?

#7 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2264 posts) - - Show Bio

So this is Superman with MS?

#8 Posted by Hamz (340 posts) - - Show Bio

So has Mark Millar lost creativity or is he just trying to piss of the DC Comics legal team?

Nemesis has, so far, been utter trash. And I find the fact he's basing new material off of pre-existing DC stuff a little disheartening. Come up with something original or at least semi original. Don't just tell your potential audience that your upcoming project will be like "Superman, if he was from Marvel".

#9 Posted by rlmay3 (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Did I miss something that says multiple sclerosis is indicative of Marvel?

#10 Posted by Marius138 (90 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm no fan of his recent work with Nemesis and I don't know about this whole MS thing, but Millar has done some really great stuff in the past and I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.  So I'm open to the idea.   

Although I would just like to point out that Marvel kind of already did their take on Superman.  Sentry, and as far as I'm concerned it was not one of their better ideas, so heres hoping Millar does a better job.    

#11 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

I dig the look of the hero and villain but I hate when the same name is used for different characters.I realize Abraxas isn't a very popular or recognizable name but to someone who reads comics and frequents a site like Comicvine it does annoy me a bit.I understand that a lot of mythological characters might have the same name across different publishers,Thor for example, but I just can't help but be miffed.

#12 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

seriously dislike Yu's artwork, but i'll check it out anyway

#13 Posted by GT-Man (3945 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks GREAT
#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey! There's already been a Marvel Superman! D: 

Aw, Millar, now you went and made him upset =(
#15 Posted by Bloodstonefreak (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me too much of the Sentry (not to mention the already stated Superman).  Not sure about this, but I'll give Millar a chance.

#16 Posted by ComicMan24 (147032 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks good but let's wait until the release.
#17 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@MetatronDaDon said:
"Mike Millar is crazy, crazy like a fox!  "

Him, Grant Morrison, and Warren Ellis. All those guys are crazy like a for.
#18 Posted by ForbushBug (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! More deconstructionist ultraviolent versions of existing characters from Millar! 

Here's a thought... why doesn't he write... oh I dunno... a story? And I don't mean a good first few issues and drift off to due something else. Maybe even have it come out... and I know this sounds crazy... monthly? I'm just tired of the man doing all these "let's mess with the genre and shock people" concepts that that you shouldn't really get into because who knows when or even if the next issue will come out. 

#19 Posted by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio
@Comiclove5 said:
" @MetatronDaDon said:
Him, Grant Morrison, and Warren Ellis. All those guys are crazy like a for. "
Imagine the kind of story they'd write if they worked together. Nah... just lock 'em up in a looney bin... for all our sakes!

That being said, (lol) I have to say that I'm drawn to this "Superior" because he's described as a "realistic Superman". I've always wondered what Supes would be like if he was a little more down to earth, like the rest of the heroes. The " 13-year-old with multiple Sclerosis" part is were it gets iffy for me, though. =$
#20 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aquamariner said:
" Imagine the kind of story they'd write if they worked together."
Millar and Morrison have actually done a fair bit of work together.
#21 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aquamariner said:
" @Comiclove5 said:
" @MetatronDaDon said:
Him, Grant Morrison, and Warren Ellis. All those guys are crazy like a for. "
Imagine the kind of story they'd write if they worked together. Nah... just lock 'em up in a looney bin... for all our sakes! That being said, (lol) I have to say that I'm drawn to this "Superior" because he's described as a "realistic Superman". I've always wondered what Supes would be like if he was a little more down to earth, like the rest of the heroes. The " 13-year-old with multiple Sclerosis" part is were it gets iffy for me, though. =$ "
That would be a crazy, cool, gory, awesome, horrifing story of beauty. lol.
Yeah, it seems it will cool.
#22 Posted by Jordanstine (895 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG!

It's Magneto in his 20's without the helmet!

#23 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

So now Millar has the Marvel versions of Batman and Superman? What's next? Wonder Woman? Is he gonna call it WONDERFUL?

#24 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

Until further notice, I say meh

#25 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Lame, I don't see why Millar is always trying to be so edgy.

#26 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

The previews piqued my interest. I will read this.

#27 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

Really,I don't get the idea of saying "if Superman were in the Marvel universe he'd be much darker." or whatever. If Superman were in the Marvel universe...well then shoot,I guess he'd be in the Marvel universe.

"Abraxas (who’s described as Darkseid meets Brainiac meets Darth Vader.) "
Isn't this the sort of thing that got him in trouble with DC's legal mugwumps a while back?

#28 Posted by Catastrophic (308 posts) - - Show Bio

There's already a Marvel (MAX to be accurate) interpretation of the Justice League called Supreme Squadron. In fact, there's an R-Rated version for Mature Audiences only. Not to mention real life events are also laid out in the story. So isn't this redundant. 

