Mark Millar/Steve McNiven Next Project: 'Nemesis' Revealed

• 65 results
Posted by G-Man (29420 posts) - - Show Bio

We've all been eagerly awaiting to find out more about Mark Millar and Steve McNiven's next project at Marvel.  Details on " Nemesis" have been revealed.  What might upset some fans is this project has nothing to do with any established Marvel characters.  If fact, it has more in common with a certain character from another publisher...

Millar's aim on this book is "What if Batman was the Joker.  That's even pretty clear if you look at the image above.  Millar said:

Yeah, a lot of people who've read it have been coming up with hilarious tag-lines. "What if Batman was The Joker?" is the tame one. "What if Batman was a total cunt?" is maybe my favourite, although it's hardly going to be an ad. [It's] is a reversal of the Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark archetype. What if this genius billionaire was just this total shit, and the only thing that stood between him and a city was the cops? It's Batman versus Commissioner Gordon, in a weird way. Or maybe a super-villain version of "Se7en." A billionaire anarchist up against ordinary people. The Joker's the best thing in the Batman movies, so this guy is a bit of an amalgamation of all the stuff we like.

The character is created and owned by Millar.  The book will be released through Marvel's ICON imprint.  It will be interesting to see if DC has any thoughts on this project.  It is a twist but will it be too cliche?  I don't think I have to mention that I will be eagerly waiting for this March 2010 release.  Millar has even said that Hollywood is already interested in a movie adaption.  I wonder if this could be the " superhero movie" he mentioned that he would be directing.

What are your thoughts on this?  Too much like Batman?  Is DC talking to their lawyers right now?  Do you think the concept of a villain as the lead character will work or has it been overused lately?

Staff
#1 Posted by 1eyejoker (54 posts) - - Show Bio

"What if Batman was a total cunt?"     

Sounds like Frank Miller's All-Star Batman.

#2 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Poorly-conceived DC Rip-off.  

Millar is better than this. 

#3 Posted by vuki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the general idea. Batman was always dark, but this is just psycho sh!t.
Although I gotta say, the top image screams 'Joker', even his mouth is copied in a way... Maybe Millar could've been more original with this one.

#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

@1eyejoker said:

""What if Batman was a total cunt?"      Sounds like Frank Miller's All-Star Batman. "

I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN! XD
#5 Posted by mrduckluck (133 posts) - - Show Bio

my favorite hero and my favorite villian come together to become one  
in marvel O.o

#6 Posted by johnny_spam (2028 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
eh...
#8 Posted by The Lobster (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea and basic plot he's got going, however I'm not going to judge on wither or not the character looks or acts too much like Batman till I've read the books ....but from what I've seen this looks pretty bad ass. 

I don't view this as Millar copying Batman, I see it more as a parody of Batman taken seriously. Kind of like Deadpool being a parody of Deathstroke but eventually becoming a character of his own.

#9 Posted by Catastrophic (312 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen this on other sites and everybody is jumping into the this is a batman/joker rip off bandwagon. I see this as a HOMAGE to Batman/Joker. Please, look at Quentin Tarantino. He's been doing it for quite a long time and no one's complaining. No one is saying that Quentin Tarantino rips off Shaw Scope or Bruce Lee, or spaghetti western movies. Millar even admits it is influenced by the Joker and Batman. So it's a goddamn homage! Please people.

#10 Posted by camodude (193 posts) - - Show Bio

intresting

#11 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine:  Not lately unfortunately.
#12 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

got to read to it to find out I guess 
#13 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grendel said:
" @John Valentine:  Not lately unfortunately. "

I have enjoyed his recent projects.
#14 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

Weird.

#15 Posted by The Lobster (1428 posts) - - Show Bio
@Catastrophic said:
" I've seen this on other sites and everybody is jumping into the this is a batman/joker rip off bandwagon. I see this as a HOMAGE to Batman/Joker. Please, look at Quentin Tarantino. He's been doing it for quite a long time and no one's complaining. No one is saying that Quentin Tarantino rips off Shaw Scope or Bruce Lee, or spaghetti western movies. Millar even admits it is influenced by the Joker and Batman. So it's a goddamn homage! Please people. "
I agree 100%
#16 Posted by ShadowFade (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going to wait and see how this book turns out. I am sure it will be "great" and Miller did cite that he combine both characters together to create a new one. Is this Marvel 616 or the Ultimate Universe? 

#17 Posted by The Lobster (1428 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShadowFade said:
" I am going to wait and see how this book turns out. I am sure it will be "great" and Miller did cite that he combine both characters together to create a new one. Is this Marvel 616 or the Ultimate Universe?  "
It's part of the Marvel ICON imprint, so it's published by Marvel but isn't part of the current comic continuity.
#18 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@Catastrophic said:
"I've seen this on other sites and everybody is jumping into the this is a batman/joker rip off bandwagon. I see this as a HOMAGE to Batman/Joker. Please, look at Quentin Tarantino. He's been doing it for quite a long time and no one's complaining. No one is saying that Quentin Tarantino rips off Shaw Scope or Bruce Lee, or spaghetti western movies. Millar even admits it is influenced by the Joker and Batman. So it's a goddamn homage! Please people. "

good point
#19 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't think red is his color. It makes him look like such a tart. He looks more like a Winter.

