Maria was born in Chicago, Illinois. Her mother died during childbirth, something her father always resented her for. When she grew older she joined the armed forces then went on to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Maria Hill was elected into the Directorate position by the President after Nick Fury went AWOL at the end of Secret War. Though there were others more suited for the position, Maria was chosen for not being a “Fury Loyalist” (Which was seen as highly unfavorable).She has very little respect in the Super-human community for many reasons, such as trying to prohibit the Avengers reforming, and blackmailing Wonder Man to work for SHIELD.
Maria Hill is created by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artists David Finch and Danny Miki. She first appeared in New Avengers #4 (2005).
Mayor Story Arcs
She was adamantly in support of the Super-human Registration Act, nearly forcing Captain America into the Resistance after attacking him (Since he would not sign the act). Maria's allegiances lie more towards the United States, than to the international community as SHIELD is supposed to.
As the 50 State Initiative was set in motion, Maria passed the mantle of leadership to Tony Stark, realizing she was not the right person for the job. She became Stark's deputy director. During her time as his deputy, she grew to trust Stark more and her methods became much more in-conventional then they had been before.
Secret Invasion and Dark Reign
During Secret Invasion, the Helicarrier is attacked and taken over by Skrulls whilst she was on it. The Skrull tells her the Skrulls had caused her to be made Director and her job was to publicly surrender on behalf of humanity. Maria doesn't back down and she's gunned down. However Hill had used a LMD and the real Maria escaped and blew up the Helicarrier, killing the Skrulls on board. During Dark Reign, S.H.I.E.L.D was turned into H.A.M.M.E.R, Hill was fired by Norman Osborn and Maria began to work more closely with Tony and helps in various missions. Hill and Stark grow closer in their time spent together, even acting more intimately with each other on occasion.
After Osborn invades Asgard during Siege, Maria arrives before the Avengers and on her own with a huge gun. Maria saves Thor from being murdered by Osborn's forces and is instrumental in the fight against him. Steve Rodgers took notice of her actions during Siege and appointed her to lead a new team of Avengers. During a meeting of the three Avengers liaisons, Victoria Hand, Sharon Carter and Maria are discussing various Avengers affairs when the Absorbing Man attacks them. Maria comes up with a plan to defeat him. Together they beat him and arrest him again. Maria still works with Tony even during her time spent with the Avengers.
- Real Name: Maria Hill
- Height: 5' 10"
- Place of Birth: Chicago , USA
- Occupations: Former Deputy Director and Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.
In Other Media
- Maria Hill appears in the Iron Man: Armored Adventures episode "Technovore." She is seen working alongside other agents and approaching Tony Stark about needing the Helicarrier's engines repaired. She has a Russian accent in this show, similar to Natasha Romanoff.
- Maria Hill is featured in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes voiced by Kari Wührer. She appears as a central member of S.H.I.E.L.D. and a protege of Nick Fury serving as his second-in-command and being explicitly taken for tasks. She is often being corrected over mistakes or quizzed on her knowledge of S.H.I.E.L.D. affairs. She maintains her comic self's hard-edged and aggressive nature as seen in the episode "Iron Man is Born" where she immediately tried to arrest Iron Man at gunpoint when he took a threatening stance towards Fury. After she and Nick Fury foil a break-out plot by Baron Strucker and Grim Reaper at the Vault, Maria asks Nick Fury if the three supervillain prisons (Vault, Cube, and Big House) and are like this. Nick Fury tells her that "all four are different" causing Maria to wonder what the fourth prison is. In "The Breakout" Pt. 1, Maria Hill's question about the fourth prison is answered when it turns out to be the The Raft. In "Hail, Hydra" she is the new director of S.H.I.E.L.D after Nick Fury's sudden disappearance, and tried to arrest the Avengers. She did offer them a chance to register and work for S.H.I.E.L.D but the Avengers refused. In "The Ultron Imperative" it is revealed that at least in this reality her middle name is Christina.
- Cobie Smulders will play Maria Hill in the upcoming live-action film The Avengers. She is a central member of S.H.I.E.L.D. and will work closely with the Avengers Initiative.
- Maria Hill appears as an NPC in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 voiced by Margaret Easley. After Captain America objected to help Maria Hill, she turned to Iron Man to help oversee the Superhuman Registration Act. The players had to choose whether to sign up or go against the SRA. During the attack at Geffen-Meyer Chemical Plant, she piloted the Helicarrier to see that no Anti-Registration heroes can escape. When it came to the players invading Ryker's Island to get a nanite sample, Maria Hill encounters them with some S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents. She reluctantly gives up the key card to the portal leading to Prison 42. After the nanite-controlled supervillains incident at Prison 42, Maria Hill and some S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents confronted both groups to arrest Captain America's group. When Iron Man asks for Maria to get some medics for both groups, Maria declines stating that she is under direct orders from the President. When Iron Man threatens to have both sides retaliate, Maria Hill reluctantly tells her men to get the medics. Three days later, Maria Hill was present at the memorial service for the missing and presumed deceased heroes following the Prison 42 incident
- Maria Hill appears in Marvel: Avengers Alliance, she appears in the mission briefings, presenting the Agents mission, along with Nick Fury and Iron Man.