Mark Millar to consult on Fox's Marvel movies

• 70 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (36411 posts) - - Show Bio

Good news for iconic writer Mark Millar! Twentieth Century Fox has announced that the creative mind behind ULTIMATES, KICK-ASS, CIVIL WAR, OLD MAN LOGAN and much more will play a key role in Fox's Marvel movie franchises. Millar will now serve as a creative consultant on the studio's upcoming Marvel-based projects. Fox's future Marvel films includes X-Men: Days of Future Past, a Fantastic Four reboot directed by Chronicle's Josh Trank, and of course The Wolverine. No official word yet on the status of a potential Deadpool movie.

Emma Watts, the studio's production president, called Millar "one of the most original voices in comics today" and stated he'll be "an invaluable resource to us." As expected, Millar is thrilled about the opportunity.

"As someone who has spent his entire life obsessed with both comic-books and movies, this is essentially my dream gig as it's a unique combination of both," said Millar. "I spent ten years working at Marvel and am really happy with the work I did on the comic side of things so the idea of working with these characters now in a brand new medium is enormously exciting for me. I really like the Fox team, love this bold new direction they have for their franchises and am proud to be working alongside some of modern cinema's biggest talents. James Mangold is incredible, Matthew Vaughn's one of my closest pals and Josh Trank gave us, in my opinion, one of the greatest superhero movies of the last decade with 'Chronicle.' The invitation to join this crew was maybe the coolest phone-call I've ever had."

Millar: The change Fox needs.

When it comes to Marvel movies, Fox has had a pretty bad reputation and was a big player in the era of terrible to okay comic book movies. Most cringe at the thought of Elektra or X-Men Origins: Wolverine but their latest entry, X-Men Origins: First Class was simply fantastic. Hopefully, it's a sign of things to come at Fox and, as a big fan of Millar's work, I'm certainly optimistic about the studio's future with Marvel properties. But what about you guys? Do you share my enthusiasm and think Millar will be a huge help... or do you fear the opposite?

Staff Online
#1 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (181 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great news.

#2 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont know about this

#3 Posted by grenade728 (748 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Mark Millar and I think this is going to work out well!

#4 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I just wish Marvel could get all their movie rights back.

#5 Posted by feargalr (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Give the rights back back to Marvel!!!

#6 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSmallvillefan12 said:

This is great news.

#7 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if this is good or bad...

#8 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

Umm...

Is this supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

#9 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be more concerned about who directs the projects. I think Matthew Vaughn is returning to direct Days of future past, but the tard that wrote The last Stand is writing it, which worries me greatly considering how terrible the third installment of that franchise was. Chronicle was absolutely rubbish, and anyone that comes away from it thinking this guy's a good director for using the tired found footage style and stupid plot devices, is a fool more than they know.

#10 Posted by wildcardcomics (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison on Mark Millar - “There’s a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I’m going 100 miles an hour when it happens.” lulz

#11 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

The X-MEN movies have lost me until they cast Emma Frost correctly.

#12 Edited by k4tzm4n (36411 posts) - - Show Bio
@CaioTrubat said:

Umm...

Is this supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

Depends on how you feel about Millar.  For me, it's excellent news, but I understand some people are less than fond of his work. 

@LordRequiem: Can't say I agree with you on Chronicle being "rubbish," but to each their own.  Also, that writer (Simon Kinberg) isn't the only person on board.  Jane Goldman (who helped write First Class) is also working on the script and Vaughn also has writing credit for the project.
Staff Online
#13 Edited by BushidoBlack (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Miller is Fox's "Joss Whedon."

What's interesting is that Fox has never cared about the comic aspect of their films. The fact that Fox brought in somebody who worked in the comic industry says a lot. Best believe Marvel's success drove them to be more serious with their comic properties.

#14 Edited by k4tzm4n (36411 posts) - - Show Bio
@BushidoBlack: Definitely.  The bar has been raised ever since Batman Begins & Iron Man.  I think studios finally realize it's a huge market that needs to be taken seriously :D
Staff Online
#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm definitely on board with this. Old Man Logan is one of my favorite Wolverine stories as well as Enemy of the State. I can't say that his FF run a little while ago and his Ultimate FF were my favorites, but I'm more excited about what Trank brings to the table on that side of things. Very much looking forward to what he brings to the X-Men movies, though.

#16 Posted by CircularLogic (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love for him to get together with Warner Bros. and release a Superman: Red Son live action movie

#17 Posted by Arevish (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Millar on Marvel Movies? Prepare Oscars ;)

#18 Posted by jaredbright (204 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing about Mark Millar is he'll come up with a big concept, sometimes he's get it going and then he'll have no decent ending for it. I don't know why Civil War was late so much, but for a series that was supposed to change everything, it wasn't written very well and didn't have a real ending.

#19 Posted by Novemberx2 (403 posts) - - Show Bio

this is good news, Mark has always written in a movie style for his books and he also knows how to introduce comics to a new audience. yes marvel still haven't got back what is there's (but its there own fault for that) but with Fox clearly taking a more serious investment in quality to its super hero films we can hope we won't get any more crappy cash in films like sony's awful amazing spiderman

#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw FOX.

Marvel should have the rights.

#21 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

meh

#22 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (520 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see Mark making any difference as to ho good Fox's Marvel movies could be.