This could be interesting as a movie, but I seriously doubt that this will be as interesting as V for Vendetta was. Though I say that without knowing much of this story what so ever.

#20 Posted by Dr. Detfink (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Millar always has these novel concepts with ultra violent moments but the finish is hardly believable.

#21 Posted by ShadowFade (30 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Lobster : Oh ok. Thanks my friend. 
#22 Posted by War Killer (19484 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea, Millar's has been on a roll lately and I'm sure this will be a great book,

#23 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

Image# 1 looks sooo Bad A$s  ^_^
#24 Posted by The Lobster (1428 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShadowFade: No problem
#25 Posted by 9 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

McNiven and Mark Millar are on DC? whoa

#26 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

a villane as the lead character like in wanted  is still a great idea, just...im getting sick of all of mark millars work becoming a movie
#27 Edited by Citizen 14 (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks pretty cool actually. 
nice homage to the Bat. 
+ the picture is pretty awesome.

aaaand copying is the most sincere form of flattery.

#28 Posted by The Lobster (1428 posts) - - Show Bio
@9 said:
" McNiven and Mark Millar are on DC? whoa "
uh this is made by marvel
#29 Posted by Mr Bubbles (148 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds interesting, but coming from Marvel?

#30 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

I expected more from millar than just juxtaposing batman on the joker.  Seems not really all that original 

hack

#31 Posted by Toastalchemist (168 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like the idea has been done before. What happened to Sin city and Dark knight returns. Maybe Millar should quit comics with some dignity left. 

#32 Posted by Ectoplasmic (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that this is coming out under Marvel's ICON label.   
Regardless of the hype over if Nemisis is a Joker/Batman rip off or a homage the fact remains that this character was inspired by a mad man and Mark Millar will have an incredible amount of flexibility to explore the more graphic aspects of this character's personality and habits.  If you've been seeing what Brubaker has been getting away with under ICON with his Criminal and Incognito titles then you'd understand why this is something to be stoaked about.
I think this teaser image is making a promise for violence and obscenity that Millar couldn't push for under a regular Marvel title. Makes me wonder why Marvel is deciding to alienate it's younger audience when they're using their most popular creative team.    
#33 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

i never thought of batman or joker when i first seen the picture !!!!!! 

#34 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, give it a chance.

#35 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (262 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea, every Icon book I've read so far has been really good. Millar and McNiven are strong enough creative forces that I will try this.

#36 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19712 posts) - - Show Bio

so All-Star Batman then?

#37 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE this concept.

#38 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a really interesting concept if you read the actual article, and don't just focus on that one line, which isn't a very apt comparison. I will read this just based on the creative team, but the whole idea sounds pretty awesome.

#39 Posted by TheSavageAssasin (2761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" It's a really interesting concept if you read the actual article, and don't just focus on that one line, which isn't a very apt comparison. I will read this just based on the creative team, but the whole idea sounds pretty awesome. "
Yep.
#40 Posted by The Psyentist (16350 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
" I really don't think red is his color. It makes him look like such a tart. He looks more like a Winter."

Haha.
#41 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio

"What if Batman was a total cunt?"   hahaha. I love that one, but wasn't this kinda what The Authority's Midnighter was supposed to be? Hurm...
#42 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
This will be quite interesting to see.
#43 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@4Essence said:
" wasn't this kinda what The Authority's Midnighter was supposed to be? Hurm... "
As far as attitude is concerned, somewhat. Midnighter is a superhero though. He has powers, and fights bad guys. He might be an ass, but he's not a villain. Which is pretty lucky for the rest of the heroes is the WSU.
#44 Posted by Peterobe (115 posts) - - Show Bio

a little strange, but I am intrigued.

#45 Posted by strangeling (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll pass.

#46 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be less annoyed by this if DC were putting it out.

#47 Edited by ArtJoker (521 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks pretty cool I would like to see where this goes. While Mark does have what some might call used concepts, i don't think it will be a problem for him because he has a way of making a piece of work stand out/his own. for instance the Ultimate s, same basic principle of a story about a superhero team, but it is usually the little things that make Mark's work great; for me anyways, ex. Hawkeye killing a whole bunch of guards with his fingernails, or the kick ass series starting out with Kick Ass' ball sack strapped to a car battery.

#48 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, sure it's been talked about but never really written. I'll be sure to check this out

#49 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio
@vuki: That seems to be the idea though.
#50 Posted by crazywolf (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Might check this out just to see what it's like

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.