Comic Vine Question of the Week Results: Favorite Mark Millar Story

Posted by k4tzm4n (36433 posts) - - Show Bio

With the return of KICK-ASS and the premiere of JUPITER'S LEGACY, Mark Millar is proving his work with Fox's Marvel movie properties cannot keep him away from the comic book world. And while we're thrilled to see the return of KICK-ASS and enjoyed the start of JUPITER'S LEGACY, we wanted to reflect on the writer's history of tales. The community had two days to vote and one story soared above the competition: SUPERMAN: RED SON.

I honestly thought the race would be much closer than this, but it's understandable why the tale of Kal-El landing in Russia instead of the United States won. Not only is it widely regarded as one of Millar's best stories, but it's often called one of the must read Superman storylines, too. Plus, it's impossible not to love Red Son Batman and the ending is quite a jaw-dropper. That said, my vote went to THE ULTIMATES. I think the new approach to Marvel's biggest team was brilliant and is without question one of my favorite reads. Check out the poll results below and be sure to post which is your favorite and why!

Remember to check the homepage next Tuesday for an all-new "Comic Book Question of the Week!"

Staff
#1 Posted by Autopsad (84 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have vote for Red Son too, but I hoped i'd see the Authority at the second place !

#2 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

Old Man Logan is my favorite book about Wolverine, and thats sayin something considering i havent liked him since the 90s

#3 Posted by jwalser3 (4797 posts) - - Show Bio

Well of course!

#4 Posted by kennybaese (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

Old Man Logan and Enemy of the State are both really great, but I'm glad that Red Son won out in the end. That book is transcendent.

#5 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Red Son big time.

#6 Edited by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't vote. I thought he was strictly a marv l writer. I enjoyed the red son in the motion comic. Especially the parts where superman betrayed wonderwoman. That aside, this is where i first felt wondy and supes should be a couple. When you watch them flying through the sky together. And the reimagined green lantern corp. Good choice for americAs last stand against superman but they were no match for superman as he decimated there ranks. Good choice on the winner lads and lass' es

Btw, that is where my favorite comc book line comes from- with a level 15 intellegence, there is a high probability i will get you to commit suicide w i th in 5 replys.

#7 Posted by Teerack (5394 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want to see another Old Man Logan. You know Activation wanted to make an Old Man Logan game? I was part of a focus group back in 2011 about an Old Man Logan game, but I guess after no one liked X-Men Destiny they didn't bother. :(

#8 Edited by Overlander (431 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you for rank-ordering them (based on community response).

I'm not sure how Old Man Logan didn't win, but...That's the way voting goes.

#9 Posted by Mucklefluga (2523 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n Thanks for putting it in percentage order this time ! :D

#10 Posted by saoakden (1018 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Red Sun. I bought the book a week after Injustice came out because 1. It's Superman, 2. I've heard good things about it, 3. I have the Red Sun pack and I wanted to know more about The Superman from Russia. It's a good and interesting take on Superman.

#11 Edited by sasquatch888 (299 posts) - - Show Bio

@overlander said:

Thank you for rank-ordering them (based on community response).

I'm not sure how Old Man Logan didn't win, but...That's the way voting goes.

Wow you really thought Old Man Logan was better than the first two ultimates , red son and civil war ....Old Man Logan was good though.... im surprised to see Old Man Logan towards the top ..alot of people liked it too by what i see here ...when it came out the end of civilization thing was getting overdone to me ,,,, red son was so original and the ultimates was such an incredible modern era origin story for the avengers it really redefined them and the fact that civil war was in continuity and affected everything in marvel was awesome the scope of writing a story that changed the status quo for marvel for years was amazing .

#12 Posted by JamDamage (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

Cival War came in 2nd? Wow. Didn't expect that. I think Wanted scored so low because not a lot of people actually read it. Maybe people will when I comment about it. It's a parallel world where Supermans rogues and Batmans rogues fight each other. The world is divided into 5 continents with a major villain getting his own continent. Ras gets one,the Mandarin gets one, Red Skull gets one, Joker gets one, and Lex gets one. It's an homage to villains and it's great. The son of Deadshot who looks just like Eminem is the anit-hero of the story and he teams up with a Halle Berry looking Catwoman. All the characters represent their counterparts in a cheesy R rated way and it's awsome. The story is great, and trying to figure what character is really what is a lot of fun too. I highly recommend this book.

#13 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

How did Nemesis get more votes than Wanted??

And I voted for the Ultimates too, even though Im a DC guy

#15 Posted by SupermanJohnathanKentJr (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa, Civil War beating Old Man Logan and Wolverine Enemy Of The State is just sad. What is wrong with you comicvine? That event was horrible.