#23 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

There are pros and cons to this. Pro: We won't have to worry about craptastic Marvel movies being made. Con: If he makes them better, then they can't revert back to Marvel.

#24 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

I still do not understand why people hated Wolverine so much. Was it good? Absolutely not. Was it bad? Not really. It was mediocre. It is nowhere near on the level of that Elektra abomination.

I'm assuming the extra rage comes from being a fan of Wolverine's comic continuity with which I only have a rudimentary knowledge.

#25 Posted by JamDamage (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

@FoxxFireArt: really? Emma Frost is the ......................never mind.

#26 Posted by JamDamage (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

well, if Fox is going to keep making movies so they don't lose the right to these characters, I can't see this being a bad thing.

#27 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio

This is only good for Mark Millar... everyone else wants X-Men and FF to return to Marvel so we can have the Ultimate Marvel movie that we all are dreaming of!

#28 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm almost sorry that Marvel's getting Daredevil back now, lol. If anyone could do anything with him, Millar's the guy to do it. I'm surprised that he's never done anything with him even in the comics, now that I think about it. I loved his short lines in Civil War.

#29 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

HUGE! but i like my marvel movies made by marvel!

#30 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting....

#31 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Like what everyone says, please give back to Marvel rights! I'm not well familiar with Mark's work, however I'm looking forward to see what he brings on the table. :)

#32 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

iam a little worried but time will tell. as long as zak penn simon kinberg and brett ratner has no imput on script and stuff iam happy i hate those guys they screwd x-men up so bad with x-3 they had to do origins i think right or am i wrong in thinking that.

#33 Posted by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run is my all time favorite X-men run, and his Ultimate Fantastic Four run (1-13) are my all time favorite Fantastic Four stories. This is great news.

#34 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5288 posts) - - Show Bio

@BushidoBlack said:

Looks like Miller is Fox's "Joss Whedon."

What's interesting is that Fox has never cared about the comic aspect of their films. The fact that Fox brought in somebody who worked in the comic industry says a lot. Best believe Marvel's success drove them to be more serious with their comic properties.

This.

#35 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8876 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to see all of these movies come together

#36 Posted by MrMazz (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like this AT ALL.

Mark Millar did great with the first Ultimates and Kick Ass1 but yea other than that he just dosen't gel with me.

#37 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

oooooooooooh

#38 Posted by zombietag (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

ug i love comicvine, but sponsered links STINK

#39 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

#40 Posted by nappystr8 (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great news for Fox's Marvel movie franchise. Millar truly is one of the most original and creative talents working today, and in a film landscape that is overflowing with comic book and superhero movies, being unique is a very important thing.

#41 Posted by ReadItNow (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad move.... I don,t need that much filth and foul language in my comics or my movies

#42 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I don't see how this can't help in one way or another.

#43 Posted by dreamfall31 (523 posts) - - Show Bio

If he goes to Fox and constantly says "Give the rights back to Marvel" then I'd be find with that!

#44 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

This certainly is welcome news to me. Go Millar!

#45 Posted by MP_SimonWilliams (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally......Fox studios gets their head's out of their backsides and hires someone who knows Marvel comics and won't advocate those trainwrecks of movies that Fox puts out. Those first three X-Men movies were an a total Emil Blonski.

Millar writes in a cinematic style and has great vision for Marvel characters. The first 12 issues of the Vol I of The Ultimates was groundbreaking --- and really --- was the stage-setter for which The Avengers phase I movie was built.....just look at Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury.....that was Millar telling Hitch that he wanted a "Samuel Jackson looking character".....or the Chitauri invasion, also Millar. Mark Millar knows his stuff.....so long as Fox Studios let's him do his thing and doesn't override his suggestions, they'll dramatically change things around with those franchises.

Amazing what a Billion Dollars in Disney Avengers revenue can do to the perspective of another major movie studio, hey? This is good news for comic book fans.

#46 Posted by DoctorTrips (127 posts) - - Show Bio

No offense to Mr. Millar or the heads at Fox, but just because he's creative consultant doesn't assure that the movies will be good. It's a process that mainly involves the studio and the director and so on. He'll make his suggestions and the filmmakers will either listen or not. For example, Geoff Johns was involved in the Green Lantern movie, as a creative consultant and even co-producer, and it wasn't very good. We have to wait and see how they turn out, though I do wish the rights would go back to Marvel, I'd love to see the FF and the X-Men included in the bigger movie universe.

#47 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Heeeeey, you know what's an even better idea!? Giving the rights to all these movies back to Marvel. Seriously. However this does sound like an ok idea. Won't be too happy if these are so successful that marvel may never get back X-men and such.

Also, was First Class good? I heard it was terrible.

#48 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Good thing the movies pretty much all have to be PG-13 or we'd see all the characters horribly and gratuitously mutilated while screaming unnecessary vulgarities.

Never been a fan of Millar at all, but I am glad to see a veteran comic book writer, who has actually worked with the characters that will be portrayed on film, behind the scenes.

#49 Posted by cbishop (7098 posts) - - Show Bio

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#50 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually glad that Marvel doesn't have the rights to the X-Men movies right now, because otherwise they would just merge the X-Men movie franchise with the Avengers franchise, and I just can't stand crossovers, or the Avengers. I really like the fact that the X-Men movies are in their own universe and standing on their own.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.