From Marvel To Creator Owned: Mark Millar Hints At What's Next

Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

What happens when you go into comics with the desire to write all of your favorite characters, and you do that? What comes next? For a lot of comic book creators, publishing their creator owned stories is the ultimate goal. Sharing characters that they themselves have developed is ultimately what most people want to do. For Mark Millar, it was not -- at least not at first.

SUPERCROOKS Cover
My only real ambition since I was a kid was to write and draw comics. That was it. I just wanted to do Superman and Spider-Man...Over the course of the last decade or so, I've managed to write all the characters I wanted to write. I never ever really expected movies or any of that to come from it. It sounds crazy, but I also didn't get into comics to do 'Kick-Ass' or 'Wanted' or any of those things. I got into it to do the established characters I've loved since I was five. But there just comes a point where you suddenly think, 'Yeah, I love this stuff, but I'm a little bored of seeing The Joker escape from Arkham or Lex Luthor sitting in a room thinking up plans to kill Superman. What comes next?' I've realized that creator-owned is what comes next."

And boy oh boy does he have a whole heck of a lot of creator owned stories currently in the works. In a recent interview Mark Millar discussed several of his upcoming projects -- one of them being SUPERCROOKS; due out this March. You can check out the trailer for SUPERCROOKS here. addition to publishing his own magazine (CLiNT), Millar's current projects include a Hit-Girl spinoff, a project with Dave Gibbons titled SECRET SERVICE which is set to launch in February, and a sequel to NEMESIS. Aside those three books, Millar continues to publish KICK-ASS, and SUPERIOR (which ends January 18th). So why the decision to leave Marvel and do all this creator owned work? Could it have something to do with Hollywood?

== TEASER ==

Millar isn't stopping at publishing a plethora of creator owned books. After getting his taste of Hollywood thanks to the successes of WANTED and KICK-ASS, it seems Millar has set his sights on seeing his creator owned ideas go from the pages of comics to the big screen.

Excerpt from SUPERCROOKS
For your first movie to go out and make $350 million, that was just incredible luck, and I suddenly understood the movie had to be at least as good as your comic or your reputation was going to take a hit. The only way to guarantee some kind of quality control in your adaptations is to make sure you're a big part of the production team and the best possible talent is involved in what's essentially big adverts for your books. Would we have had the superhero boom of the last decade if 'Catwoman' and 'Elektra' had led the charge instead of 'Spider-Man' and 'X-men'? I really lucked out with Timur [Bekmambetov] and Matthew [Vaughn]. Now I just want to make sure I keep getting the best talent attached to these things. We're lucky that there's been an extraordinarily high consistency with comic book adaptations from 'Iron Man' to 'History of Violence' and I want to keep that level up."

Could it be that Mark Millar is developing these books with the intention of taking them to Hollywood? It seems all roads lead to that theory since FOX has had held the rights to NEMESIS since August 2010, and last February screenwriter Matthew Michael Carnahan was rumored tied to the film. Rumors of NEMESIS' demise may be imminent -- at least that's how things appear on the surface. Late last week Joe Carnahan, who along with Michael Carnahan had been tied to the film's production, tweeted Millar implying that production on the film was over. According to Carnahan, production on the NEMESIS at Fox "got f###ed off" -- in other words, it's likely that the film might not be happening after all. At the end of the day, however, we will just have to wait and see.

Have you checked out the trailer for SUPERCROOKS? Are you looking forward to the next Millar and Francis Yu project? What about SECRET SERVICE coming from Millar in February? You can check out the full preview for SUPERCROOKS here.

#1 Posted by StarKiller809 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

That seems really cool. I don't have a comic shop, I just go to an entertainment store an they sell comics there. I get all of my comics from there and they get the new ones on time, however, they don't have almost anything besides DC Comics and Marvel. I would check this out but I don't have to shop to do so. I guess I'll have to hope for a trade that I can order online or something.

#2 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

That could be an interesting story to read. I will probably pick up the first issue to see what the story is about.

#3 Edited by The_Tree (7980 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down for just about any comic or movie Mark Millar is doing, I just wish he released issues on a consistent and frequent basis.

#4 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

super crooks looks really cool, i def. might pick it up

#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow that does look interesting! And the gal in red top and Karen Starr like hair intrigues me greatly...

#6 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Millar ever finish War heroes with Tony Harris?

#7 Posted by Deadcool (6755 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn Millar, I like him...

#8 Posted by KEROGA (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

i love all of millars self created books

#9 Edited by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller dodged a bullet with fox not doing Nemesis. Fox + Superheroes = F#@$K. I like Miller and his work so it's good to not see one tarnished by the devil fox

#10 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no other comic creator hates comics as much as Mark Millar.

#11 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Joy of joys, another prepackaged-for-hollywood book from Mark Millar. 

