inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

MANIFEST DESTINY embraces the adventure genre in a whole new light. It's a mixture of American history and fantasy that really grips the reader. In issue #8, the crew is split up as the Ranidea (a giant, man-eating frog) sits in the water leaving half the group stranded in the water, including Lewis, since their boat is stuck in the water thanks to the arc underwater, and the other half stuck on land, which consists of Clark, Sacajawea, Miss Lebrun and others.

What this series does really well is balancing a large cast of characters with a pretty chaotic story. This story runs beat by beat as it jumps back and forth between these characters finding their new places within the group and the insanity that are the beasts of early America. Writer Chris Dingess sets up the whole ending of the issue early by having the Corporal help out Miss Lebrun. Between other moments of planning and waiting, we get to see the two again, at the end of the issue, which puts the Corporal in a whole new light.

This isn't a comedic book, by any means, but there is one incredibly funny moment where Shaw decides to try and a sneak over to the boat, by way of an early zip-line, and while what happens is pretty funny, the narration/diary is what makes this scene hilarious. Again, this is not supposed to be a funny book, but little light-hearted moments like that really give the reader a break from the suspense and fear these characters have been feeling.

The art team of Matthew Roberts and Owen Gieni do one phenomenal job on the last two pages of this issue. These two artists really do a great job at re-imagining creatures we're all familiar with, but making them terrifying. The very last splash page as so much detail and small little things you won't notice right away. This is some great looking art.

The Bad

Not too much bad to say about this book but there were a few moments, in the color department, that felt off. Overall, Owen Gieni's colors are fantastic, but there was one small moment where the background flashed pink, and while Gieni utilizes this effect over and over again, it didn't work in this one moment. Aside from that, everything about this book is awesome.

The Verdict

What I find myself loving about this issue of MANIFEST DESTINY and the series as a whole is that it's a great, yet bizarre, re-imagining of American history and a really intriguing series. It's hard to put down, even though the issue feels like it moves a bit slower than most other series. This is a top pick book though and it's great to see Roberts and Gieni redesign creatures we all know to be these horrific, monstrous beings capable of killing people any time they want. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I'll make you a deal. I'll read this if you read Velvet.

Deal?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I remember reading about those darn giant man eating frogs in school.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I'll make you a deal. I'll read this if you read Velvet.

Deal?

Your move...

No Caption Provided

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@inferiorego: Were you not the one who wasn't reading Velvet? Was that G-Man? lol.

<_<...

I'll still check it out. Assuming comixology has it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

This continues to be one of my favorite books out right now. Curious to find out the deal with the arch underwater and how it relates to the one seen earlier in the series. Glad Sacajawea got a few moments to shine. If I've got one complaint about this book it's I feel she should have a bigger role. Can't help but think they're holding her character back for a bigger reason.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: Were you not the one who wasn't reading Velvet? Was that G-Man? lol.

<_<...

I wasn't reading it, so I took your challenge and bought the first trade... again, your move. mwhahahaha

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

<_<...

I wasn't reading it, so I took your challenge and bought the first trade... again, your move. mwhahahaha

Oh word.

It was awesome wasn't it?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego said:

@fallschirmjager said:

<_<...

Oh word.

I won't be able to read it until probably the plane ride to San Diego next week, but I did buy it. A step in the right direction

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

@inferiorego said:

@fallschirmjager said:

<_<...

Oh word.

I won't be able to read it until probably the plane ride to San Diego next week, but I did buy it. A step in the right direction

-.-.

In that case I am waiting until tomorrow, cos its all ready past my bedtime.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

I really like this comic!

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This comic so good! Picked up issue one a few months back, then after reading it bought all the rest of the available issues. I'm really excited to see what comes as they move further west

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fallschirmjager

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.