My thoughts about Henry Cavill as Superman

Posted by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really not sure what to think about this, but here's some first impressions.

• That cape is too damned long; he looks like he's going to trip over it if he walks forward. I know that the cape's primary function is to illustrate movement while Supes flies, but having it that long just makes it look silly.
    I remember reading Jim Lee's commentary on All-Star Superman's character design where he commented that Superman's cape has always been a "little below the butt" affair; this makes sense. Capes should be go to the back of the knee, tops.
  • Something about the hair really weirds me out; it's very... round? I don't know. It doesn't look like the type of thing that you can throw glasses on and transform a man into Clark Kent.
  • I like the logo. It's kind of a throwback to older "S" designs, and it's not too stylized.
  • Is he wearing a ring?
  • This Superman looks a little... old? Hurm. I guess I'm used to a youthful Christopher Reeve/Brandon Routh; this Superman looks like he's been in the game for awhile.
#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio
  • I like the cape.
  • .... I don't get why people are freaking out over the hair.... is it because he's missing that curl?
  • Agree.
  • Not that I can see, no.
  • I'm not seeing the age you see. I'm seeing just a regularly aged guy, not an "older" guy. 
#2 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

not a ring, just a spark

#3 Posted by helblzer (3 posts) - - Show Bio

not bad, pretty cool actually...and better than nick fucking cage any day.

#4 Edited by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks good in the suit, but his face and hair looks weird. I know in the main thread I wrote the first half of the lyrics of "When you're a Jet" from West Side Story. I'm guessing it's just the picture. Him looking old is probably the picture, too. My guess is the long cape is to make him look regal.

My biggest problem is that the casting director said that American men weren't manly, when Henry Cavill looks like the average actor. The guy fills in the suit well and looks like Superman, but I don't see how he's anymore manly than American actors.

#5 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Hey I made a bullet point :)
  • The cape is fine. You have to take into account that he's almost taking a knee in this image. Also, I can't remember the last good image of Supes I've seen that didn't have the cape down to his knee at least.
  • The hair is the first thing that caught my eye. But I got over it really quickly.
  • I like the shield, as well. The size, the "S" itself, all very nice. It doesn't overpower the suit, but it isn't overlooked either.
  • Nope, no ring.
  • I don't really see the age thing. However I see what you mean when you compare him to Reeve or Routh, both of whom had very youthful faces.
#6 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like longer capes on superheroes, but I agree with pretty much everything else. 
Especially the hair.  How hard is it to make Supes' hair?  This just looks... odd.  Also, I don't necessarily like the texture of the suit, but that's a little nit-picky.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio

the cape does look a bit long...but I wouldn't want a short cape like All Star Superman...I never liked his look whenever someone draws him with the short cape...it should go atleast to his ankles if not a little longer so it's just slightly dragging on the ground when he's walking....this cape looks like it's going to be dragging a couple of feet behind him...though it does look awesome in the pic

#8 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

• I don't really see the age thing. However I see what you mean when you compare him to Reeve or Routh, both of whom had very youthful faces.

Maybe it`s because he crouches, he has shadows in his face and the pic is a bit granular.

#9 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio
@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Maybe it`s because he crouches, he has shadows in his face and the pic is a bit granular.

That's true. But I do think he just has a much more angular and mature face.
#10 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi:

I think so too. I was gonna write it to my post, actually. But then I looked up Cavills age (he`s not even 30), and the decided not to write it here.

#11 Posted by Savage_Hawkman (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Old? Cavill is 29. Henry Cavill did a good job in the Tudors acting so I have faith he'll do justice to Superman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.