Mark Millar To Adapt 'American Jesus,' Talks Future 'MILLARWORLD' Projects

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

If you had to sum up Mark Millar in one word, what would it be? The best way to describe the writer of such classics like 'Kick-Ass,' and 'WANTED' would be entrepreneurial. Of all comic creators, few have developed such an iconic brand like Millar, and since his departure from Marvel and his launch of his own Millarworld Productions.

However, Millarworld won't simply focus on the development of new comic book properties, oh no. Mark Millar is looking to expand his brand by producing adaptations of his many projects for film and television in Scotland. Millar is a true Scottish patriot, something evident in a recent interview with the Scottish Sun in which he stated that he wants to help Scotland by rooting his projects in his backyard.

== TEASER ==

But I feel passionately about doing here what the director Peter Jackson achieved in New Zealand.

"He's as far away from Hollywood as we are but proved geography was no barrier by creating one of the biggest movie franchises of all time with Lord Of The Rings." Jackson made New Zealand the main star of his films and Mark admitted: "The scenery is stunning but we can more than match that. Over the next five years in Scotland I want to do the same here."

Millar's first project will be 'American Jesus,' a title originally published by Dark Horse Comics and tells the story of the Jesus Christ set in the present day. Millar plans to adapt the project for television set partially in the United States and then in Scotland.

"I just want to make TV shows that I actually want to watch. I can't stand all the low-end reality shows. I know a lot of the guys making those programmes and they hate them as much as I do. I just want to do real quality here and that can be high-end documentaries or brand new formats as much as quality dramas like 'The Sopranos' or Mad Men.'"

Additionally, Millar's upcoming projects include production on a sequel to 'WANTED,' and the adaptation of his Superior,' 'Nemesis,' and 'Kick-Ass 2.'It would be pretty interesting to see an adaptation of 'American Jesus' in the style of Mad Men, son't you think? We kid. What do you think of Millar's upcoming projects and his attempts to further branch into the realms of film and television?

Source: The Scottish Sun

#1 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

American Jesus sounds pretty interesting.

#2 Posted by KEROGA (992 posts) - - Show Bio

idk what to think about "american jesus"

#3 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

so its just the story of jesus exept in modern day? Or something else?

#4 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is that Kick-Ass and Wanted were awesome, so I hope that streak continues

#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm...the American Jesus thing may be interesting. As for Millar's work, it speaks for itself, so I see no reason why he shouldn't branch out into other horizons. Good for him.

#6 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay!

I especially can't wait to see Kick-Ass 2 get some movement going.

#7 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Go Jesus!

#8 Posted by Cubethulhu (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope American Jesus has the same twixt ending as the comic did. That would be the greatest thing ever. Also if he films it in Scottland would it really be American Jesus?

#9 Posted by The Poet (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm....

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33472 posts) - - Show Bio

Scottish Jesus?

#11 Edited by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be pretty interesting to see an adaptation of 'American Jesus' in the style of Mad Men, son't you think?

spelling error. ;)

#12 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no bigger comic writer who hates comics as much as Mark Millar.

#13 Posted by NightFang (10068 posts) - - Show Bio

The title allow is gonna course controversy.

#14 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was going to make it into a movie.

#15 Posted by ryankwok13 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

HK comic lovers looking forward to this!!!

#16 Posted by Wingfoot (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi ! Mark Millar, the biggest super-ego I've ever seen in the comics... Hihane washte.

#17 Posted by musim (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear Mark Millar is the Axel Braun of comics.

#18 Posted by billyclubsblazing (27 posts) - - Show Bio

In my humble opinion, Mark Millar is the best comic book writer in the industry and his movies have turned out amazingly! I don't doubt Millars ability to make something great. I can't wait to see what American Jesus is all about!

#19 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@musim said:

I swear Mark Millar is the Axel Braun of comics.

I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing lol

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

@AngeTheDude said:

There's no bigger comic writer who hates comics as much as Mark Millar.

Yep,him Frank Miller and Jeph Loeb need to be buried alive.

#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

If you had to sum up Mark Millar in one word, what would it be? The best way to describe the writer of such classics like 'Kick-Ass,' and 'WANTED' would be entrepreneurial. 

Classics is a VERY strong word. 
#22 Posted by polkanot (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar is the Carlos Mencia of comics he's great with other people's ideas and materials. With that said I'll probably end up checking this out if he ever finishes it in a timely fashion.

#23 Posted by jaazzman (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Awful confusing to keep referring to his book as "American Jesus" when it was called CHOSEN. The article should state,

"Millar's first project will be 'American Jesus,' a title originally published by Dark Horse Comics as CHOSEN."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.