#12 Posted by Decept-O (7294 posts) - - Show Bio

I continually read about people's opinion regarding Millar and I know a lot of it hasn't been positive. However got to give him credit, he knows how to promote.

I am only familiar with his work on the Wanted comic series which I enjoyed ( the movie--not quite so much ). Having seen the preview panels for this new endeavor, I say I like what I see thus far.

Let's face it, even if his work is "pre-packaged" for Hollywood, is it a bad thing? Having competition for comic book based movies may get more from Marvel/Disney and Warner Bros/DC in the works.

#13 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I look forward to this. Anything new is worth checking out.

#14 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

@StarKiller809: you can order all Millars trades online.

#15 Posted by mikeclark1982 (422 posts) - - Show Bio

he is thinking like me. for me when i was younger, for any comic fan with a passion, you want to write the "big" comics. the avengers, justice league, x-men, spider man, batman, superman, the x-men. but after that, where do you go? the creators wrote these books that when they left, they would probably die or that would be the end. just like in spanish soaps. once the series ends, its it. that is the problem with comics now and all the continuity problems. marvel constantly stumbles over their stories, DC realized that it was too much and rebooted themselves. every writer wants to write their own characters. if they say no, they are lying through their teeth.

#16 Posted by Shazam78 (139 posts) - - Show Bio

If Millar was responsible for comic books and bad comic inspired movies I guess I would hate him. But he does everything right. If this gets made into a movie I'm buying tickets. The concept is great and would make it stand out. Let's focus on the villains instead of the heroes, heck bad guys have more fun(unless you're Johnny Bolt getting your face punched in by The Gladiator).

#17 Posted by Chris2KLee (172 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller's work hasn't clicked with me for awhile, although I can't fault a man for striking while his stuff is hot. Get paid.

#18 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

leinil YU drawingand Millar writing geat

#19 Posted by kennybaese (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

I always like the concepts behind Millar's creator owned stuff, but it always ends up devolving into blood and guts and lots of people shouting swear words. It's become predictable and boring at this point.

That said, I'll probably still check it out. His books always start out really good, anyway.

#20 Posted by The Impersonator (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm about to get crooked. =P

#21 Posted by snowtires (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior is a great book, but the huge gaps between issues has made it hard to get into. Every time a new issue comes out, I have to re-read the earlier ones, so I can remember what is going on. He should just wait and do one TPB every year, with a completed story. Then he could just send that same book to studios.

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (58349 posts) - - Show Bio

meh.
BB

#23 Posted by spidershamrock (1380 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a big Millar fan and I think he's written some great stories like Civil War and Superman Red Son but he also wrote crap like Nemesis and Wanted. Wanted had a lot of potential but the ending kinda fell flat with me. Haven't read Superior or Kick-Ass 2 yet but when the TPB's come out I'm all over it. Super Crooks looks pretty good too

#24 Posted by cbishop (7475 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not a huge fan of Millar's. I liked Wanted okay, had no interest in Kick-Ass or Nemesis, and was disappointed with Superior. I liked the first issue of War Heroes, but that was the only issue I ever saw. I just don't care for the man's writing. He has good ideas, but no style. He thinks four letter vocabularies make his work cool, and he was literally quoted as thinking Superior improved "the Superman archetype." He's now working his stories for maximum appeal to Hollywood, and while he WILL probably get those movies made, it seems to me that the stories always suffer when the goal is not the story, but what you can sell off of it. This will sound odd, considering the amount of output the man has, but I find him to be lazy in his craft - all flash and no substance.

#25 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

I am not a huge fan of Millar's. I liked Wanted okay, had no interest in Kick-Ass or Nemesis, and was disappointed with Superior. I liked the first issue of War Heroes, but that was the only issue I ever saw. I just don't care for the man's writing. He has good ideas, but no style. He thinks four letter vocabularies make his work cool, and he was literally quoted as thinking Superior improved "the Superman archetype." He's now working his stories for maximum appeal to Hollywood, and while he WILL probably get those movies made, it seems to me that the stories always suffer when the goal is not the story, but what you can sell off of it. This will sound odd, considering the amount of output the man has, but I find him to be lazy in his craft - all flash and no substance.

I agree with you in part cbishop. I definitely think that Mr. Millar seems ot have his eye on the Hollywood prize and that his scripts seem to have become nothing more than storyboards for the next movie advance cheque he wants to cash. Which is a shame, because the thing that keeps me reading and enjoying Millars stories (and its certainly not the dialogue) are the concepts and ideas behind the stories. He has some great ideas and though its a shame he doesn't spend more time and energy developing them, i do love to see what he's got. On top of that, and i may be in the minority here, i still think that Civil War was one of the few decent 'event' series to come out of mainstream comics and that was entirely due to Millar.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.