Follow

Mark Millar

Person » Mark Millar is credited in 1245 issues.

Mark Millar is a comic writer known best for his work on The Authority, and many flagship titles for Marvel, and the hugely successful Civil War storyline. He is currently focusing on creator-owned work.

AMERICAN JESUS to be Next Millar Movie?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here  Online

Mark Millar covered a lot while he was promoting KICK ASS a couple weeks ago,  talking about a WANTED sequel, his own ideas for a SUPERMAN movie and revamp and also “the new superhero project” he might be directing.  For those you wondering about  his creator-owned project, AMERICAN JESUS, he also covered that as well during an interview with IGN.

Millar himself....
     Millar himself....

He's happy about the prospect...
     He's happy about the prospect...

If you can’t watch the clip, Millar says that there was a lot of interest in the book after the success of WANTED, but studios were quickly skittish about the comic’s hot-button, controversial plot.  He still thinks it’d be a success as a movie and is considering possibly producing the film independently the way he did KICK-ASS.

For those of you haven’t heard of the comic, it was published a few years ago by Dark Horse as CHOSEN before its reprints were renamed the more provocative AMERICAN JESUS.   Here’s the official synopsis from Millar’s website…

Imagine you're twelve years old and suddenly discover that you are the returned Jesus Christ. You can turn water into wine, make the crippled walk and perhaps even raise the dead. What do you and your family do, and how does it affect you knowing that you're destined to grow up and take part in a conflict that people have been waiting almost two thousand years for? Chosen has been described in the British press as Spider-Man meets The Book of Revelation. SFX Magazine describes it as Harry Potter for Christian fundamentalists.

It was a SHOCKING comic
     It was a SHOCKING comic

If KICK-ASS is successful, Millar just may have greater leverage to raise independent financing and make this movie independently. I’d be curious if he has similar intentions for THE UNFUNNIES, his unfinished creator-owned series that juxtaposed serious suburban tragedy with funny animals. 

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Man Mark Millar is starting to become the new Frank Miller

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By They Killed Cap!

not a fan

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

This is getting silly..... but if American Jesus is made, I would love to see the christian reaction (Probably pissed XD)
    Avatar image for phantom_patriot
    Phantom Patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Phantom Patriot

Mark Millar is a fearless writing, and I'm happy to see his works :)

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By NightFang3

I wonder who the'll get to play "AMERICAN JESUS".    

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Adam Michaels

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:

"Man Mark Millar is starting to become the new Frank Miller "

I guess it's all in the family name. 

/goes to change his name to Millor.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8  Edited By jakob187
    @aztek the lost: Sam Mendes is still working on getting Preacher done, but I think he's wanting to do a mini-series rather than a movie now.  Also...totally agreed.
    Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Bergquist

THE UNFUNNIES is 4 of 4 right i just pick them all up

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.