#16 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6117 posts) - - Show Bio

voted for Old Man Logan

#17 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

DUH! :D

#18 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Only 1% for 1985? It deserves better IMO.

#19 Posted by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Civil War and I hate Wolverine. But as much as I hate the most overplayed "hero" Old man Logan was the best

#20 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that I was the only person who voted for Marvel Knights: Spider-Man...

#21 Posted by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved civil war and old man logan. Have yet to read Red Son Superman. Need to get to it.

#22 Posted by Mezmero (898 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read Red Sun but I really loved Civil War and Old Man Logan. I'll need to check it out when I get the chance.

#23 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

Old Man Logan for me. Civil war second

#24 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Yayyy feels nice to see something I voted for winning :)

#25 Posted by sasquatch888 (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Cival War came in 2nd? Wow. Didn't expect that. I think Wanted scored so low because not a lot of people actually read it. Maybe people will when I comment about it. It's a parallel world where Supermans rogues and Batmans rogues fight each other. The world is divided into 5 continents with a major villain getting his own continent. Ras gets one,the Mandarin gets one, Red Skull gets one, Joker gets one, and Lex gets one. It's an homage to villains and it's great. The son of Deadshot who looks just like Eminem is the anit-hero of the story and he teams up with a Halle Berry looking Catwoman. All the characters represent their counterparts in a cheesy R rated way and it's awsome. The story is great, and trying to figure what character is really what is a lot of fun too. I highly recommend this book.

wow I totally agree Wanted was an amazing and captivating story and deserves to be at the top of the list ...in my opinion much better than old man logan

#26 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by EvanTheMexiJew (99 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a story in Morrison's JLA that Millar wrote about Amazo VS the League and Atom is the only able to stop him. I enjoyed that whole 1 issue run.

#29 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeboy said:

@novi_homines: check out the motion comic.. its just as good.

Will do! I'll try to get the comic first though.

#30 Edited by E1000 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior was awesome ! art & story were real good.

When you see this list, you see that this guy is talented, those are the best stories I've ever read !

#31 Posted by Onemoreposter (3951 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, really? I mean, I'm not surprised Red Son won, but was I the only one who read and enjoyed Wanted?

#32 Posted by adamhollander4 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine: Old Man Logan

#33 Edited by Timotheus316 (139 posts) - - Show Bio

Who the hell voted?? Sheesh! Old Man Logan was awesome. Especially watched in wide screen mode on the computer. Was like watching a movie.

#34 Edited by DCWarFan73 (138 posts) - - Show Bio

I was introduced to Millar with Red Son. I liked it but I felt some aspects were rushed. It could have been a 4 or 5 part series easily with the amount that he put in it. The anarchist Batman was great. I always love watching Bats take on Superman.

That being said Kick-Ass (and the subsequent sequels) sold me on his work. I loved everything in his books.

Civil War too is a great read. I would be hard pressed to vote for Kick-Ass over Civil War but they are both two of my favorites.

Where's the love for Nemesis or Superior? I loved Superior a lot. I am not a huge Superman fan but the analog used in the story is great. I loved it.

I plan on getting Super Crooks and Secret Service as well. More Millar the better I say.

#35 Posted by frogjitsu (478 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Son is the only Millar story that I really loved. Kick-Ass was just a bunch of "hey look! we can have superheros doing R-rated stuff" and Fantastic Four (why wasn't that in the list?) was disappointing. Civil War was alright I suppose. I haven't read any of the other stuff. The Ultimates never really appealed to me. I don't like grounded super heroes. I like outlandish stuff better. I'll take a "SUPER RETCON PUUUUUNCH!" over that any day of the week.

#36 Posted by Thor_Ul (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Even as a Superman fan myself, I'm surprised than Red Son stand above the other works of Millar, particulary Civil War and Ultimates. But even with the quality of RS, where was an interesting subtext on the political analysis of the meaning of the american dream, the pragmatic in me can't stop thinking if this pool would have been made in march, april 2012, the results would have been different.

#37 Posted by Dustwave (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War all the way. Had an incredible twist at the end with the death of Captain America. Followed by Old Man Logan because the image of him ripping Hulk from the inside out was just too damn badass. Third, even though I consider this just as good as OML, (or maybe better, I'm just more familiar with Marvel than DC) Red Son because if this would happen in the mainstream universe the JL would be screwed.

#38 Edited by Dbogan67theman (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War...where friends, teammates and even family members turn on one another.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.