Superman - Hyperion
Batman - Nighthawk

#29 Posted by Joey Ravn (382 posts) - - Show Bio

"Mark Millar" 

Oh. Bye.

#30 Edited by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Catastrophic said:

" There's already a Marvel (MAX to be accurate) interpretation of the Justice League called Supreme Squadron. In fact, there's an R-Rated version for Mature Audiences only. Not to mention real life events are also laid out in the story. So isn't this redundant.   Superman - Hyperion Batman - Nighthawk "

That is actually the MAX version of the original Squadron Supreme, which in turn is an homage to the JLA. If the character is automatically redundant for being like Superman, so are a wealth of characters that already exist in Marvel, DC, Image, et al. The fact that he is actually a 13-year-old boy (strange detail to give away up front) makes him more like Captain Marvel than Superman in any case.
#31 Posted by LP (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, but he looks kind of generic to me. Marvel already tried this and they failed miserably, but I hope theirs is better.

#32 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, if something has an "insane amount of violence", it already doesn't have enough "heart".

#33 Posted by dondasch (921 posts) - - Show Bio
@Comiclove5:   I can't put Millar in the same category as those two.
#34 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his work.  I'll read this for sure.  He does well taking it as far as he can.  Even in the mainstream Universes, and the Ultimate Universes.  I thought he was gonna get some slack when he made the bad guy in the Ultimates vol 3 a Musslim fanatic.  With his renditions of modernizing Marvel characters I thought Adul al Rahman was going to be the Ultimate Red Skull.  Captain Americas nemesis, his physcial euqual in certain aspects, and he was wairing red.  I still don't know what the W on his chest was, but those runs by Millar were soooooo good. 
#35 Posted by Pizawle (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

Millar is fun. I do not take his stuff too seriously. This sounds like another entertaining read.

#36 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2529 posts) - - Show Bio

Abraxas looks cool.

#37 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like another lame superman rip-off character to me.

I'M TALKING TO YOU, SENTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#38 Posted by CedricAckeyi (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm....Seems like Captain Marvel than Superman.

#39 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" Hey! There's already been a Marvel Superman! D: 

Aw, Millar, now you went and made him upset =( "
lol
#40 Posted by Dark Cell (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets hope Sentry kicks his ass...when he comes back to life

#41 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

So Superior wil take place in the Marvel Universe?

#42 Posted by EddieAy (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice costume.    
#43 Posted by Catastrophic (308 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:

That is actually the MAX version of the original Squadron Supreme, which in turn is an homage to the JLA. If the character is automatically redundant for being like Superman, so are a wealth of characters that already exist in Marvel, DC, Image, et al. The fact that he is actually a 13-year-old boy (strange detail to give away up front) makes him more like Captain Marvel than Superman in any case. "

I know that there is the MAX version and the earlier version. Both of them appeared in Ultimate Powers. What I meant by redundant is the idea of Marvel doing another homage to Superman. Isn't it better if Millar actually said it is his own take of Superman? If you understand what I mean..
#44 Edited by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Catastrophic said:

"What I meant by redundant is the idea of Marvel doing another homage to Superman. Isn't it better if Millar actually said it is his own take of Superman? If you understand what I mean.. "

Sounds to me as if it is Millar's take on the Superman. Based on what we know so far, I would wager that the character has more in common with Captain Marvel, or even Prime (anyone remember Prime?) than Superman. I think people are focusing on that one phrase a bit more than is necessary at this point. We have very few details, and those details point to this character being pretty distantly related to the concept of Superman, IMO.
#45 Posted by uroboros (140 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark Cell said:
" Lets hope Sentry kicks his ass...when he comes back to life "
YAY! The obvious inevitability of Marvel heavy hitter rebirth! One day a character might die and actually die..then none of us will know what to do..
#46 Posted by jonasLighter (89 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey:
As far as I can tell, the only guy in the Marvel universe to wear a W on his person was Wonderman.  He may have been the Ultimate universe version of Wonderman.
#47 Posted by ZaberCat (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohh, I miss Leinil Francis Yu's wonderful artworks on Wolverine! Superior is a verison of Superman in MArvel COmics? I ll check Superior's background soon.

#48 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

well ring me in a half decade when the 7th issue comes out.  this guy cant meet a dead line anymore.  Not to mention most of his recent stuff has been we like popeye pre spinach

#49 Posted by BUNo4 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

For everyone saying this is Marvel biting DC, note that this is a creator-owned project and will most likely be published under the Icon imprint.  That means it's not Marvel doing anything but publishing Millar's project.  

As to the dead president thing, Millar is obviously trying way too hard to be cool and edgy.  It'd be nice if he just told a grounded story for once.

#50 Posted by excalibur5150 (125 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel I've been more rewarded by Mark Millar than I have been burned by him.  I feel that this book has potential and too much going for it for me to just not pick it up the first issue.  Overall, visually it looks really good. 

That being said, PLEASE don't burn me again Mr.Millar!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.