Follow

Man of Steel

Movie » Man of Steel released on June 14, 2013.

Reboot of the Superman movie franchise and the beginning of the DC Extended Universe, with Henry Cavill as the man of steel. Directed by Zack Snyder, of 300 and Watchmen fame. Written by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan, director of The Dark Knight Trilogy.

M.O.S. Trailer Pa Kent Advices Supes To Let Kids Die Maybe? What?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

Love the trailer. Still have a bit of a hardon, its getting smaller. But since when did Jonathan advice Clark Kent to let people die if it means keeping his secret identity. I get his point, but maybe he could have phrased it more tactfully.

Thoughts?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jphulk26

I´ve read some radical interpretations of Papa Kent, but that is real radical. The Kents are Supes moral compass, it makes no sense.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By JLDoom

Like others have said, maybe this line was edited

The job of whoever makes the trailer is to make people watch the movie, so some controversy might help. I mean, Superman movie or not, it was a powerful line that left an impact on viewers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jphulk26: dude it's half a sentence from a small clip in a trailer also Pa Kent has told Clark to keep his identity secret at all costs, even if it meant that others die in past comics so no, it's not out of character.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmashBrawler

I knew this line was going to cause some controversy. What do I think about it?

@JLDoom said:

Like others have said, maybe this line was edited

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 80sBaby

There's not enough context to really judge whether the line was OOC for Pa Kent or not. We have no way of knowing what else was said before or after.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Press Oblivion

I'm on the fence about it but as always, I will reserve judgement until after I have seen the flick.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jphulk26

@JLDoom: @Jonny_Anonymous: @SmashBrawler: @80sBaby: But come on, the editor´s smart enough and gets paid enough to know thats how it would be taken. I get it, and I get how Pa Kent could mean that, like make sure your super careful when using your abilities. But my point is, I just don´t want the disbelievers to be given any amunition.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 80sBaby

@jphulk26: "Haters are gonna hate." The "disbelievers" are gonna complain no matter what. If you're expecting this movie will somehow be so awesome that everyone who hates Superman will now suddenly become a fan, well good luck. :)

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Huh. I thought this thread was spam at first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering it is a trailer, i would wait until you see the context that line is used in before losing your mind

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By colonyofcells

For Superman, some decisions will be hard to make bec. sometimes whatever you do, some people will die so you can probably choose the path where less people will die. Jonathan might be thinking that Clark can save more people as an adult if Clark is able to keep his secret so some sacrifices of lives might be needed in the meantime. If child Clark is locked up by the government, Clark won't be able to help anybody when Clark is an adult. It is also possible that Jonathan only cares about his own family which is quite typical of the majority of the human species. Typical humans can also sometimes care only about the self and not even care about the family or relatives or neighbors. My own wife hates kids and does not want to have any kids. I also decided not to have kids long ago since others are already manufacturing many kids and I believe that is already too many for the long term survival of our species. I also believe, sometimes, some lives have to be sacrificed for the greater good of the human species.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By SUNMAN

@jphulk26: wait for the full context don't jump to conclusions solely on the trailer. It sounded like thats what he was saying, but they just used a phrase in the trailer. He might have said things after it, or they might have cut out dialogue before it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

We can only wait or see, however, if I were in Pa Kent's shoes, I might let the die at the risk of my son's secret being exposed and having him taken away to some government lab somewhere.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Xanni15

@The Stegman said:

We can only wait or see, however, if I were in Pa Kent's shoes, I might let the die at the risk of my son's secret being exposed and having him taken away to some government lab somewhere.

Clearly he has powers, how would they be able to stop him from going back to the farm? Though this would but the three of them at risk.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe Pa Kent was just kidding ?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By joshmightbe

Well look at it this way Pa Kent's primary interest is keeping his son safe, the maybe indicates that he was unsure what the situation meant for his son's safety therefore he's unsure whether Clark saving the kid was worth the potential threat to his son.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.