Follow

Mandarin

Character » Mandarin appears in 537 issues.

The Mandarin is the arch enemy of Iron Man. A remarkable genius with both earthly and extraterrestrial technology, the Mandarin is also an exceptional athlete, swordsman, and martial artist.

Ben Kingsley is a great choice to play Mandarin

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VampireSelektor

I really should be doing homework, but here it goes:

1) There are Chinese who descend from Europe. These are people who's ancestors migrated from countries like Russia and Turkey (e.g. the Uyghur,)

2) Every Chinese state has a Muslim community. The Uyghur are the largest ethnic group in Xinjiang, a near uninhabitable region.

3) Why would the Ten Rings follow Fu Manchu? Why would an Arab terrorist group follow a Han Chinese crime lord? A Uyghur as Mandarin makes for a better fit.

4) Iron Man was created in a time where Communism posed an economic, military, and ideological threat. China's merely an economic rival now. No one's afraid of the Chinese destroying Western civilization (e.g. capitalism). Iron Man 3's Mandarin would need to better fit the times.

5) One could argue that a Uyghur Muslim is the perfect foil to Tony Stark. A Uyghur terrorist living in government-run, conformist China vs. a wealthy American innovator living uninhibited? Why not?

Thoughts?

I've been watching TV all morning. My brain feels like bubblegum dental plaster.

EDIT: Apparently the Mandarin's half-Chinese, half-British with Mongolian ancestry. Hmm.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Eww bubblegum dental plaster.. -shivers-

Tem Borjigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Tem Borjigin

He's not even half Chinese, at least not ethnic Chinese, which is to say Han. He's half ethnic Mongol/half British.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evilvegeta74

This is who should have played the Manderin

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VampireSelektor

@evilvegeta74: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa doesn't look Chinese to me. Ben Kingsley at least looks like a minority or half-cast from China.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By evilvegeta74

@VampireSelektor said:

@evilvegeta74: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa doesn't look Chinese to me. Ben Kingsley at least looks like a minority or half-cast from China.

Because he is Japanese, unlike Kingsley who is English and living under a stage name ( real name Krishna Pandit Bhanji ) whom has no asian features whatsoever right? Compare the two seriously.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FearTheLiving

I agree, at first I wasn't really fond of it but after watching the trailer a bunch and seeing the poster I can see it and really like the choice.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By evilvegeta74

Whats done is done, I will be in the theatre when it comes out.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VampireSelektor

@evilvegeta74 said:

@VampireSelektor said:

Because he is Japanese, unlike Kingsley who is English and living under a stage name ( real name Krishna Pandit Bhanji ) whom has no asian features whatsoever right? Compare the two seriously.

1) Yes, Tagawa is Japanese. I meant that Tagawa doesn't look like he could pass as Chinese.

2) Again, there are Chinese minorities who look like Ben Kingsley

3) This is just opinion, but a half-Mongolian, half-Briton of Mongolian descent would probably look more like Kingsley than Tagawa.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilvegeta74

@VampireSelektor: I know what you're saying, I just disagree with Kingsley in the Mandarin role , but still support the movie.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VampireSelektor

@Tem Borjigin said:

He's not even half Chinese, at least not ethnic Chinese, which is to say Han. He's half ethnic Mongol/half British.

Was Mandarin's father completely Mongolian?

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VampireSelektor

@evilvegeta74: I can't argue with that. Good morning.

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

Sooo... What do you think now? Well, was indeed a good election.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_ul: I liked the casting choice. "Iron Man 3" was Stark's "Wrath of Khan". The "Mandarin" as the leather shoes with no socks wearing, hair-slicked back, gene modifying world manipulator to Stark's hoodie-d up, armor-wearing, one-step behind hero is inspired. Stark is a futurist who main pursuits are philanthropy and capitalism. He's vain, but good-hearted. "Mandarin" is his obnoxious mirror set on world domination. Is this isn't someone Iron Man should fear? The person who's one step ahead and working against him?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.