Follow

Mark Millar

Person » Mark Millar is credited in 1245 issues.

Mark Millar is a comic writer known best for his work on The Authority, and many flagship titles for Marvel, and the hugely successful Civil War storyline. He is currently focusing on creator-owned work.

DC Takes Legal Action Against Mark Millar's Nemesis

• 63 results
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Nova`Prime`

This is what Millar wanted when he made that reference, he wanted people to talk about it. What better way to get good and free publicity. Of course you're going to have to over reactors, "I am never gonna buy Marvel again".... "Good for DC Marvel's been stealing from them for so long!" Which that just makes you sound foolish. I mean how can you possibly say that and still look at DC as innocent, they stole Captain Marvel because he was a big muscular guy with black hair.

Back on track, Nemesis is going to be releashed, because having a cowl and a bloody smile doesn't make you a Batman/Joker amalgamation and just because someone made that reference in an interview to give the reader of the interview a vague idea what the character is like doesn't mean he is Batman mixed with Joker.

DCs always seemed kinda soft when it came to this stuff.. I am surprised they didn't raise a stink when Spidey tried to immitate Christan Bale's voice and made a mention of the Batman movie. And I am pretty sure DC characters get mentioned in Marvel comics more then Marvel in DC and why not. I would find it funny if say Cap was reading a Superman Comic.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

absolutely ridiculous
    ulrich200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By ulrich200
    @GreenGriffin said:
    " "What if Millar was a good writer?" We will never know. "
    Nah.It's impossible.
    Druid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Druid

I've a good number of comics over the years where a character is made to resemble another popular character, in jest usually. They change the look and name slightly etc. For DC to already be taking legal action over an image with slight similarities is insane. I could understand when the book comes out if it blatantly copies story details like character origins etc. for DC to start barking, but c'mon, what a joke. 

Anybody heard of LarryBoy? He's a homage to Batman in some ways too. How did DC miss that?

Blam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Blam

I really prefer DC to marvel, but i am going to say I would read this, even if it is a rip off of DC. Its still interesting

dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#56  Edited By dr.x

I got two words for you Rip Off 

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#57  Edited By HaloKing343

I think that's stupid. This picture is fine.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

mILLARS A GENIUS.. iF HE NEEDED ANY more PUBLICITY FOR HIS UPCOMING kICKASS &ALL HIS OTHER PROJECTS HE'S GOT IT!!!

mEANWHILE DC HAVNT GOT A LEGAL MORAL OR INTELLECTAUL RIGHT-LEG TO STAND ON

.....gENIUS

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By castleking
    shouldnt DC being going after deeper pockets?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Bearded Justice
    @Decept-O said:
    "I think the issue was in the description:   "What if Batman was the Joker?"     and "What if Batman was a total c***?"      The images I don't think DC could really have said or done anything about, despite the obvious intentions.    However this all plays out, its brought attention to Millar.  Maybe next time he should be a bit more careful with words.  He also could have brought this to DC as an Elseworlds book.  Interesting to see how this will end up. "
    --yeah I would've liked to see this as an Elseworlds. 

Here's the dealyo:  Someone should've stopped this before now.  An editor should've taken one look at this and said "Yeah, something needs to be changed."  Ok, people are gonna take other peoples ideas, and then take them a step further, or add on to them, or change something.  But... this is a little too obvious.  Not too sure if DC is gonna win this one, though... just a feeling. 
    swhorl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#61  Edited By swhorl
    @Hamz said:

" I support our DC overlords in their decision.   A homage 'Nemesis' may have been intended to be, but in the world of intellectual properties 'homage' is just another way of saying 'theft' which this project may not directly have been. But the similarities are just far too close for it to really be a legitimately acceptable homage.  The promotional art was hardly subtle in hiding the ideas they clearly took or 'stole' from the Batman and the Joker designs. And Millar actually coming out publicly and mentioning the character / series as being a Batman story turned upside down doesn't help either.   I'm all for paying homage to great characters between publishers, but there is a fine line between wanting to show respect and just outright basing your whole idea on one already thought up and established for you. Whatever happened to originality? Couldn't Millar have perhaps described 'Nemesis' without having to mention Batman or the Joker?   I'm sure many will disagree with me over this. But I can totally see why DC would be throwing a legal tantrum about it, the Joker and Batman are two of the most iconic characters in the history of comic books and very dear to them. Wouldn't you want to protect your money making babies if you had them? "

It's all just "fine line" stuff. 
    It's like it's okay to base characters on established characters if you don't say you're doing it.  (ie. Midnighter, Apollo, etc.) 
    It's okay to make comparisons between works.  People do it all the time, "this is like a combination of these other three movies." 

Apparently, it's just not a good thing to mention those comparisons as your inspiration for your project. 

- - - - - - - - 
    I can see why there is issue with the image, however.  The "smile" is just too similar.
    Avatar image for phantom_patriot
    Phantom Patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Phantom Patriot

I hope mark Millar keeps the original nature to it, AND the look. I think DC comics are just being little girls over the issue. If anything, this will only help make the batman franchise (even tho its not involved with it, entirely) have even more flavor and coolness.

Mark Millar's great work will never truly be appreciated because the world's too sensitive to try and understand it.

Seriously, DC, your rich enough, let marvel get SOME cash this year... lol

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#63  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @Phantom Patriot said:
    " I hope mark Millar keeps the original nature to it, AND the look. I think DC comics are just being little girls over the issue. If anything, this will only help make the batman franchise (even tho its not involved with it, entirely) have even more flavor and coolness. Mark Millar's great work will never truly be appreciated because the world's too sensitive to try and understand it.  Seriously, DC, your rich enough, let marvel get SOME cash this year... lol "
    Marvel has been copying DC for years they are sick of it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.