Man-Thing Vs. Swamp Thing

#1 Posted by Druid (104 posts) - - Show Bio

The Man-Thing and Swamp Thing seem awefully similar not only in name but also origin and abilities. One of these has to be a rip-off of the other. Does anyone have any idea which one came first?

#2 Posted by darth grievous (19 posts) - - Show Bio

when was swamp thing made

#3 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio

i know thats old.but i made a little search and discovered when they first came.

Man-Thing camein may 1971,Swamp Thing came in july 1971.

that makes Man-Thing a bit older than his DC counter part

#4 Posted by Dead Shooter (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i say Swamp Thing would win because he is waaaay smarter

#5 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Matezoide said:

"i know thats old.but i made a little search and discovered when they first came.

Man-Thing camein may 1971,Swamp Thing came in july 1971.

that makes Man-Thing a bit older than his DC counter part"

True.  But that doesn't necessarily mean Swamp Thing is a rip off of Man Thing like the original poster implies.

Beyond being semi-human things that live in the swamp and look scary, they really don't have too much in common.  Swamp Thing is a plant elemental (most of the time).  Man-Thing's touch burns whatever knows fear.  Similar look and names.  Different shtick.

#6 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7857 posts) - - Show Bio

man thing cant actually die

hes been chopped into pieces then eaten then reformed because acidic
hes been chopped into pieces reformed
Hes gone through a zombie plaugue that ate anything and he re grew 
Hes gotten a lamp post shoved through him
He has the power to kill with a touch
And hes cute ;3
#7 Posted by Amazingoctus (3122 posts) - - Show Bio

now I'm not saying that swamp thing is a rip-off of man-thing (sometimes people actually think up similar things, sometimes around the same time) but man-thing definitly had some part in swamp thing's creation. I mean c'mon marvel comes out with a swamp monster that has thing in it's name and then in that same year dc  comes out with a swamp monster with thing in it's name. seriously? I know that they have a lot of differences but they also have a lot of similarities.
#8 Edited by PBPereira (3 posts) - - Show Bio

The Wikipedia article on Swamp Thing mentions this. It also suggest a similarity of both characters to the Heap, a character from the 40's.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.