In your opinion is mandarin a Tech Villain or a magic Villain?

#1 Posted by InnerIronMan (65 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Tem Borjigin (120 posts) - - Show Bio

He's neither. Fundamentally he's an opportunistic predator. The kind of person who will steal a bit of tech there, con an old man on a mountain into teaching him Chi tricks here, steal an ancient scroll from a tomb there, and so forth. He's a Frankenstien monster of various paths of power.

#3 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

He falls into the that same dodgy category as Abra Kadabra and Mxyzptlk.

#4 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say he is an intellectual villain. more than either of the two options listed.

#5 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Of the two, he's relied more heavily and predominantly on technology. I think he doesn't even necessarily see them as any different, whereas magic is just a science, a fairly
established reasoning in the Marvel Universe anyways.

#6 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Well originally his rings themselves were established as magic, setting up a nice dichotomy of magic vs technology. Later they retconned it that it was Malkun technology from Fin Fang Foom's ship. 
But his last really grand scale plan involved using an object of vaguely mystical origin called the Heart of Darkness to knock out Earth's technology. But of late he's turned to more tech based pursuits.  
Such as his attempted release of the Extremis virus in aerosol form. 

So I have to agree with Tem on this one. He seems to have hit the nail on the head.

#7 Edited by OmegaHans (205 posts) - - Show Bio

He's an architect. I have always seen Mandy as more of a tech villain, just unique in the way he is not strictly tech like his No. # 1. antagonist Iron Man, because a lot of times he prefers not to use it all the time because he's a high level martial artist. His rings are alien tech with magical elements, but they're still tech, and he's spent years learning all about the alien science for its usage.

He ranks insanely high in genius I.Q., as he's the only human who is the most expert on Fin Fang Foom's race's and owned his own starbase, castles in China, and ran the Prometheus weapons company.

He seems to be particularly good at designing assault weapons and security devices. He designed a high tech Interceptor Ray during the Vietnam War.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.